What are you reading now?

grawk

• 1 month later...

Sergey Lukyanenko, The Last Watch aka The Final Watch -- Jesus Christ this guy is good. On top of the whole fantasy storyline, there's also the mystery, and I love how he presents the "detective" going through his thoughts, and getting stuck on a particular analysis, and it clouding his judgment towards seeing the real thing. (It's a sequel to the Night Watch/Day Watch/Twilight Watch trilogy.)

You might want to check out Samuel Beckett's trilogy Moloy, Malone Dies and The Unnamable. It deals with similar subject matter but instead of using metaphor he uses artifice in a more modernist and purer form.

Thanks! I've put a hold on them at the local library. I will, however, likely read some sort of graphic novel series about ponies in between this and that, as I caught myself looking at a box of recycling paper yesterday and wondering if I should save it to burn for warmth.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sharp Teeth from Toby Barlow

Starred Review. Barlow's gut-wrenching, sexy debut, a horror thriller in verse, follows three packs of feral dogs in East L.A. These creatures are in fact werewolves, men and women who can change into canine form at will (Dog or wolf? More like one than the other/ but neither exactly). Lark, the top dog in one of the packs who's a lawyer in human form, has a master plan that may involve taking over the city from the regular humans. Anthony Silvo, a dogcatcher and normally a loner, finds himself falling in love with a beautiful and mysterious woman (Standing on four legs in her fur,/ she is her own brand of beast). A strange small man and his giant partner play tournament bridge and are deep into the drug trade. A detective, Peabody, investigates several puzzling dog-related murders. The irregular verse form with its narrative economies proves an excellent vehicle to support all these disparate threads and then tie them together in the bittersweet conclusion. 5-city author tour. (Jan.)

Copyright

51RBMD235NL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Sorry if this has already been posted. Great book about how we hear and experience music, and how and why it affects us. The author is a former musician and recording engineer who went back to school to get his PhD in Psychology, and now runs a lab at McGill on Musical Perception, Cognition and Expertise. A fascinating read for any audiophile!