And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Installed a new 500gb SSD in the computer. Transferred my Steam library to it, which was totally painless.

My main SSD is only 160gb, which after the space windows 7 was taking up didn't leave much room for games. Which was fine since I've pretty much just played Skyrim since 2011 (in the tiny time I actually have to play games), but its time to branch out.

I was going to build a new PC, since mine is 2 years old, but it turns out its still pretty kick ass.

• Like 1

Had a guy in to repair one of our new recliners tonight. This has been an ongoing saga since we bought new livingroom furniture back in early 2014. I won't go through all of the details but it's been a big pain in the ass since we received the furniture. The culprits were Laz-E-Boy recliners (and the store we bought from, Art Van - part of that long story). We bought them because of their reputation but Jesus, these were bad. Tonight's repair was due to a collapsed arm on one of the chairs, The padding and support just collapsed. They sent a guy last Tuesday to look at it. He opened up the bottom of the arm, pushed up the support and sealed it back up. 30 minutes after he left it collapsed again.

Tonight they sent a competent technician. He removed all of the upholstery on that arm, removed all the padding, rebuilt and fastened the support, replaced the padding and fabric and basically rebuilt the right side of the chair. It took him about 90 minutes and he let us know what he was doing and why through the whole process.

#1 - it's good to see people who love their work and do it well. #2 - why is this shit so common in bigger ticket items these days? Our previous sofa and love seat self destructed in 4 years. They were not cheap, and we are not hard on furniture. Regardless, we think we are good now. We'll see as time goes by.

Damn, can't catch a break on those chairs, Mike! Sorry to hear about the troubles, but at least you had a good experience with that second technician. I had no idea they could rebuild in-home... just figured with the fabric and whatnot it would require shipping back to factory. That's awesome.

La-Z-Boy has a (normally) decent in-home repair service, we've had a couple visits when we had a sleep sofa delivered and the delivery guys screwed some things up with the fabric.

The techs who visited were good, and one made a valiant attempt at repair but had to have them ship a new one.  The second one had to do some minor fabric work, and did it well.

What REALLY surprises me is the fact that you had such structural problems Mike.  They are a pricey company, but one usually gets what one pays for with them.

Continuing with the furniture saga, just took delivery of our daughter's new bed and dressers.  Well, one of the drawer runners on a dresser just ripped off the side wall.  They're supposedly sending in a service tech in the next 3 hours to take a look at it, but we'll be insisting on replacement.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Continuing with the furniture saga ...

We just got some new chairs, and they seem to have wrapped the arms in foam for shipping prior to the finish being, well, finished, so there is no finish on them. Shipping back seems like more work than refinishing them myself, but I am not happy. And they don't seem to be answering their phone.

We're getting a replacement sent in as well.  Keeping with the theme of things not going according to plan, broken/damaged things - 

1. Came home to find two of my backup hard drives inaccessible and making that lovely clicking noise.  Yep, they're both dead.
  2. Received new sheets/bedding for our daughter's new bed - except the store sent us a wrong one.
  3. The CS for the above store tells us that we can exchange it at the local store since they have it in store - we drive there to find out the particular brand isn't even carried in stores.
  4. Then spent over 20 minutes talking to the CS yet again just get the one we actually ordered sent again.
  5. The lever/handle to open the trunk/hatch on my car is now stuck, meaning I can't open it at all.

No, that's cool, I just figured if it was here, he'd do it himself, but seems like you're getting so good at it that he wants you doing it even here.  Win&profit!

Also:  didn't realize Capital Audio Fest was this weekend.  Or that anything was this weekend -- out of touch with the local scene...alas...

Replaced the broken shifter push knob on our car.  I am always reluctant to fix car problems myself but this was an easy one*.  Cost = $12.31!  :)

*Except, like usual, I did break a tiny plastic piece disassembling it but it doesn't seem to affect anything.  

We had to pick up the part at the dealer and while there we checked out (but didn't test drive) the new Accord 4dr and coupe.  They are pretty nice looking, certainly a lot nicer than ours (from 2004).  It seems really hard to get in the back seat of the coupe so we probably won't end up getting one (although I probably would if it were up to me since we don't have a kid).  

We also sat in (but did not test drive) the Ford Fusion at the dealer down the road.  I liked the feel of the Accord better - the console is up really high in the Fusion.  We'll probably do some test drives next weekend, Tim didn't feel like doing it today.  

Edited by shellylh

got up at 7, had a bagel and some monster drinks. 

Went on a quick bike ride with some friends

Came back, had some chicken, mac n cheese, grilled corn, and weyerbacher.

Drove through less annoying traffic than the way down on my way home.

Now I'm cooking and drinking and waiting for the family to get home

• Like 2