Ye Macce Threade

apple does some sick stuff with syncing.  this is from someone who never takes the time to learn the tricks.

i practically shit a turkey dinner the first time I unwittingly stumbled onto my iphone's ability to pull up all the Chrome tabs I had open on my macbook pro.

Edited by aardvark baguette

apple does some sick stuff with syncing.  this is from someone who never takes the time to learn the tricks.

i practically shit a turkey dinner the first time I unwittingly stumbled onto my iphone's ability to pull up all the Chrome tabs I had open on my macbook pro.

Do you use Chrome on your phone? Chrome on Android does this as well. If it works with mobile safari, it's news to me. Good news, but news.

**BRENT**

I am astounded by Apple's syncing that continues to have the problem of duplicating entries in Calendar.  Either I'm a moron (quite possible) or Apple still doesn't get it.  I think both of those possibilities are true, actually. 

Related to the above, Apple also needs to include a checkbox in any new appointment that will allow you the option to override or delete any conflicting appointment.  I'd call it "DOMINATE."

i've been using all the services for years, and i think iCloud is the best, so far.  that's not saying much, though.  i just use it for eMail, document syncing, bookmark syncing, and browser tab syncing, and it's great for those.

Same here, though in my case, I use it for contacts, calendar, bookmark, and browser tab syncing, and I've really had no issues with those under iCloud.  Now, when it moved to MobileMe, that was rather painful.

To be fair, I have a @mac.com account that still exit out in the ether that I can no longer access with any consistency - it's a good thing that it wasn't associated with my iTunes account.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

yup

as a rule, i hate everything but chrome

OK.  It's not Apple doing this wizardry, but Google.  I downloaded Chrome on my iPad, but usually just used Safari.

I noticed it when I got the Note II, and was rather impressed, especially as I keep 40-90 tabs open at any given time... being able to grab something while on the go from that pool is nice.

**BRENT**

So anyone else use Parallels? I gave the trial version a shot yesterday and it's nice, but not perfect.

I found it messed with some of the drivers such that booting into Windows via Bootcamp didn't work as well as it did before having Parallels installed. Given the amount of time I'll be using this computer in a Windows environment I think I'm going to ditch Parallels and just stick with doing reboots in and out of Bootcamp.

Edited by TMoney

The rMBP work just got me replaced a dying 6-year old iMac so I just had a pretty similar upgrade. The speed improvements are really really nice and I think you'll be really happy with the 27". That being said, the new iMac screen is IMO the big upgrade you'll notice over the 6 and 7 year old models we were using. It's night and day difference vs what we had before. Enjoy!

I don't know if you are a fan of touch-pads, Monkey, but if you are the touch gestures in OSX are quite handy. I'd recommend the wireless touchpad for your iMac for the touch gestures alone. The ability to quickly jump from window to window using mission control (or whatever they call it these days) on its own is worth the price of admission.

So anyone else use Parallels? I gave the trial version a shot yesterday and it's nice, but not perfect.

I found it messed with some of the drivers such that booting into Windows via Bootcamp didn't work as well as it did before having Parallels installed. Given the amount of time I'll be using this computer in a Windows environment I think I'm going to ditch Parallels and just stick with doing reboots in and out of Bootcamp.

I run Windows 7 Ultimate under VMWare Fusion with no problems on a Macbook Pro Retina. I haven't used Parallels in a long time.

My dad in his unbelievable generosity, paid for a new 27" iMac because my 7 year old iMac is just not cutting it anymore.  Should arrive on Wednesday.  I'm looking forward to the big screen.

Awesome, Dinny.  I think the next time I upgrade/replace my Mac, I'm going that route or building a desktop Hackintop with large monitor.

The rMBP work just got me replaced a dying 6-year old iMac so I just had a pretty similar upgrade. The speed improvements are really really nice and I think you'll be really happy with the 27". That being said, the new iMac screen is IMO the big upgrade you'll notice over the 6 and 7 year old models we were using. It's night and day difference vs what we had before. Enjoy!

I don't know if you are a fan of touch-pads, Monkey, but if you are the touch gestures in OSX are quite handy. I'd recommend the wireless touchpad for your iMac for the touch gestures alone. The ability to quickly jump from window to window using mission control (or whatever they call it these days) on its own is worth the price of admission.

Word.  I almost got the rMBP,  but was convinced I would break it. 

I run Windows 7 Ultimate under VMWare Fusion with no problems on a Macbook Pro Retina. I haven't used Parallels in a long time.

+1 for VMWare Fusion. I've been using it since version 3. My only dislike is that upgrades are not free (sometimes they don't even offer upgrade pricing) but I don't think that Parallels is any different. I run Windows XP on it with no problems.

For me the big draw is that I can make VM's that can be run on Windows, Mac, or Linux (Parallels can probably do this too but it's quite easy in VMware Fusion). Very handy for when I teach courses in data processing and can just hand students a USB key with everything they need pre-installed on a Linux VM.

I use parallels on my work machine mostly without issues. I sometimes have to reboot because it won't print from a program running in the virtualized xp machine. After I reboot it is fine again. But then I had to do that in native xp as well, on Windows xp machines.