Sennheiser HD 800 Redux

The Monkey

I did post about on HF today but basically I'm very happy with it.  It has even made me like... well tolerate RS-1's which says quite a bit.  The amp is simply effortless and that's usually the sign of something great. 

My only slight complaint is that it could do with a touch more bite with the HD800.  The Dynalo with the impedance adapter has a similar sound signature but more bite and HF presence.  Could be a tube issue though so I'll get some new ones from Doug when he's settled. 

For me this would be a choice between the GS-X Mk2 and the L-2 and you can't really go wrong with either. 

I love both amps.  Thanks to Doug I was able to listen to the L2 for couple of weeks.  If I don't already own the Gilmore Reference Balanced, I would have already bought the demo L2.  Birgir, have you had the chance to check out the DSHA-1?

This is his exact words:

Hi Purk,  

Unfortunately, I am sold out of DSHA-1's. A**y got the last one. I'm not sure whether I'll do another run or not -- I am kind of looking to move on to some other designs, but if demand warrants it I might do more of the 1's. 

Well, he didn't say anything about the L2.

I really enjoyed the L2 & DSHA-1 side-by-side when they were both here.  Radio_head was kind enough to loan me the DSHA-1 for 3 weeks while Doug sent over the L2 for two weeks.  Both are marvelous sounding amps and a bargain at the asking price.  I no longer have the HD800 with me, but both amps work wonder with my R10 & Qulia.  I almost pulled the trigger on the L2, but decided not to b/c I already have the Gilmore Reference Balanced.

Edited by purk

This is the problem of not being in it for the money, the will to do something new always outweighs the will for more money.  :)

Indeed! At least for now, the plan is to do a small run of Black Diamonds. I am just investigating some machining issues right now, so hopefully they'll be ready this fall. Work has also started on a DSHA-2, but I haven't even prototyped it yet, so it is probably a winter or spring thing, if it works at all.

• Like 3