Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

Refurbished Nikon D40x body from B&H

I am thinking that this with the 35mm f/1.8 lens may be small/light enough to carry around everyday and should be much better than the LX5 (and the price seemed pretty good). If anyone thinks this is a ridiculous assumption, please let me know so I can cancel my order. Also, I don't know much about buying refurbished (from manufacturer) camera bodies but assume it should be fine.

Edit: Just saw Al's post, very nice! :)

Edited by shellylh

Refurbished Nikon D40x body from B&H

I am thinking that this with the 35mm f/1.8 lens may be small/light enough to carry around everyday and should be much better than the LX5 (and the price seemed pretty good). If anyone thinks this is a ridiculous assumption, please let me know so I can cancel my order. Also, I don't know much about buying refurbished (from manufacturer) camera bodies but assume it should be fine.

Edit: Just saw Al's post, very nice! :)

You know Ken Rockwell loves D40, right? tongue.gif

IMG139.jpg

Casio CDP-100. Got a great deal on something that was on my "medium list" to replace the upright piano that my dad bought me before he passed away, which was destroyed in a fire last weekend. The kids and I have already spent time tonight playing around a bit. I think this is going to be fun. :)

**BRENT**

44mm (and it's $23 shipped)

A little too big for my small wrist but I'll take one at $23! Is it still available?

Edit: Checked Chronoshark and it looks like today's deal is on a winder already so I may be a day too late :(

Edited by raffy

Since many seemed interested in the Fuji X100 recently posted, here is an update. I love this camera. For me, it is Goldilocks - just right. I've tried many small cameras from p&s (Canon S90/95) to bridge (Panasonic LX3, Canon G11) to Micro 4/3 (Panasonic GF1 and G1) to compact APS/C (Sony Nex 5). Each of those had something to recommend it, but were not the experience I was looking for. Of those, the Panasonic GF1 and G1, and the Sony Nex 5 were the closest to what I was seeking. Then the Fuji x100 arrived, and after a couple of weeks use, it is clearly what I was looking for in a 2nd or take anywhere camera to the Nikon dslr rig. It's not perfect, but damn close for my needs. The physical controls for aperture, shutter, exposure, etc are terrific - the menu system, not so much, but nothing to break the deal, and menus can be improved via firmware. I don't mind the fixed lens at all. In fact, I applaud Fuji for going that way to maximize lens/sensor/size/weight in the camera. The 35mm equivalent focal length is perfect the uses this camera will be put to. Most of all, I love the viewfinder - bright, and usable. The hybrid part of superimposing stuff over the optical is no gimmick, and the ability to switch back and forth from optical to electronic instantly is genius. A useful, accurate viewfinder is what I missed most in all the other small cameras I've tried, so this was a major deal maker for me

Finally, image quality is excellent, and high iso capability is terrific - perfectly usable to iso 1600, and when forced to use 3200 or even 6400 (gasp), the keeper rate is quite good. Here are some samples, all of them just snapshots, and most in lousy lighting.

Hand held close up

FujiX100-1.jpg

Sky/tree shot for color check

FujiX100-2.jpg

Bright noon day sun and shadows

FujiX100-5.jpg

1/30 f/2 iso 3200

FujiX100-6.jpg

Watch out, Phil Mickleson

FujiX100-7.jpg

Some Key West vacation snaps

FujiX100-9.jpg