RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

• 2 weeks later...

That really does hurt a lot. I love Click and Clack and all their corny humor. Tom especially seemed brilliant and I loved their joyful approach and amazing laughs.

RIP Tom and condolences to Ray. That sucks to lose your big brother too early and Alzheimer's couldn't have been any fun.

RIP Harry Pearson, aka HP of The Absolute Sound.  One of the originals in High End Audio reporting, when it meant a damn.  RIP to another great one.....

An email received from Chris Sommovigo via The High End Report:

It is with a heavy heart that we must share with you the sad news of the passing of a legendary man.

Last night, the evening of November 4th, Harry Hall Pearson Jr. passed away peacefully in his home in Sea Cliff, NY, at the age of 77.

Harry will be missed by those of us who loved him as a mentor, a friend, and as the standard-bearer for our mutual pursuits in the world of audio.

His legend will live on and echo throughout the audio industry, for Harry’s was the “Gold Standard” of audio journalism. His deep love of music, and the goal of realistic reproduction in the home, became the adopted enthusiasm for hundreds of thousands of audiophiles around the globe. His lexicon of audio vocabulary became the very patois with which audiophiles communicated amongst each other, especially audiophile journalists.

Harry’s contributions to the audio world are both measureless and timeless.

Thank you, Maestro, for everything.

Memorial services are being planned, and we will share that information with you once it becomes available.

I kind of lost interest in TAS when they went to a regular format magazine.

When it was still in "pocketbook" sized form, the staff that was assembled seemed more like a family or a "staff" who met regularly and enjoyed each others company.

Harry really had something going in those days and I really looked forward to read he and his staffs take how the home listening experience was becoming something you could take seriously.

I seldom read the audiophile press anymore but I have no problem giving HP his due.

RIP HP

My favorite recording has been released by different names at different times, but it is from 1963 (a good year if I say so myself) and was recorded in a medieval chapel in Arles, France. The Connoisseurs Society recorded and released it. My disc is called Manitas de Plata and Friends but there is a longer version they released as a three-record set. There are flac files floating around the web. I also like the Carnegie Hall recording and some others I cannot recall by name.

• Like 1