And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

"Hey Wayne;

Thank you very much for your kind act, however, considering your late response we had one of our committee members agree to be Santa. Albeit not as authentic looking as you, nevertheless, he is extremely excited about doing it.

Thank you very much again!

Fucktard"

"Considering your late response..." Ha! I sent an email at 3pm, which is 3.5 hours before the event. Felt that was an appropriate time frame, given the amount of notice I was given.

But still, I'm feeling a little guilty for some reason. Don't know why exactly.

My mom is arriving tomorrow to resume her Mrs. Claus duties after taking a break from it last year. So I really should be cleaning the place up a bit.

The guilt I was feeling was because I hate being disingenuous with people, even if that's the game they're playing with me. The reality is that he could have paid me, or at least offered to, so I really didn't appreciate the con job he was trying to pull on me. As a result, I delayed for as long as I possibly could before emailing him to say I'd be "happy" to do it, but could only stay for 45 minutes, neither of which was true. That didn't make me feel good about myself. On the other hand, had I done it for free this year, he would have tried to pull the same shit next year...

Edited by Wmcmanus
  • Like 1

"Dear Erick,

Look, I understand that this is what you do -- you get people to contribute, while keeping your costs down.  And I can see why from our exchange how it is that you're very good at what you do.  But you have to realize that this is what I do.  There is a lot involved -- I have to plan when in the year to start growing my beard out, and when to start bleaching it in such a way that it will still grow out the next year, for example.  And I have been doing this for years.  I have become very good at what I do.  There are a very few events that I will do at cost, and fewer yet that I will do for free.  And even in many of the cases where I choose to do it for free, I am still offered compensation which I refuse (for my own personal reasons), or I am implicitly offered an exchange of goods or services which is always appreciated.  Which of these and for why is none of anyone else's business but mine.  But I will mention that they are very few and for very personal reasons.

For future reference, it is only polite to offer to pay costs.  I realize your event may have started small -- more like a pot luck party where there is no hired help, everyone contributes in some way or another, but it has gotten big enough that it should be managed like a business.  And once it got to that point, you need to separate your contributors from the hired help.  You wouldn't ask the caterers to bring the food for free, would you?  Such as it is with me.  And a little advance notice is also in line with running this professionally as a charity.

Even then, don't expect anyone else to do this at cost on an annual basis.  If you want to elevate this to the next level, then please learn to manage your costs.

Sincerely,

Wayne aka the Santa Claus"

Erick == Entitled RICh Kid.

Wayne == keep things personal

the Santa Claus == remind him this is your profession

Braved the overcrowded airport for the trip home. For those on the fence about TSA Pre-Check, I highly recommend it. Zero line, no need to take off shoes, belt or remove electronics from the bag took a 30-45 minutes process to a 30 second process.

• Like 1

Now that was a nice movie.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Augsburger" data-cid="552794" data-time="1355987621"><p>

Hmmmm eye and virus, isn't that how this started?<br />

<br />

<a href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ewpYq9rgg3w'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ewpYq9rgg3w</a></p></blockquote>

Broke a compact fluorescent bulb which trying to remove the bulb just before I was going to bed (and I was really tired).  It broke in my hands.  Then as I was picking up pieces with my bare hands, I freaked out and remembered that they had some sort of poisonous substance in them.  So, of course, to the internet and found out that they contained mercury and then read about how I should have left the room, how I should have worn gloves to clean it up, how I should throw away the clothes, etc. .... I ended up opening the window and cleaning up a little with a paper towel (I couldn't find any gloves - I am at my parents' house and I couldn't find any gloves) and some sticky tape.  Also, opened a window for a while until I was sufficiently frozen and then closed it (being high 30s out side).  The bulb broke on the nightstand next to the bed.  Had a horrible sleep worried about getting mercury poisoning.  

Then I did a little more reading and my guess is that there is not all that much mercury in CF bulb and the epa and other sites are just being extra cautious.  So I am a little less freaked out but still not 100%.  Sigh.  I hate the fact that I worry about stuff so much.  

Then I did a little more reading and my guess is that there is not all that much mercury in CF bulb and the epa and other sites are just being extra cautious.  So I am a little less freaked out but still not 100%.  Sigh.  I hate the fact that I worry about stuff so much.  

Have you eaten any tuna lately? A lot more bioavailable mercury in tuna.