What did you do today?

riceboy

This yesterday ... jp and I were hosted at grawk manor for lunch and samplings from Dan's brewhouse. Beautiful place high on a hill overlooking rolling corn and soybean fields bordered by forest in Glen Rock, PA. First up was a grawk lemon witbeer - delicious. That followed by tastings of Alaskan Amber and a light, continuously hopped, ipa - also excellent. Lunch of fresh sweet corn and home made salsa with just the correct heat. Then Dan's youngest son kicked my ass in air hockey ("my mom's better that you") 5-1. I got a case of ipa and a six of amber to go to complete a transaction from last winter - that should slake my thirst for a while.

Great to see jp again, and thanks to Dan, Sussana (sp?), and 4 kids for a lovely visit. I look forward to seeing them at a hockey game on the return trip in Oct.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been hanging out in Three Forks MT since Friday night. Got a chance to party a bit with Todd on Friday night and took him out for a ride in the Atom. He's been on a quick camping trip with his son since Saturday morning, but I'm still parked along the street around the corner from his house.

Just read a book about the Unabomber last week, written as a first hand account by his closest neighbor and friend. So I decided to check out his old haunts yesterday near Lincoln, MT and Stemple Pass since the book is so fresh on my mind and offers many references to the local terrain. Parts of the drive were quite eery and strange. How could such a deranged lunatic have lived at peace with nature in such beautiful mountain valleys for 25 years without being detected? Beware, Ted. I know where you used to live. I can come and get you any time!

i bet that was fucking awesome.

You bet. Two days on and I'm still reeling. Bunch of heavy-hitting singers from places like the Welsh National Opera, and a 65 piece orchestra. Tiny stage in a converted barn and an audience of 480. 5th row from the front slap bang in the middle. I estimate that the Valkyries were generating well over 100dB at the beginning of Act 3. Seating was purloined from Covent Garden when they upgraded.

Staggering performance - can hardly wait for Siegfried.

Do a google for the soloists:

Jason Howard: Wotan

Alwyn Mellor: Br

I've attended two complete Ring cycles in Chicago - 1996 and 2005. They are the top musical memories of my life and I hope to attend additional cycles in the future.

You are one seriously lucky fella. Seriously envious! When Covent Garden did three complete cycles three years (Imagine Placido Domingo as Siegmund...) ago tickets sold out in an hour.

Well technically last week.....

Right off our balcony in Laguna Beach, very restful and relaxing.

img0647ip.jpg

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5821/img0670hx.jpg' alt='img0670hx.jpg'>

lots of dolphins and sea lions too.

Edited by Augsburger

Replaced my %#$@& mailbox after some redneck smashed it. Installed a new screen in mum's front door. This was the third try to get a replacement. Apparently the door company changed specs from 2009 to 2010, and the new screen size is 1 1/4" shorter. Even after explaining this (twice) they managed to send us the wrong size (twice). Third time was the charm. Now having done my "Home Improvement" for the day, it's time for a sip of Scotch, a quick nap and some TMI later.

Vacation day 2. Boated more today, and various people tried water skiing although my clever wife (who hasn't been on water skis for 30 years) was the only one to really succeed. More efforts tomorrow. After exhaustion set in, we had a late lunch then BBQ dinner with relatives and friends from around the lake at Peterson Park on Lake Michigan. Good stuff, followed by an evening tubing run in the evening and couldn't shake my son even once although he was airborne and crossed the wakes at wild angles a couple of times.

Here is Peterson Park:

1087448488047076548S600x600Q85.jpg

sendviewsouth.jpg

Now hoping that the loft room we are in cools down so I can sleep tonight sooner than last night....

Edited by Voltron