Holy Crap! The New Stax Omega Looks fierce! (Stax SR-009)

Jon L

I think the SR-009 is the best headphone I've ever heard. It's about the only headphone that has good treble response, but no apparent area of exageration. Smoove as a baby's butt. The lowest notes aren't quite up to Audez'e extention and punch, but boy these do very very well for an estat.

Currently have this gear on my kitchen table:

HeadAmp Blue Hawaii ($1248.75); Apex Audio Pinnacle ($10,000); Wadia 861SE CD Player ($9,950); Stax Sr-009 ($5200); Stax SR-007, Mk1 late version ($2600 for current MK2); Sennheiser HD 800 ($1499); Audez'e LCD-2 late Rev 1 ($995); HiFiMAN HE-6 ($1199); HiFiMAN HE-500 ($899).

That's $32,000+!!!

Comparitive review of some of the world's best headphones (you tell me if there are any missing) within the next 12 hours.

Miles to go before I sleep.

That's correct. I didn't spring the additional grand for the Alps RK50. ($4995 for the BHSE).

Also, a bit off-topic: not what most audiophiles would listen to, but I didn't develop the full respect I have now for electrostatics until I heard metal (and related sub-genres) through the OII's. It's all about speed.

Edited by screaming oranges

Comparitive review of some of the world's best headphones (you tell me if there are any missing) within the next 12 hours.

Miles to go before I sleep.

Err well yes actually....... if you are not talking about those in current production, the Sony MDR-R10, Lambda Nova Signature and Stax Sigma of coursewink.png

Edited by complin

Awesome job on the review Tyll!

I remember getting back from seeing a jazz quartet at the Village Vanguard a few weeks ago and throwing on the 009s to listen to one of the quartets older albums. Seriously... after listening to a 90 minute live set it was hard to tell the difference between the live set and the 009s playing the album. On Jazz they just seemed that good. The detail and tonality the 009s can present make them very hard to distinguish from the real deal.

I didn't want to post about it at the time because it sounded way too corny and because I'm generally skeptical of my own impressions, but after reading your review it's nice to know that I'm not totally crazy. They really are Jazz monsters.

Edited by TMoney