What did you do today?

riceboy

Went to a wedding yesterday. Everyone else staying locally and was drinking like you do at weddings. Including the wife. So I was the only sober one there (on driving home duty) which was intensely irritating and boring. People, including me I assume, talk all sorts of shit when ratted and believe themselves to be interesting.

My better half also has the even more irritating ability to drink copiously and wake up the next morning without a trace of a hangover. Unlike me, who needs a fair chunk of a day to get back into the land of the living.

So at the moment, I'm just tired and pissed off.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i bet i can find it somewhere here. :)

I seriously doubt it. :( I've met a lot of bakers from the US over the years and they are shocked at the range of products we can get. One guy from Vermont who makes pancake mixes and the like was bowled over that we have 4 different types of fresh yeast to choose from, flown in every week. Now Ireks might be in the US since they are by far the largest supplier of this stuff in the world.

Spent most of yesterday cleaning my office and preparing for life without electricity.

Some nimrod truck driver tried to turn his semi around in our parking lot, neglected to notice the electric wires and phone lines overhead, and drove right through them. He took out the wires, the pole that secured them, and a bunch of bricks the pole was bolted to. Then a huge storm passed through Chicago, flooding many highways, houses, and of course, our office building.

Luckily, I have great landlords, plus they run a business out of the same building. My side of the building was deemed safe (their's wasn't), but they can't repair the electricity unitl the wall is repaired. They plan to reroute the main breakers to my side of the building. It will be dry by Monday, but I have to plan for the likelihood of not having electricity for a few days.

Good times ...

That's pretty badass,comgrats.

@jvlgato: a driver at my company pulled a similar move something like fifteen years ago. They still call him Sparky Bob.

Thanks for the well-wishes. Got my rug, nothing exciting. Just a bound piece of beige berber from Lowe's. Electronics are pretty much set up. Need to put all the records up on my Ikea shelves today, and get the kitchen set. Posting now from Bruegger's bagels. Far better breakfast, similar price, free wi-fi.

That sucks, Salty. I have not had any experience with that personally, but I have seen the subject come up on dpreview before.

I spent much of today (and what felt like all of yesterday) banging my head against rsync, and still haven't figure out how to do what I want. I really should be posting this in the computer forum :palm:

Just dropped a picture full of 8gb CF card into a glass of water. :palm:

Predictably, the picture's hadn't been downloaded into a computer yet.

Don't use a hairdryer like someone suggested. Here is what I recommend for cellphones that take a swim... I think it should probably work here too.

Wipe down the card with a rag or paper towel (I'm sure you've already done this, though). Get a small tupperware-style container, put rice in it, put card into rice, let it sit at least overnight, if not for a full day. Then try to grab your images. The rice should absorb the excess water. Hope this helps.

**BRENT**

Oh yeah, congrat on your new place, Matt. Maybe it's time to upgrade your cellphone so you can tether @ your house, no? ;)

I managed to get the CF card out of the water fairly quickly so there weren't too much water/moisture. I wiped it off and dried it off using some rice, TP, and window fan. Since I'm impatient (and I've got spare card readers), after short while in a pile of rice, I stuck the card into the card reader and managed to get all the images out. Now it's back in a pile of rice though I doubt I'll be using it again since I'm paranoid it'll flake out in middle of taking pictures.

jvlgato, I've done the no electricity a few times when hurricanes have blown through. It's not fun, but it's not that bad, either, especially if you get a breeze through your place, once you just settle in with it.

Thanks, boomana! Good to know. My main concern is if it gets too hot with no A/C. Looks like tomorrow's high is 83 - better than last week when it was in the 90's!

I guess it could have been a lot worse. It turns out my area got almost 8 inches of rain that night. Here are some pics in my area - I guess I can live with some damp carpeting!

Chicago-area residents try to recover from flooding - chicagotribune.com

1-1706355-691609-295259.jpg

State of emergency declared in flooded Westchester - Chicago Breaking News

WestchesterFloodingSwaskoB.jpg

@jvlgato: a driver at my company pulled a similar move something like fifteen years ago. They still call him Sparky Bob.

Funny. A day after, and I have a bit more perspective. I guess these things happen ... two TRUE stories about my former office partner:

He told me once that he drove off from a gas station with the hose still in his tank. He was driving down the street when another driver pulled up gesturing wildly to pull over. He got really irritated until he saw in the mirror what he had done. He drove back to the station and apologized profusely, while handing over the broken off hose. The station owner said not to worry about it, it happens all the time.

Another time, he locked his last patient (yes, he's a fellow psychiatrist) in the office with no way out. Apparently, it was the last patient of the day, on a scheduled half day Saturday. She had gone to the bathroom, and he was in a rush to leave for a hair cut, so he wrapped up and left the office, locking all the doors (keyed from the inside only), set the alarm and left, while she was still in the bathroom. Our mail man was delivering mail when he saw a crazed and panicked woman gesturing in the window to help her get out. She set off the alarm motion detector, thus notifying the police of a break in. When they arrived, she screamed through the window that she didn't break in, she was a patient of the psychiatrist. The cop didn't believe her, but before bringing her to the station, she made him page my partner, who had settled into his scheduled hair cut. Annoyed, he finished his hair cut, answered his page, heard the story, couldn't believe it, but drove back to the office and finally confirmed the woman's story. I felt really bad for his poor patient, but I never laughed so hard in my life.

I can't complain much after seeing those flood pIcs but came home after a night at my in laws waiting for the a/c people to arrive to find my cable tv out and they won't be able to send someone out until tomorrow. At least I have some free time to compare Direct TV and Dish Network.

Went to Fort Myers for the meet, had a great time seeing old friends and making new ones.

BTW, those pictures of the Chicago flooding make me cringe. Feel awful for all the residents and their damaged possessions.