DC/Baltimore Meet - 8/2/08 (TV-MA DSL, Parents Strongly Cautioned)

NightWoundsTime

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm still having the meet, except I'm alone, so does that count? I'm in my room listening to the KGBH SE right now. I'm not sure what the deal was at the NorCal meet. This very much sounds like amp I remember at CanJam. I'm using Todd's old (now mine) APL Phillips as a source. The only music I have is the Mobile Fidelity SACD of Los Lobos This Time, so I've heard it now a few times in a row, and gotten some good comparison's in between the O2 MK1 and 2, and was surprised on how pronounced the difference is. The midbass of the MK2 is definitely more prominent, but I have to say I like both, with a slight preference going to the MK1 for my taste in sq. The MK2 is a far more comfortable headphone for my small head, though.

I'm still at the hotel in Gaithersburg. I had a great time at the meet seeing old friends and making new friends. Dan did a great job in organizing and everything ran smoothly. I'll be heading out this afternoon with Jeff taking me and Vicki to the airport. I'll post the pictures I took and more impressions tomorrow, after I've recovered from the flight.

I wasn't there, so not much I can say. Some gear showed up, some drinkin got done. Stevieo probably did something highly inappropriate, at some point. Good times were had by most.

I've only partied twice now with Steveio, but he was much calmer here in Maryland than he was in Florida. I didn't see him do anything inappropriate. Of course, I heard that Maryland is the last state in the union that will allow him to live in it, so he's probably on his best behavior here trying not to jinx the deal. ;)

Btw. Thanks for the comparison, nice to know I'm not completely nuts... :)

You still may be completely nuts, but I listened to them both last night and I definitely preferred the Mk I. I didn't listen to them long enough to be able to tell you why, but I liked its sound better. Both are wonderful headphones, of course.

I've been adjusting. It's comfy, but I have this trouble with most headphones. I have a pinhead :(

It might be time for some drastic measures such as a sharp angle on top instead of the gentle curve.

You still may be completely nuts, but I listened to them both last night and I definitely preferred the Mk I. I didn't listen to them long enough to be able to tell you why, but I liked its sound better. Both are wonderful headphones, of course.

Both are great headphones and my current incarnation of the Mk2 mods bring them a lot closer to each other but that's with Mk1 earpads in place. Not really an ideal solution... :(

...and ohh I'm definitely nuts... ;D

I didn't go to the meet, but I did go to the Brickskellar on Friday night to hang out. It was definitely cool to put some faces to names on the Internet, and it was very nice meeting Vicki, Dan, Peter, Mike, Aaron, and I'm trying to remember who else.

Hopefully when the next DC meet rolls around, I'll be able to actually attend the meet itself.

I've been home since 12pm. Jim got me to the airport early enough that I was able to get on an earlier flight. Jim thanks for the ride both from and to the airport!

Dan, thanks for a great time (especially the whiskey)! The meet was great as was the before and after meet festivities. stevieo was on his best behavior which was nice as I didn't feel the need to threaten his life once during the entire weekend.

It was great seeing the usual suspects as well as meeting new people this trip. I listened to a bunch of gear and for me the highlights were the BHSE/O2 and Juans modded Earmax. I only spent a short time with the BHSE at CanJam. This time I made sure I really got an opportunity to hear what this amp could do and I have to say, I was not disappointed. I was not a fan of the 02 until now. I don't think they have ever sounded so good to me. Justin really has a winner on his hands. If I were in the market for an amp at the price of the BHSE, that would be in my top 3 for sure.

Juan, had a modded Earmax that just sounds beautiful. I have no idea what mods were done. The amp has been recased and preamp outs have been added. I used Dan's HHF-1 and a pair of wood Audio Technica (not sure which). The amp was paired with a Burmester cdp and the combination was great.

I had a chance to hear the Headroom Stereo Amp and I'm hoping that one day, I will have one of them in my office speaker rig.

Those were my listening highlights. I tried the UE10 and 11. The fit didn't work well for me. I a tough time getting them in my ear, even with the small tips and foamies. I was able to get a good seal if I pushed them in my ear and held them there. I am sure they would have been more enjoyable if I had better fit but from what I did hear I don't think would cause me to give up my FreQs, especially when the price is factored in.

I had a wonderful time. This was the first meet in a long time that I sat and truly listened to equipment 80% of the meet.

Dan did his best to make everyone happy and is a fantastic meet organizer. He would do well hosting a National.

Stevieo was on his best behavior because I had his left testicle in my pocket (his wife snipped it one night during one of his stupors and perserved it in a snow globe that has to be shaken once in a while) and he knew he couldn't get it back if any innocent bathtubs were involved.

Even Tyrion was quite mellow. There must have something going on in the air.

The Burmester/modded EarMax was a class act.

Hirsch's ES-1/2 fed by the Exemplar Denon 2900 with his HE-90's was musical bliss.

Justin's Blue Hawaii prototype was great, as usual.

Thanks Dan. Great job.

I had a wonderful time. This was the first meet in a long time that I sat and truly listened to equipment 80% of the meet.

Dan did his best to make everyone happy and is a fantastic meet organizer. He would do well hosting a National.

Steveio was on his best behavior because I had his left testicle in my pocket (his wife snipped it one night during one of his stupors and perserved it in a snow globe that has to be shaken once in a while) and he knew he couldn't get it back if any innocent bathtubs were involved.

Even Tyrion was quite mellow. There must have something going on, in the air.

Thanks Dan. Great job.

HE90 hog :)

Or anti-social.

It was nice to meet most of you and see some of you again ;)

Stevieo was on his best behavior because I had his left testicle in my pocket (his wife snipped it one night during one of his stupors and perserved it in a snow globe that has to be shaken once in a while) and he knew he couldn't get it back if any innocent bathtubs were involved.

Even Tyrion was quite mellow. There must have something going on in the air.

The Burmester/modded EarMax was a class act.

Hirsch's ES-1/2 fed by the Exemplar Denon 2900 with his HE-90's was musical bliss.

Justin's Blue Hawaii prototype was great, as usual.

Thanks Dan. Great job.

A bunch of listening, and everyone on good behavior? Where's the fun in that? :D

There was lots of fun had, and a good mix of social and listening during the meet itself. The location of the power outlets made for a nice little niche where people could go and talk, and Dogfish Head and the Brickskeller were fun excursions.

It was nice to meet most of you and see some of you again ;)

Like Peter said, I didn't know that you were there, also. :o

It was nice to almost meet you, too.

I know name tags are so "Trade-Show" like, but it's a damn good way to permantly forge a name to a face (provided that it's not a horrible imprint :eek:).