Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

I have a baggie full of those dessicant packets you find in your vitamin and medication bottles. I can give you a handful of those to put in an enclosed sandwich bag along w/ your phone, if you want to stop by. Not sure if it's any better than rice, but I figure their purpose is to draw moisture away from tablets, so they must be good at it ...

I'm considering just packing the phone (in rice bag and all) in my luggage for the trip. I can survive without it but the faster I get this fucker running again, the less stress for me.

Goddamn phone. I need to stop depending on it.

use a different phone for your trip, then check your iphone when you get back.

I think this is the best advice.  Pick up some cheap POS off CL or something like that and let the iPhone sit till you get back.  As Marc said there's not guarantee the rice is going to work regardless of how long it sits for.  I'd also plan for the phone's useful life to be severely shortened even if it does come back after the rice treatment.  I wonder how much Gazelle will give you for a water-triggered 5?

I'd also plan for the phone's useful life to be severely shortened even if it does come back after the rice treatment. 

There's simply no way to know that for sure. If I'm unlucky though, at least my next upgrade is due in January and so hopefully it can last that long.

I decided to test the phone at ~36 of rice time. Works like a charm. I was getting one repeated pop-up for "This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably" so I very thoroughly cleaned the lightning port and all the contacts. I'm pretty sure it was just rice residue because I haven't had the message display for 45 min. I was concerned it might have issues charging but none so far.

Might still pack the rice, just in case. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

• Like 4

iPhone 5 completely submerged for 2-3 seconds this morning. Case removed, SIM pulled, now in the bag of rice for the next 36 hrs.

Anyone actually had luck with this? I can't wait any longer than tomorrow to try and turn it back on since I'm leaving for vacation on Wednesday. Would need to get to the Apple store tomorrow night.

It took over three days for my daughter's iPhone to come back after being submerged in water.  But it did work.

• 3 weeks later...

While I don't love the 5s aspect ratio, I wouldn't want the screen size to get bigger as it's near the limit of using it in one hand comfortably, at least for me.  As Ric said, wouldn't actually mind if they brought back something in 4/4s size (fat chance).

As for iPod Classic, I'm little sad to see it go but it was getting bit expensive for that it was and it just felt very unresponsive compared to other current devices.

Edited by Salt Peanuts