And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

It is a little after the fact but on Thursday last went to see The Enfield Haunting, a play in London with Catherine Tate and David Threlfall. Dramatization of a true story about a poltergeist in a semi detached house in Enfield (a suburb of London) in 1977 and 1978.

Major media coverage at the time (newspapers and the BBC) and a ghost hunter (played by Threlfall) permanently in the house.

Turned out to be the two daughters having a laugh that got out of hand.

The fiction in the play was that this daughter nonsense raised a real poltergeist that was causing true mayhem.

image.png

• Like 5

So much fun playing games last night! Maki and Walter roughhoused for 4 1/2 hours straight. At one point the very large Walter pounced on Maki, literally covering her completely. I couldn't see her at all for several seconds, until finally she squirmed out under Walter's tail, literally looking like a birthing. She then jumped on Walter's back, ran across his body like a furry bridge, grabbed a mouthful of Walter's face and started tugging! Tail wagging wildly the whole time. All three of us laughing uncontrollably. 

Those two have met before, but just for brief periods of time. I think they're beasties after last night. This little girl really has no idea that she's a 12 pound Chihuahua mix. She must see herself as a Rottweiler. I really need to get her DNA'd to see what she's working with. Longer body and the Black coloring with White accents. Much larger than a full breed Chihuahua. Maybe some Border Collie or even Dalmatian?

12 pounds of "come at me bitch", whatever she is!

• Like 4

I glued in over 500 Ipe plugs into the outside Ipe staircase and fence, that are all held with countersunk screws.

It's monotonous work, but it's easy enough. I just zone out to music.

I'll try to remember to take pics tomorrow.  With all that Ipe, it really is nice.

Edited by swt61
  • Like 5

I'm estimating about 1,500 Ipe plugs installed so far, with more to come. The fence is no quite finished. I need to build a trash can barn and a few gates. All from Ipe.

20240130_121951.jpg

20240130_121954.jpg

20240130_121957.jpg

20240130_122001.jpg

20240130_122014.jpg

20240130_122029.jpg

20240130_122041.jpg

Even the roof over the main door is covered with Ipe.

20240130_122814.jpg

• Like 8

Early Valentine's evening out at the theater. Local production of Will Arbery's Heroes of the Fourth Turning. I had low expectations and was very wrong. 

heroes-smoke-plain.jpg

"On the edge of the Wyoming wilderness, the last guests linger late into the night at a celebration for the new President of their conservative Catholic college. Reunited after seven years, the friends toss back whiskey and name-check Thomas Aquinas, Hannah Arendt, Steve Bannon, even Bojack Horseman, tracking their distance from each other and the people they thought they’d be by now. Will Arbery’s portrait of white conservatives trying to make sense of where they, and their country, stand is an incisive yet personal look at the intelligence and despair of the Catholic right."

• Like 6

Yesterday actually, but I finally finished up the project on Diamond Heights (one of the best views in SF).

Thousands and thousands of dollars in Ipe. Over 1000 Ipe plugs to cover the screws. The shed is for the garbage/recycle bins.

20240214_112153.jpg

20240214_075928.jpg

20240214_075916.jpg

20240214_075908.jpg

20240214_075905.jpg

20240214_075859.jpg

20240214_075856.jpg

20240130_122814.jpg

20240130_122001.jpg

Two gates about 12' apart. One into the back yard (I use the word yard for lack of a better word). The other keeps passers by from getting at the A/C compressor, located in an open inset that you can't see.

The two headers above the gates are to stiffen the fence. The Ipe was so heavy, it made the gates sag. My solution was the header beams.

• Like 9

I did some big boy wood working today.  (Please Tice, stop snickering.)  My (sainted, octogenarian) bought a "computer desk" at the end of the 20th century.  It's made of solid wood, so it's still in one piece.  Unfortunately, it had some really crap plastic-on-plastic casters that just disintegrated.  Today I cleared it off of all computer hardware, flipped it over and gave it new feet:

r8CGqvp.jpeg

Y5kuvXg.jpeg

The new casters have a different screw pattern than the old one, but I re-used one screw hole from each so I didn't have to attempt any fancy alignment.  I exited the proceedings with no more loose screws than I started with. 

Spoiler

The desk is made in Slovenia, just like Melania.  It has a much warmer and engaging personality, however.

• Like 7