What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope my parents are ok. I was at work when the storm swept, it was just hard rain in the city. I ended up staying at my friend's place in Jersey City because the LIRR was suspended last night.

Do you know if the Port Washington line is still suspended? News reports seem to say that it is but it doesn't say that on the official website.

ConEd came today to my parents house yesterday ads today but didn't fix the power yet :(

dissertation got signed by my advisory committee :) not sure what to do or how to feel now. feel very happy but sad at the same time. happy because barring my own death or the death of everyone on my advisory committee i will have a phd at the end of the semester but sad because a long journey came to an end. romanticizing a math problem isnt something that a lot of people do but in more ways than one the little problem i had been working on for so long got me through a lot of crap, provided years of annoyance but every time i chipped away at it, it provided little shots of happiness and adrenaline edging me forward. it was a formidable enemy but a gentle friend all at the same time. fucked up my shoulder but all in all, a good but sad day.

got 5 recommendation letters from the advisory committee for law school at the same time. really really hope law school can offer the same intellectual stimulation that math offered.

I spent a couple hours inside an abandoned house down here that I'm thinking about buying. It's ca. 1870-1880. I took a bunch of photos and took a closer look at the construction and what it would probably need for a restoration.

It needs, well, pretty much everything. The roof has to be rebuilt, at the very least. The north wall is slightly bowed and I think the foundation in the northwest corner is a little hinky. The roof can be dealt with but the foundation freaks me out. But it's got a great brick exterior, the original trimwork is still up inside and it has a view of the valley and mountains. Not to mention a front room that's roughly 24' x 20' with 12' ceilings - dipole heaven.

I'll pester the realtor to find out who owns it and lean on a local building engineer for the straight story on the foundation. If it's not hideously expensive to restore, I'll pick it up.

Currently, I'm on the third bar of the night and have two or three more on the schedule.

I spent a couple hours inside an abandoned house down here that I'm thinking about buying. It's ca. 1870-1880. I took a bunch of photos and took a closer look at the construction and what it would probably need for a restoration.

Been there, done that, with a Georgian front (ca 1760)/Victorian extension (ca 1870) around 20 years ago. It was a helluva job, but worthwhile.

Fortunately we did not have a foundation problem. But the wall could be bowing for several reasons - it either may not be structurally well connected to the rest of the building, or the foundation might be poor. The first is relatively cheap, because the wall can be pinned back onto the rest of the structure. The foundation is much more of a biggy, and it depends on why it is sagging. If the ground is poor (boggy etc), there is not much you can do. but if it is just that the building was not properly founded it can be underpinned, but think major expense.

Here in the UK you see lots of old properties in which bowing walls have been corrected by bolting them back together. Basically a spreader plate on opposite walls, and a very long metal rod with threaded ends that passes through the space under the floorboards at first floor level. Repeat as necessary along the wall. Also used in the US - there is a thread about it here a bulging brick wall & star-shaped bolts! - Old House Forum - GardenWeb

I recently bought an used iRiver H120 which I proceeded to modify by installing an 80 Gb HD and a 2,300 mAh battery. I just loaded it up with a mixture of Apple Lossless and FLAC files, then activated the optical out and hooked it up to the new RWA Isabella for an "off the grid" listen. I am using a 3 foot optical cable from Sys. Concept Inc. (mini to toslink). Not bad at all, smooth and engaging and I will leave it at that. Next I would like to find an iRiver H140 to install a 120 Gb HD.

originally the plan was to go on a date this evening, but that has been postponed, so i decided to have a me day. i've been listening to music, reading magazines, smoking a pipe, lounging, and preparing food for a fairly decadent meal for one (pepper oil infused new york strip, salt water soaked baked potato, pan fried mushrooms with caramelized onions, and a home made boule with brie is on the menu). i had a busy, shitty work week, and this is what i needed. i don't think i'm that keen on the bird, anyway.

Sounds like a pretty good day to me

originally the plan was to go on a date this evening, but that has been postponed, so i decided to have a me day. i've been listening to music, reading magazines, smoking a pipe, lounging, and preparing food for a fairly decadent meal for one (pepper oil infused new york strip, salt water soaked baked potato, pan fried mushrooms with caramelized onions, and a home made boule with brie is on the menu). i had a busy, shitty work week, and this is what i needed. i don't think i'm that keen on the bird, anyway.

Was this that girl who was 'way out of your league?' Looks like she missed out on a pretty nice meal!