And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Damn, Haj. Feel better soon!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! We went to WI for dinner with the in- laws, which was pleasant and nice (not always the case).

Agree on cancelation policy. When I ran a private practice, I had one. The key is to tell them up front, including the amount, time needed to cancel without penalty, put it in writing and have them sign it . Maybe a deposit they'd lose? You can always decide to not charge them or charge less, if you think there was a good reason to cancel. It really makes people act suddenly more respectful of your time. And screen out the unreasonable ones, who jump out as much more obvious. The occasional business you lose is business you're better off not getting. Good luck!

Feel better soon Haj and your daughter as well!

The idea of the deposit up front as part of the cancelation policy is a great suggestion. I can imagine lots of wasted time trying to collect on the fee otherwise. Good luck Santa! [emoji318]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thankfully, we were both feeling little better by night time so we were able to partake upon some of the leftovers. We missed out on seeing the family (daughter and I stayed at in-laws house as the lunch/dinner is at another relatives house) but we'll get to see them next month.

As others have said, I think a cancellation policy would be a good idea, Santa.

• Like 2

Actually, I was thinking that Wayne would be upfront about it and explain why he was asking for a deposit.  Better to do that to the few clients that have shown it's necessary than to explain to all clients why he now asks for a deposit due to the actions of a few.

More or less what I thought, it somewhat depends on if he asks for an upfront deposit, or just states that x% would be charged on the account or CC if the performance is cancelled. Unsure what's culturally more adequate, but at some point it might be necessary being covered from everyone, even good clients who at some point may decide that canceling is a good idea. You need insurance from the facts that seem unexpected, not just from what you know is more likely to go wrong.

Thanks for all of the advice, guys.  I think I'll give it some thought in the off season, and will probably implement a cancellation policy beginning next year.  

A lot of Santas (and other performers) also use written contracts, but other than for the Ritz (who insisted on one) nobody in Cayman has ever asked for one.  I do technically need a Trade & Business License to operate (since I charge for my services), but only Government entities (libraries and public schools) have ever asked about that, since it's a requirement they must meet in their payment process.  In addition, a lot of Santas pay to get a background check done every year and have insurance that covers them up to a million dollars per incident (i.e., you drop some kid who cracks his or her head open).

I've held off on most of these types of "business" aspects of being Santa (as well as getting a website or doing any local promoting/advertising) because at heart I still think of myself as a hobbyist.  Or at least I don't want to lose that sense of just being out there for the kids, to have a lot of fun, and to spread joy.  But on the other hand, I don't want to be perceived as a "hack" so some of these types of things would actually help in terms of making what I do even that much more professional.

On the other side of it, I've had some amazing experiences as Santa and some clients who are just incredibly generous and appreciate.  There is one family that has hired me for about 10-12 years now, dating back to when I wouldn't take any money from anybody for any reason (not even from corporate clients).  My thinking hadn't yet "evolved" at that point!  I used to do it JUST for the kids, even though it cost quite a bit each year for candy, giveaway items, small toys, and wardrobe items.  So they would give me a bottle of rum because they just couldn't let me leave empty handed.  

Then for several years, I would ask them to write a check for $50 to a designated charity which rotated each year (and led to nothing but headaches from the charities to be honest).  Then one year, all of the lady's sons and son in laws matched her $50 check, so the charity got $300 that year.  Then eventually I became my own designated charity, but they still give me anywhere from $200 to $300 each year for a 1 hour visit, and usually a bottle of wine or scotch.  When the grandmother who hosts that event calls to schedule now, we have a chat like old friends and neither of us ever even mentions how much my fee will be.

Then I had the lady who was staying at the Ritz a couple of years ago who insisted that she give me a Christmas gift, and wanted to know what I wanted.  I told her that the only thing I wanted, which I had already bought for myself, was a new Santa suit.  She then insisted on seeing pictures of it, and then when she saw the pics insisted that she paid for it.  Her husband gave her permission so she wrote me a check for $2,000 in addition to the fee that she had previously agreed on!  Her husband told me as he walked me out of the hotel that he was just happy that I didn't tell her I wanted a car!

So those kinds of things live on in my memory and make me feel unbelievably blessed to have this opportunity each year to serve humanity in a very special way for about a month, being a rock star everywhere I go and watching kids get totally wrapped up in it.  Even at the grocery stores and at gas stations and in airports, and even when I'm wearing "Santa casual" clothes, there are moments in every day that make it all worthwhile (despite an occasional cancellation due to rain, or dealing with an idiot event coordinator who thinks I should cancel other scheduled events to meet her ever changing needs). 

• Like 6

After moving several months ago, the things I haven't been able to find are my cameras and backup hard drives. Been driving me crazy. So today retraced my steps and I went through each of the remaining 40ish boxes for the third time. Four boxes from the end I found them in a box labeled in big letters  "Cameras & HDDs."  :palm:

• Like 8

After moving several months ago, the things I haven't been able to find are my cameras and backup hard drives. Been driving me crazy. So today retraced my steps and I went through each of the remaining 40ish boxes for the third time. Four boxes from the end I found them in a box labeled in big letters  "Cameras & HDDs."  :palm:

I had a similar experience today.  Digging through stuff in my closet looking for a pair of elf green Crocs beach slippers that I wore last year for some of my Caribbean Santa events, I was surprised at how heavy one of my (Headcase certified) Red Oxx bags was, and sure enough there were the expensive Cannon binoculars I was looking for this summer when I was leaving for my baseball stadium tour.  Knew they were in this house somewhere!

Edited by Wmcmanus
  • Like 4

Met with the financial planner today.  I'm at least 5 and probably 8 years away from being able to retire.  Since I'm mentally ready now, that's not great.  At least I should be able to retire with dignity.

Sorry. I feel mentally ready to retire too, but I'll have to wait and wait, and then keep working a bit more. Five to eight years sounds like a lot, but you know as well as I do that time flies, so in no time we'll be cheering you for your retirement. Just keep healthy to enjoy it :)

• Like 4