Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

this table and these chairs (along with some assorted knick knacks) from Ikea.

img0555jj2.jpg

just got done putting them together. the table was well engineered and easy to put together, but the chairs had stupid instructions (seriously, the way they suggest putting it together makes it almost impossible for one person to do it without exploding with rage, and there is an easy alternative to the way they suggest) and the part quality control can only be honestly described as hilarious. still, they are together and sturdy enough, certainly good enough for a kitchen dinette.

I have the same chairs but in a darker brown, maybe the instructions were written by this man

dicapriogilbertsy3.jpg

Well it's not quilted maple, but I kinda like the look of American Magnolia . . .

IMG_7782.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12274684940001

web.jpg

IMG_7789.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12274684630001

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

These ATC SCM 50 Anniversary speakers are stunning, moreso in sonics than looks, which is saying something. Many thanks to JP and Clarke who came in for the assist on getting speaker no. 2 up my front steps without breaking it or our backs. With some trepidation we fired them up for the first time and were universally underwhelmed. JP said later that he almost left in fear of my reaction, but these are self-powered speakers with three amplifiers on each side and they were crated for weeks. Within minutes everything started changing until they opened up and blew us all away (if I may speak for JP and Clarke for the moment). Even without the Doshi black unicorn in the system, I am confident that I made the right, yet rash, decision to buy these. I cannot wait to get the Doshi back this week all patched up and with XLR outs added to jack into these speakers properly. JP is to blame for where I am at, and I thank him for it. :cool:

So I meet up with Al and we proceed to go the the home of the seller of these ATC beasts and he opens up the garage and we are welcomed to the site of two HUGE boxes with canvas green carry straps on each end. These were much larger than I or AL had expected. I now know what it will be like for the pall bearers at my funeral because lifting these was like carry a dead fat man. Well Al and I managed to get these into the back of the mini van and headed black to his home. After I took a detour around the SFO area Al and I got to the business of unpacking one of these beauties.

Had we fully thought this out we might have taken them up the stairs in their shipping crates as the finish is a work of art. But no we unpacked them in the garage, wish we had filmed this, and were stunned to see them in person. I immediately began to freak out worrying that I might drop one of these while carrying them up the stairs. After Al smacked me a few times and called me several names I agreed to carry them up the flight of concrete stairs with him. They are not super heavy at 112 pounds but there is really not anywhere to grip them. We got the first one up the stairs and thanks god Clarke arrived to assist with speaker number two. Funny situation number two is two grown men lifting a speaker off the ground with armor piercing spikes on the bottom while man three tries to get discs the size of a dime (maybe smaller) under the spike so we do not trash the wood floor. Well after three hours we got them, picked up, unpacked, positioned and ready to fire up.

Listening to the ATCs last night was a real treat. At first they sounded blah and I was really worried. I was ready to run for the door but figured the amps were cold and the drivers had not moved in weeks as well, so I trotted off the kitchen for a beer and hung out for a few. After about a half hour they really began to sing and they improved steadily as the night progressed. These just about took my head clean off when listening to the Rain Song by Led Zep I heard things on that track I have never heard. We did listen to many great recordings as well in particular a Flamenco track that Al uses alot and holy shit the pick attack on these speakers was amazing.

I do however do not believe we were hearing these at their best as we were going direct out of the Emm Labs and the Doshi ALAAP pre should improve things a bit. The sound was the largest and full of life I have heard, not as defined as the Wilson Watt Puppies but better in all respect. This rig did nicely improve upon the Wilson>Ayre>Nagra combo we had heard earlier in the month.

After I got home I spent a solid 30 minutes cleaning out my drawers after hearing this rig. Al may have to host a Bay Area listening party (sorry Al for volunteering your home) these are simply too good to not be heard. Yeah Yeah they look nice and all but the sound is just amazing.

Good god Al, those look fantastic.

And why do I get the sense you'll be needing some longer XLR cables...

What gave it away, the fact that the cables are sticking straight out and over the EMM? :D We might have to talk, but first I am planning to trim the racks to two in that spot and try to position the speakers back a little and hopefully another foot apart. The amazing thing last night was that the coolest listening spot was sitting on the coffee table or floor between the speakers about a foot in front of them. Depending on the way this works out, I definitely may need some Nugget magic. ;)

those look good enough to eat.

I did lick one late last night in the heat of the moment. :P I stupidly worked after JP left until about 2:30, but I played music almost the entire time.

. . . After Al smacked me a few times and called me several names I agreed to carry them up the flight of concrete stairs with him. . . .

This really was like a scene from a movie where two morons are freaking out because their heist has gone wrong and they don't know what to do. :palm: Luckily, JP stopped crying like a little girl long enough to get them upstairs and all was well :D. Many, many thanks, once again because it was he who got me going on the Doshi and that led me to the ATC speakers that come highly recommended by Doshi himself as a great match with his phono/pre. He even does a few mods to the amp packs and the "minor issues" he takes with their presentation were somewhat apparent last night but nothing that makes me want to send them across the country.

sspeakerbaffles002600x4su3.jpg

I love dome mids too :)

Nice! It practically looks like the same driver.

Nice! It practically looks like the same driver.

good eyes, it indeed is a newer version of the one ATC used, minus the custom wave guide the ATC uses.

edit: actually, I suppose they are indeed different. The raw ATC driver is an SM75-150S... learn something new every day :) Looks like you can buy them here:

https://secure.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/48

Al,

Yet another sweet looking (and sounding) setup. Now I guess I know the answer to the question "What does it take to get Al away from his Harbeth's at the office" :)

The things you do to JP on his birthday week. First, he gets to miss Tampa, and them you need him for some "help" with a little unfinished business. I wonder how the pitch for that went.

... JP, I have a task for you. It involves the relocation of some merchandise, about the size and weight of a pair of dead bodies. As your counsel I advise you not to refuse this offer.:eek:

Now all you'll need is the matching ATC SCA 2 with SPH 2 option, if the White Unicorn doesn't do it for you.

So when is the listening party?;D

Agreed.

I thought they might be too bling from the pictures but they look very beautiful and classy in person, if maybe a bit bigger than I had anticipated. :o My wife chose these over the standard (non-anniversary) look which is more of a nice but plain cherry and no aircraft grade aluminum accents or built in acrylic spiked stand. If she wants them then who am I to deny her? :P

Perhaps they should replace the Harbeths in the office nearfield rig. >:D

I am already thought of as a kook for the Harbeths so if put these bad boys in my office I would be instantly de-equitized and wrapped up in a Billy-jacket. :cool:

Al,

Yet another sweet looking (and sounding) setup. Now I guess I know the answer to the question "What does it take to get Al away from his Harbeth's at the office" :)

The things you do to JP on his birthday week. First, he gets to miss Tampa, and them you need him for some "help" with a little unfinished business. I wonder how the pitch for that went.

... JP, I have a task for you. It involves the relocation of some merchandise, about the size and weight of a pair of dead bodies. As your counsel I advise you not to refuse this offer.:eek:

Now all you'll need is the matching ATC SCA 2 with SPH 2 option, if the White Unicorn doesn't do it for you.

So when is the listening party?;D

I am going quite Brit with my speaker choices lately, huh? I would love to have you and others over very soon. Must have the unicorn first, however. Not at all familiar with the ATC electronics so I will give them a glance for kicks. I have high hopes in the Doshi so it will be for information purposes only! :rolleyes:

they are very shiny.

Yes, but not bright. :)