What did you do today?

riceboy

^ I'm still waiting to hear back from several people who wanted me to come on Christmas Eve, but at this point it's fully booked. Some of them might want me to come on the 23rd or on Christmas Day or Boxing Day. I'm expecting the total number of visits this year to be around 40, give or take. I don't think I've ever done more than 10-12 scheduled visits before. So strange. The minute you start charging, people want to book you. If you're willing to give your time for free, they don't call.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"unpaid wandering around" made me laugh. :)

Ya, I didn't know how to put that exactly. Everything is so different this year. I used to just wander around all the time, and there is a certain satisfaction in that because you're constantly catching people off guard. Now that I'm being paid, I've become a little stingy with my wandering around time because more often than not I'm moving from one event to another and can't be bothered, or am just happy to have a short break.

But I've still done a fair bit of it. I've gone through 87 pounds of candy so far. Last year (or maybe 2 years ago) was a record of 171 pounds but I won't get anywhere near that. I go through the most when I'm just out wandering, especially in George Town in the touristy areas. It takes about a half hour to walk a block because you get stopped dozens of times for pictures.

Now I'm thinking, "Hey, I could hire a photographer with an instamatic and start charging $5 per picture." But then I slap myself, because that kind of thinking makes me sick! I guess the minute money enters into the equation, it becomes a slippery slope.

So I've charged the schools half price and I've done private parties for the kids of friends of mine for free, and I wander (into banks, grocery stores, gas stations, restaurants, etc) and visit with tourists for free. But those are no longer "events" in and of themselves. Now I just do that in between appearances when I'm feeling up to it.

Had my second full-time position interview today. Went very well, but both the interviewer and I agreed that my passion or interest in sales is, at the moment, to be determined. I'm just not sure the position is right for me. The company seems pretty great overall and extremely professional, especially considering the industry (residential home renovation), but I don't think that would be enough to drag myself into a role I'm really not looking for right now.

Hrm.

Tonight - dinner at some decent italian restaurant on Taylor in Chicago with Allison, my now-former roommate, his fiancee, and 2-3 other friends.

Edited by Aura

Had my second full-time position interview today. Went very well, but both the interviewer and I agreed that my passion or interest in sales is, at the moment, to be determined. I'm just not sure the position is right for me. The company seems pretty great overall and extremely professional, especially considering the industry (residential home renovation), but I don't think that would be enough to drag myself into a role I'm really not looking for right now.

Hrm.

Tonight - dinner at some decent italian restaurant on Taylor in Chicago with Allison, my now-former roommate, his fiancee, and 2-3 other friends.

Oh well. Sounds like a good experience, though!

Name of restaurant? There's some good ones in that area ...

Still going like crazy with the Santa stuff. Did 7 gigs the past two days, but have picked up 5 more in the meantime. Three days to go counting Christmas day and still 17 scheduled events in front of me (4 tomorrow, 10 now on Christmas Eve and just 3 on Christmas day not counting my usual visits to the children's ward at the hospital and the nursing home).

Working tonight to coordinate everything. Sending out tons of emails to confirm the details with all sorts of people. Responding to text messages and cell phone calls, and creating a "master plan" for Christmas Eve with all of the times, contact people, addresses, phone numbers, notes for special requests (where to pick up the toys on the way in, etc).

Even went out in my reindeer mascot costume for a while this evening (just for the heck of it) after returning from my last Santa appointment.

Won a couple of tickets to New York in a company Christmas party to use anytime in 2011!Probably staying for about 5 days in Manhattan and then going up to Boston and a small incursion to Niagara on the Lake to Visit a friend!

Sweet! Manhattan is an awesome city, so much to do.

You are the man! I am so impressed to see someone so giving of their time. Wow!

Thanks, man! I do have lots of time, so that's not an issue at all. It's become a part of my constitution. Some people are golfers, some like to spend their time and money on their boats, you know.

This is the first year I've ever charged anyone for anything. But (until this year) I've never spent a lot of money on the hobby so it wasn't an issue. Figured that on an average year I spent maybe $500-$1,000 between candy (lots of it), ongoing costuming costs, and other giveaway items (small toys and books). That's very easy to swallow given the joy it brings to so many kids!

But this year I went a little nuts and when I did the math suddenly realized that I had spent over $5k in the past 6 months and that the giveaway items alone amounted to over $1k. So I figured that it was time to start recouping some of those costs! Of the 41 scheduled visits, only 9 will have been freebies, but several more were discounted as well (schools and such). When it all shakes out, I'll be in the hole for about $1,500 this year but I can live with that. I spend more than that traveling to headphone meets each year!

Everything so far has just been word of mouth. I'm going to have some professional photos and videos done after Christmas and then order some business cards and perhaps do a bit of advertising and promotion next fall. My target will be 75-80 visits, or about double what I did this year.

I've actually made some cameo appearances at some of the major hotels and high end restaurants this past week when I've had a little time between appointments, and the reception has been incredible. So hopefully something will develop there. I have several return visits to make after Christmas (as me) to talk about possibilities for next year.

I just hope that success doesn't breed contempt. Sometimes it's actually better if you know that it's costing you money (and time) and thus your mind is focused on giving. Paying gigs are great to the extent that they support the hobby, so long as the money itself doesn't become the end goal. At that point, you might as well go sit in a mall for 6 weeks. No thanks!

Someting I ate on Tuesday made me quite ill. I spent all of yesterday in bed, except for the 20 minutes I managed to get up, and eat a rice cake. Today's achievements have been "sitting up" and "walking." Next challenge might be "going downstairs" and (shudder) "trying to eat."

Always look on the bright side of life - it could have happened over Christmas....

Seriously, hope you get over it soon. Food poisoning can be very very nasty. Must have been something badly off (fish? eggs? - or fish eggs?).