What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the part I thought was awesome was the stories about the First lady saving the Lincoln portrait minutes before the British burned it down. The personal touches from each president etc that made the place their own and showed their humanity.

i dont remember the British invading after the 1860s :)

i thought they got rid of the White House tours a decade ago

One of my wifes friends is a Coast Guard officer assigned there to social duties and got us a tour. That said, you can write your congressperson and request a tour.

i dont remember the British invading after the 1860s :)

I think that was in 1814 :)

Indeed

As the British army of approximately 4,000 approached, the majority of Washington residents fled the city. On August 24th American defenders, with President James Madison in attendance, were quickly routed by the invaders in a battle at Bladensburg a few miles from the city. A messenger was dispatched to the White House to warn First Lady Dolley Madison of the impeding arrival of the British. She and her staff fled by carriage across the Potomac - taking with her the full-length portrait of George Washington that had been torn from a White House wall.

Thanks guys. I have some Prednisone for such times, which will usually stop the thing within a day, but that's a full day. Now it's just a matter of getting through the day. Called in for the pain meds. We'll see if doc takes pity on me. They're not exactly liberal with those things.

Just point out to the docs that you were a child star. Then they'll knock each other over trying to get you the prescription.

I just watched a live cam of the Western Wall in Israel and saw my daughter. :)

Very cool, Mike.

I've spent the day basically talking to stone walls, even though these particular walls look like humans and pay me a lot so they can reject what they pay me to say. Oh well.

Well...

Slept about 5 hours last night, and not very well.

Did some work around the house in the morning.

Got a call from a friend, ended up talking to her for an hour and a half.

Drove to mum's house, helped her bag up some detritus left in her garage by my late stepfather. (:-\)

Picked up a scrip for Flownase, which does JACK SHIT to help me breathe.

Bought a new cutter head for my electric shaver.

Picked up a Wein Hot Shoe to PC cord Safe Sync adapter.

Went back home, called my tax accountant, arranged to pick up my tax paperwork.

Drove to said accountant's house, paid him, got paperwork.

Went back home, got sucked into an a hour and a half long game of Warzone 2100 (:palm:)

Tore myself away from the computer, went out and picked up the bagged detritus from mum's house so I can throw it out tomorrow. (I didn't want it rattling around in the car all day.)

Arranged a ride to Providence, RI tomorrow where I have a DJ gig(!)

Fended off several requests to give a ride to other people to the above tomorrow.

Went to my (new, 24-hour during the week) gym, around midnight.

Worked out for an hour and a half, took a painfully hot shower afterward.

Now it's 2:50 in the morning, it's pouring outside, I should be sleeping (I'll be up until the wee hours tomorrow) but I'm about to pile back into the Subaru and go get a #$%& gallon of milk.