What are you reading now?

grawk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just recently finished the collected works of Jorge Borges and am so blown away by his work that I can't summon the words to describe how much I enjoyed the stories contained in that volume. Anybody that has a love for high fiction would do themselves a great service to pick up Borges fictions.

I just recently finished the collected works of Jorge Borges and am so blown away by his work that I can't summon the words to describe how much I enjoyed the stories contained in that volume. Anybody that has a love for high fiction would do themselves a great service to pick up Borges fictions.

X a million

• 1 month later...
when-you-are-engulfed-in-flames.jpg

That's what I'm also reading from my new Kindle. I'm a huge David Sedaris fan, and buy Holidays on Ice for most everyone at Christmas. I've having a little trouble getting into this one as much as his other books, but that could just be my mood, too.

nice, glad to see that there a borges fans on this forum. I can't believe that I hadn't heard of him until a month ago.

Also a fan, though I haven't read anything by him in years. Might be time to revisit.

400000000000000160952_s4.jpg

China Mieville - The City & The City

Just finished this one. In terms of world building, I found it pretty exhilarating. Its hard to describe, but basically it describes a modern place in which two "different" cities exist. The thing is the occupy the same physical space, but citizens in one city aren't allowed to see, hear, or otherwise sense anyone or anything in the other city (they unsee, unhear, unsense, etc). Basically the book is a pretty good murder mystery that takes place in this setting, so you can begin to imagine the conflicts that could occur during an investigation. The characters were sometimes a bit archetypical (maybe intentional on Mieville's part, since the intention was to write a true genre novel?), and the story itself only good, but the setting was so awesome that it kept me fascinated and turning pages.

Good story, great setting. Mieville is amazing.

now reading:

400000000000000031577_s4.jpg

China Mieville - The Iron Council

Had this on my shelf for years, finally pulling it down and reading it. Its nice to be back in New Crobozun. Maybe. Actually its a little bit uncomfortable. PSS was a weird book. Really cool though.