And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Sorry to hear the numbers are looking like that Shelly.....

Good stories on kitty survival, hope for the best for yours Dusty.

We had a cat (Rambo Bose Kitty on Head-Fi, real name SOTA) who peaked at > 31lbs. We always thought he'd have diabetes and/or kidney issues, but he actually passed away from Melanoma, apparently VERY rare in cats. We even offered to donate his body to science, but the disease was so rare nobody wanted it to study......

Thanks for the (largely emotional) support. That is pretty much in line with what the doctor told me -- that she can survive for years (has in fact, probably, already survived for years) with beginning of kidney failure, it's largely where my morbid mind goes when it has to think about it on a daily basis that gets to me. I have been "pretty good" about not letting her run out of water for more than 12 hours, now I need to be extra special good.

Car, on the other hand, was fixed today -- no more overheating. The air conditioner still kicks out (stops cooling) at stoplights and in stop-and-go traffic -- a friend of mine has the theory that it's because the idle is too low -- any other theories? I'm going to take it to the shop tomorrow. Think I need to take some time off.

I have been "pretty good" about not letting her run out of water for more than 12 hours, now I need to be extra special good.

Be very careful with that. When a cat is in kidney failure, the kidneys in essence take water away from the other organs. Water shortage can lead to other problems, not the least of which are constipation and impacted bowels (which will require a very unhappy and potentially dangerous trip to the vet) as well as dental issues. Multiple water bowls that are cleaned and filled every day is a good practice.

Dusty -

This thing:

41yHxHdD8YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co...ds=cat fountain

is great. Water is always available and our cats love it. The water is nice and charcoal filtered.

The downside is that it makes it really hard to track consumption. If you only have one cat and can experimentally determine evaporation loss, you could easily make an index on the water tank and you would actually have a nice gauge. Two cats and consumption is totally mystery.

Edited by CarlSeibert

After thinking about our options, we went with the going for broke plan. They started things up a bit yesterday but the big work started today. We now have big trenches in our backyard and caution tape up. They are going to work tomorrow (probably not Sunday but didn't ask) and it is supposed to be a "3 day job" so hopefully it will be done on Monday.

Luckily, the air conditioning guy came by today and we just had a bad start capacitor which was relatively cheap to replace (and luckily they had the part in stock). Now we have nonstop airconditioned fun. smile.png

We also no longer had the small drip in our wall that started the other day when the plumbers started messing around with the hot water heater which broke the old pressure/temperature valve. At that point, we found out that the stupid people who lived here before us had the temperature/pressure drain going into the wall instead of having the pipe go all the way to the ground. facepalm.png

And no *new* problems!!! smile.png

Matt: I know you guys in FL are terrified of gas but there is no way I am using an electric stove. wink.png

Edited by shellylh

I seem to recall someone telling me that water vapor can condense in gas pipes. True?

If I run into one of the guys doing the gas lines next time I'm on new construction (who knows when), I'll probably ask about this whole situation for my own curiosity. But I do know gas pipes in homes have very, very low PSI, as in barely pressurized at all. So to address Antonio's concerns, a very small leak somewhere wouldn't be some spectacular event unless it was in some sealed environment and left to build for a long time. I'll even admit, with much shame, that I once actually cut completely through an ancient 1/2" or so buried gas line to a (defunct) grille by accident, and you wouldn't even know there was gas escaping from the pipe unless you got very close to the pipe to hear/smell it. And that's with a major leak.

Generally speaking, you would never acquire enough condensation in a gas line to be problematic. If you're having moisture issues with a gas line it's almost always ground water entering the pipes.

Shelly I think the "go for broke" plan is best. The newer lines are going to have a lot longer longevity, and you'd need to replace all the old eventually in any case.

It's also a good idea to draw a little map of the new lines for any future digging. Even though you always want to call for locates before digging (to save your own ass), I can't tell you how often the gas company, water company, cable company, etc... get's it wrong on their locates.

Luckily only the output stage seems dead. Some desoldering braid and two dozen BJT's should do the trick. Maybe I'll swap out the bypass electrolytics as well.

What's worse I actually heard how the amp sounded. Hence the rush that lead to this.

Woke up to the dreaded beeping noise of my external HDD. It can still be recognized, but probably not for long. spent two hours looking for replacement and became very disappointed. It seems like there is NO reliable HDDs these days. settled on the WD 3T My Book Essential. went down stairs, got on the ESP950 that arrived yestereday, and forgot about the crappy HDD shit.

Car got completely fixed this morning! So yesterday, while I was there, I went over to the parts department and asked about the thermostat and radiator pump for my car. No good. Well, I wasn't sure it was either of these, so explained my situation to the service counter guy: that I suspect this was going to be a two stage repair -- once to diagnose it, order the parts, wait for the part to come in, then the other to actually replace the parts. Knowing that he won't be able to fix it, can I schedule him to at least look at it and see if he can diagnose it (I know they have special skills as they are trained, licensed professionals). They did -- good deal. Got up at freaking crack o'dawn to be there at 8, was there at 8. They fixed it -- not just diagnosed it, but fixed it. They could have called in the thermostat and pump and then fixed it, but instead, went straight to the fix. On top of that, it was a recall (radiator fan), so it was free. Win! I'm definitely going to continue using these guys, and they're almost walking distance to my apartment (1.8 miles, but it's along route 1, and I'm not that ready and/or willing to breath car fumes for that long, but could if I was desperate).

Generally speaking, you would never acquire enough condensation in a gas line to be problematic. If you're having moisture issues with a gas line it's almost always ground water entering the pipes.

Shelly I think the "go for broke" plan is best. The newer lines are going to have a lot longer longevity, and you'd need to replace all the old eventually in any case.

It's also a good idea to draw a little map of the new lines for any future digging. Even though you always want to call for locates before digging (to save your own ass), I can't tell you how often the gas company, water company, cable company, etc... get's it wrong on their locates.

This makes me feel better about our decision. Also, thanks for the suggestions about mapping the lines! That is a great idea.