The new Grado lineup

John E Woven

Pics of all the new models are on the grado labs website minus the PS1000. The RS1i looks like the buttonless version RS1s, nothing really different that i can tell.

Yes, hat full of ass, I see the picture too.

2rw9fn4.jpg

What you must understand is that a carefully arranged studio shot like that tells next to nothing about the build quality of the new RS1is. People in the know (not me) on this site and elsewhere have expressed some concern about the construction of the new Grado line, particularly the RS1(i)s.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you must understand is that a carefully arranged studio shot like that tells next to nothing about the build quality of the new RS1is. People in the know (not me) on this site and elsewhere have expressed some concern about the construction of the new Grado line, particularly the RS1(i)s.

That is true. What concerns are there with the new line?

Sweet,

I kinda like the looks except for the plastic block/rod mounting. I'd expect a better setup than the SR-60. Especially with the extra cup weight. I had trouble keeping my MS-1 from readjusting itself every time I looked at them.

A more positive hold/adjustment system would be good but then these aren't designed for the likes of me :)

I'm not going to worry about it -- you know there's going to be a whole contingent of people who are going to say, "nah, the new PS1000's aren't anywhere near as good as the Old School PS-1's...remember the buttons?!?!?" for no other reason than because of the typical old model/new model mentality. If it really is better, I'll be able to sell my current PS-1 for old-school RS-1 markup money. And if it isn't, I'll just keep it.

Besides, remember the whole GS1000 prototype/production model controversy? Can you imagine if he made that mistake again?

Not sure why, but I always had the feeling that John up to something, especially with that GS1k prototype thing.

Just wonder, if PS1000 are so smooth in the beginning, how will they sound, say, after 200-300 hours, cos I do not need overal LUSH sound, to tell you the true. If this is not the case, than the whole talk about GS1k prototype only proves that John kept them for later upgrade, which is PS1000.

Is there any talk about how limited they will be? I hope they would produce them just as other models with no limitations.

Another thing, how about transparency?

I did own PS1 several times and tried them vs GS1000 for extended time, but every time I choose GS1k above. Yes PS1 are very good phones, but for the money they are sells these days, they are not, imo.

They look quite cool...

I think that the new designs actually have improvements, not cost cutting. The square rods, for example, broke far more often than the round ones do. The cables I think are upgraded, and other such things. The whole silver 325i thing awhile back was new stock trickling in without notice because dealers get stuck with the "old" models when new ones are announced. It is a very decent policy followed by Grado.

Anyway, I am curious as hell to hear the PS1000 especially with flats -- and will check out Zanths's page shortly -- but it is not going to knock the PS-1 off the top of the heap and shouldn't do anything to the value of those truly limited edition cans.