What did you do today?

riceboy

Whitney? Doesn't look like it, I don't think

Alta Peak in Sequoia NP. Views from the top were somewhat occluded by thunderclouds, but still pretty nice. The picture is a view of the peak that evening from about 7000'.

on the way home from some errands I was driving down our small street ... but glad I wasn't going any faster.

Wow, knowing how tight that area is, it is a miracle that nobody was hurt/killed, and that it didn't do any major property damage. Not that it is all that easy to play speed racer on that street anyway, but at least you left your NOS at home, eh?

Peter, I am jealous.

Come join me someday, eh? JP's already had a preview of what hiking the Sierra can do ;)

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alta Peak in Sequoia NP. Views from the top were somewhat occluded by thunderclouds, but still pretty nice. The picture is a view of the peak that evening from about 7000'.

Wow, knowing how tight that area is, it is a miracle that nobody was hurt/killed, and that it didn't do any major property damage. Not that it is all that easy to play speed racer on that street anyway, but at least you left your NOS at home, eh?

Come join me someday, eh? JP's already had a preview of what hiking the Sierra can do ;)

Sounds like it was a great hike Peter, and the pic is awesome.

They ended up taking down the rest of the oak, which is sad, but apparently the remaining half (it was two major trunks) hung right over the road.

Just returned from taking my oldest grandson (4) camping for the weekend. The private campground had planned activities. Took him to the open meet of the White Creek Railroad which is 1:8 scale trains. This is the 3rd largest layout in the US with 5 miles of main line and just short of 8 miles total including side tracks. The members give guests a ride, typically about 20 minutes. Our host had us out for more than an hour. Great fun!

The kids got to make their owned shaved ice, created fathers day cards, rode the "train" ride in the campground (little cars pulled by a golf cart) as well as hay rides and all the playground toys and pool. Little guy ran his little legs off and slept like a log.

A great weekend for both the grand parents and the grandson.

Friday:

Had to pick up wine in Lompoc. Fungi (Hiroshi) was waiting around for his Sunday plane flight with nothing to do, so I gave him a tour of northern Santa Barbara county. Took Hwy 1010 to Hwy 1 and then to Lompoc. After a bit of searching, we found the warehouse and picked up the wine. Then we took Hwy 246 to Solvang and then Alamo Pintado road north. We drove past the miniature horses and on to Los Olivos. We did a wine tasting at Longoria Vineyards. Then we headed back to Isla Vista and Hiroshi's apartment, where I dropped him off. Right now he's on a plane to Tokyo.

I hope you had a good time Hiroshi. Good luck with your job hunt in Japan.

Yesterday:

My brother, sisters and I opened my dad's storage locker. It hadn't been opened for 8 years. The lock was difficult to open and it took a tire iron to force open the sliding bolt. At least we know that nobody has messed with it. :P

We took the stuff to my dad's house and went through it. As expected, it was mostly junk. However, there were a few unexpected treasures. There was a 1940 or 1950 era newpaper photographer's camera. There was also a Nikonos skin diving camera. My father bought the later in Japan while we were stationed on Guam (6/65 - 6/67). My brother took those.

The treasure that I found is a Sony reel-to-reel tape deck. I think it's a CT-150, but am not sure. It says "Stereo 150" on it. My dad also bought it while we were on Guam (I think). I don't know if it works, but it is physically in excellent shape so we'll see.

Anyway, I'm glad that's done. Best of all, there were zero fights over anything. :)

8 hours on the train, but I am now in Quebec city. Pretty cool so far, went wandering the streets and came across several blocks where it was roped off to traffic and people were playing music. Saw a bunny on a leash in the middle of what appeared to be a rave in the middle of old Quebec city.

6/18 - Drove from Charleston, IL to Kennesaw, GA

6/19 - Drove from Kennesaw, GA to Aiken, SC

- Found out we have no chance of internet access until 6/22

- Drove to liquour store, bought bourbon

- Drove back to the apartments, drank bourbon, .... better

- Went to dinner, ate a bunch of sushi/sasheme

6/20 - Went to a great little coffeshop for breakfast

- drove to Columbia, SC for lunch with friends

- Spent four hours at edventure playing fireman

- came home drank bourbon, had dinner

6/21 - Went to morning service at a beautiful, historic Episcopal church in

Augusta, GA

- Ate lunch at an Indian restaurant

- Spent the afternoon at the pool

6/22 - Went to check on internet access and was told no way, no how

- smacked ITS helpdesk worker upside-the-head

- posting here

Tried to activate my phone last night with no success. Woke up a bit early and called AT&T. They told me everything was fine on their end and to call Apple. I figured I'd just swing by one of the Apple stores in Manhattan, so that's what I did. They told me it was AT&T's problem. While walking to work, I swung by an AT&T store and they used a nice hack to get my iPhone activated. Now it's all gravy.