What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday was Postdoc Appreciation Day. So we had a science journalist come and give us a talk, as president of the postdoc society I gave a rousing speech, and we had free food and wine. Its nice to be loved - even if only for half a day :)

Today, I build flexi shelves!

IMG_0151.jpg

Some nice lady I'd met once before, who does prevention and student assistance work in high schools, my co-worker Yasmin, who does runs the alumni programs, and me.

Spent the whole afternoon at a horrid event in a building at the fairgrounds featuring lame tables from local facilities, about 500 folks that were mostly patients in local facilities, bad karaoke contest, lame chili contest, mediocre cupcake contest, clowns with balloons, etc. Sad and sadder. Also, whoever set this up from our facility forgot to mention the details that we were to either bring chili or cupcakes and were also to decorate our table for a fall theme table contest, and that it would be a total waste of time. Thank god we had candy at our table.

Congrats on the anniversary!

Ran 18 miles. I think I have about 108.2 miles before I can take a break for a few weeks. I can't rest for too long, I need to keep the fitness up for the Pikes Peak Marathon next year.

Blimey - the Pikes Peak! For those not in the know, this is like no other marathon on earth. Well over 6000 vertical feet (actually over 7700 feet of ascent), with 2000 feet in the last three miles, involving rock scrambling. Best time for the full marthon (ie up the Peak and back down) is around 3h30m. Which is about my best marathon time **on the flat**. Most times are way, way longer than that.

But the real ball breaker is that it starts at well over 6000 feet - so the Peak itself is at 14,000 feet - and oxygen starvation becomes a major issue. One of the planet's ultimate challenges.

So hats off Tyrion!

The record holder needn't worry about his record while I'm on the course. I'm slow, so my concern will be beating the cut off times and altitude sickness since my training will all be at sea level. Having said that I know a bunch of people down here that have done PP.

I probably should make sure I finish the Niagara Falls Marathon before talking about next year. :)

Thanks for the well wishes, all! We had a pretty nice, but not great dinner last night, but the place was half empty on a Saturday night. Not a good sign for a Chicago restaurant. I guess expensive, locally grown on the farm places aren't so popular, unless you win Top Chef on TV. I tried to get a table at Girl and the Goat, and there were no tables at a normal time for weeks!

Congrats in advance for your 19th, Al!

Congrats on dishes, Reks. One of my least favorite chores, and a constant battle.

Welcome home, Shelly! No sauerkraut for a while, huh?

Glad your event is over, Vicki! Unfortunately, it sounds even worse than you had anticipated. Good thing for candy, I hope candy doesn't make you feel sick!

Best on your training, tyrion! We went to Pike's Peak a few months ago. Stunning place! Saw a marmot and a fox, both very cute. But I got light headed and my daughter got a raging headache, and all we did was walk around and eat donuts!

Started off the day unsuccessfully trying to put Libby back to sleep after she woke up entirely too early. This was followed by going to her doctor since she's been rather stuffy for couple of days (turned out to be nothing major as we thought, but it was reassuring to hear that from her doctor).

Just finished making Japanese-style curry and now watching the truly awful Pats defense.

Nate, that's a pretty cool output, however you did that. I bet I could ride that distance around here and not change more than a few feet in elevation, and even that change would only signify that I'd hit an armadillo :)

It's with a free little app (for both i-stuff and android devices) called Run Keeper. I just did a screen cap of the output you can view on the web, which like you I find pretty cool.