And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

^ Yeah, there's a lot of yelling where I work. Both a perk and a pain. The raise, however, is very nice.

Re bike gear, I'm done until my name comes up in the queue for the Kirk, except to put pedals and a new seat on the Calfee.

I'm almost inclined to buy something because I screwed up with my vacation time this year. At your anniversary date, we have a policy that you have to have used your vacation and sick time or sell back the hours (nice option). I desperately need a vacation, but cancelled the one I had planned when I injured my leg, because I needed the vacation to get things done. I thought I had more time as I was confused on my actual anniversary date (I've had a few hire dates due to quitting, getting fired, etc.,long stories). Apparently, my anniversary was this week, not next month as I thought, and I have to sell about 200 hours of sick/vacation. I'm fried with no break coming soon. I should be able to console myself with a new toy or two, right?

• Like 1

My ex used to work for a company that had a similar variant to the use-or-lose vacation plan -- namely, because they were a cafeteria style plan, they would automatically convert the vacation you'd lose to cash.  She was smart enough to realize that they charge you for the time at your pre-raise rate, but pay you back at the end of the year at your post-raise rate, so she always bought (under the cafeteria plan) the max vacation allowable -- it was like automatically getting raise% return on your investment.

Is that the case with you, Vicki?

^ Yeah, there's a lot of yelling where I work. Both a perk and a pain. The raise, however, is very nice.

Re bike gear, I'm done until my name comes up in the queue for the Kirk, except to put pedals and a new seat on the Calfee.

I'm almost inclined to buy something because I screwed up with my vacation time this year. At your anniversary date, we have a policy that you have to have used your vacation and sick time or sell back the hours (nice option). I desperately need a vacation, but cancelled the one I had planned when I injured my leg, because I needed the vacation to get things done. I thought I had more time as I was confused on my actual anniversary date (I've had a few hire dates due to quitting, getting fired, etc.,long stories). Apparently, my anniversary was this week, not next month as I thought, and I have to sell about 200 hours of sick/vacation. I'm fried with no break coming soon. I should be able to console myself with a new toy or two, right?

They should allow you to extend the deadline due to the "work related injury".  It's not your fault you're laid up with a bad leg.

Wait, you bought a Calfee? How did I miss this!  I need to spend more time on the "What did you buy" thread.  Congrats on the Calfee, I love mine more and more every time I ride.

I don't think I posted it there. I went on for pages about it in the bike thread. Maybe you should spend more time there, Mr. Calfee owner. Did you see Chris got a gorgeous Dragonfly?

Mine is a mint condition 2001 Tetra Pro in emerald green with 9-speed DA. I got it off Craig's list for $1040. The OCD owner is still emailing me with recommendations of how to take care of it, crank sizes, etc. It's a 52, which may or may not be slightly too large, but it was close enough to risk for that price. Once I get my cast off, I'm taking it in to my fitter.

3F63M53Ha5G45Ee5Hfcbn80b1d163739d183a-1.

• Like 1

They should allow you to extend the deadline due to the "work related injury".  It's not your fault you're laid up with a bad leg.

The problem isn't my office. All policies like this are run through the mothership in PA. We used to be a family-owned biz, but now we're a part of a group. We still have more autonomy than most in many situations, but over the years, the corporate necessities of running (we're now the largest, I think, in the nation)has dictated certain practices. I have personally benefitted greatly from the acquisition (significantly better benefits, money for raises over the years in tough economy, etc., killer office, and I've known the rules for years. I'll just take it, and plan better vacations next year.

The only thing I've ever wondered about is what if I wanted to take a "trip of a lifetime" type vacation in Dec. or Jan., etc. Although I can keep 40 hours on the books, what if I wanted two weeks and didn't have it? I suppose that could get worked out if I ever needed it.

hmmmm....three posts in a row.....

Today was the 1st anniversary of my dad's passing, but turned out a good day, lots of great memories of him while I minding my business going about town.  Laughed with my mom, and brothers.  Those of you drinkers out there, raise a toast to him tonight.  He was a wonderful man and dad, and though I miss him, he would appreciate a celebration of any sort.

On the excellent news front, I can now put some weight on my ankle and have taken more than a few steps around my home.  I may even vacuum tomorrow.  After six weeks of cat hair wafting across the tile.......

And on another excellent news front, I got my highest score ever in a vicious match of online boggle.  :prettyprincess:

Nine events today. Friggin' crazy. Just one quick story, then off to bed.

Lady at the pre-school this morning, one of the mom's and also a worker there (her husband was the photographer, same event that I've done for 5 years now, see them just this once per year)... she couldn't get over my new toy bags this year (the ones that replaced last year's that got stolen by the fucking brat neighborhood kids when I left my car unlocked one night). 3 separate times in front of these 3 and 4 year olds she innocently said, "Santa, you have such a nice big sack!"

After the third time when she walked out of the room to fetch yet another small batch of kids to bring in, I told the husband (just him and me in the room), "I'm a little worried about your wife's fascination with my "big sack!" I had him dying of laughter. He said, "You know, I was thinking the same thing! It sounds like she's talking about your nut sack!!!" He said he was going to give her a hard time about it, and tell her that we had our little chat to embarrass her.

She came back in the room with about 8 more kids and we got back to work. About 5 minutes into it, "Santa, you've got such a nice..." and before she could finish, he and I both burst into laughter. He couldn't hold his Nikon still for a couple of minutes. She said, "What's wrong? What did I do?" He said, "Don't worry... I'll tell you later." They're from Ireland, so she should know. Sack is a very European descriptor, me thinks? No?

Edited by Wmcmanus

Went to the 20th anniversary of a holiday party I've been going to since the 4th.

It's a Yankee swap and this year we had to bring art. I had a MetalPrint made of a photograph I took a couple of years ago in Death Valley, and it was stolen quite a few times, so that felt good.

I feel old, but loved.

she innocently said, "Santa, you have such a nice big sack!"After the third time when she walked out of the room to fetch yet another small batch of kids to bring in, I told the husband (just him and me in the room), "I'm a little worried about your wife's fascination with my "big sack!" I had him dying of laughter. He said, "You know, I was thinking the same thing! It sounds like she's talking about your nut sack!!!" He said he was going to give her a hard time about it, and tell her that we had our little chat to embarrass her.

Took out our daughter to a local farm for their Santa's workshop/toys/games/etc. thingie.  The website clearly said 11am-3pm.  We get there little past 11am and they tell us it's from 1pm-3pm and workshop area isn't open to public right now.  Luckily, we could still go see/talk to Santa and our daughter isn't quite old enough to realize that this (just seeing Santa) wasn't what had been promised.

Then we came home and I made some bread and homemade pop-tart thingies.