What did you do today?

riceboy

I didn't yet update what the vet had to say about my dog Fred, so I'll do that now.

It is indeed Canine Diabetes, and even the Dr. was surprised at how sudden the disease has taken hold. I had absolutely no warning whatsoever, and then within 3 days he went way, way downhill. To start with my dog has been fed nothing but Science Diet dog food from the moment I got him. He never gets table scraps and the only treats he gets are carrots, which he loves.

However I got him from some people that couldn't keep him when he was 4 months old, so I have no idea what he ate before then. But still, I've had him for 6 years now.

He was literally running all over the house, playing like always until just a few weeks ago. The vet told me that the disease has caused severe damage already, and he didn't think we could expect much improvement at this stage, even with aggressive medication. He also told me that he expected that his feet would start hurting him to the point he couldn't walk very soon, and indeed today he started limping with one forefoot in the air. It's easy to tell that the other feet are sore too. Also today he started drinking much less water than he has been in the last few weeks. He's lost a hell of a lot of weight in two weeks as well. He just sleeps all day now, so I think it's time to have him put down, but that's gonna kill me!

It's the speed of all this that just has me stunned. I feel terrible about letting this happen, although the vet tells me there was no way I could've seen it coming so fast. I know he's a dog, but he really is my best buddy. Anyway I'm going to see how he feels tomorrow, and decide if I need to end his missery on Friday.

This sucks!

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really really sorry, Steve.

My day started with the vet as well. Stupid Ivan got in a fight and lost, and had to have kitty surgery. He'll be okay, but he's gotta stay at the vets for a few days. The other cat managed to take out a few chunks of skin and muscle on his back.

Got up early and flew to NYC for work. Staying at The Pierre, which seems quite swank. The Lounge looks like a good cocktailing spot, although I am hoping to make it to the East Village for a couple drink spots sometime in the next few days. The snacks spread was a good indication of the service and pampering. The mini bar selection and Fever Tree mixers sealed the deal. One problem, though. There are only one of each of the liquors. Might have to call for backup. :)

web.jpg?ver=12815621230001

web.jpg?ver=12815638410001

Hardest decisions I've ever made were when to put down my dear friends .. er ... dogs. I feel for you Steve but you'll make the right decision for Fred. Tears welled up just thinking about this. I'm looking over at Quest who turns 10 next month. Going to tear me apart when it's time.

It's okay to have remorse and to grieve. You haven't truly known what love is until you've been owned by a dog.

Oh, damn, Steve. I didn't see your post before blathering about the swanky hotel. Truly sorry you and Fred are going through this, and I know how hard the decision is to make. I still think about my last dog BillBob all the time and was looking just a couple days ago at the last pics we have of him. He looked awful with lumps and his front paws were so turned in from arthritis that I cringed. He was 14, though, and we had a lot longer time to make the tough decision.

The only advice I would dare to offer is to go with your gut and if you think he is really unhappy and uncomfortable do what you have to do. It is incredibly quick and painless for him. But if he is OK and not hurting and just has a different, sleepier life ahead for what time he has left then hang out with him while you can. We sure had old BillBob hobbling around for a long time, and carried him up and down stairs even toward the end, but the vet said he wasn't hurting and he seemed happy to be with us still.

Good luck buddy, and take care of yourself too.

Thanks guys.

Al, that's the hard part. For now he seems happy still. He wags his tail when I talk to him, and laps up all of my affection. To see him so crippled up is just damn hard though. He's doing pretty good about learning to cope with the sudden blindness already, although he still walks into walls now and then.

My Mom is encouraging me to put him down now, and that's making it harder to make a good judgment. I think I'm going to just tell her to stay out of this one, and I'll know when it's the right time. She means well, but is hardly making the best decisions herself at age 72, and turning into an old person quite rapidly. I'll ask her if she'd like me to be so quick to decide when to have her put down. :D

Actually you've helped me to decide that I'll wait a bit longer. At least until I know for sure he's no longer happy to be around.

Thanks!

I love the Pierre. Even though I lived in Manhattan, I would occasionally get a room at the Pierre when I wanted pampering for a day or five. Those days are long gone. :(

Al the Pierre is awesome, next to Central Park and lovely Park Avenue, not that you have any time to take a brief stroll or anything. I will trade you some Pliny The Elders for the Sonoma Cutrer and the Vueve Cliquot, what do you say? Is the Chardonnay the Les Pierres?

That hotel takes good care of it's guests you livin' large, the usual fleabags I stay in offer warm Bud Light and Tasmanian Shiraz.

Actually you've helped me to decide that I'll wait a bit longer. At least until I know for sure he's no longer happy to be around.

I'm sure that is the right decision - awful though it is when it finally comes down to it, you do get a real 6th sense of when it reaches the end of the road. And that is not where either of you are at this point.

Take care - tough times.

That really sucks Steve, best of luck. www.peacefulpartings.com A company my wife started in Colorado. Something similar might be available where you are.

I have spent the last four days travel around the world and finally made it home yesterday. Tired and overwhelmed with everything I have to do and what's going to be happening over the next couple days but it's good to be home. More to follow when I can think straight.

I'm sure that is the right decision - awful though it is when it finally comes down to it, you do get a real 6th sense of when it reaches the end of the road. And that is not where either of you are at this point.

Take care - tough times.

As Craig said, you'll know when it is time. I've been through this more times than I care to remember and it always sucks hard. But Fred will let you know when it is time. He'll know, and then you will know. So love him for a while longer and let him soak it up.

You're both in my thoughts.

Sorry to hear that Steve. It has been a little over a year since we had to have our older dog euthanized and we still talk about him. I'm sure you will know when it is time as you seem to be very close.

Glad you made it home Naaman. Get some rest, you'll need it.

I have a lot of catching up. Welcome home Naaman!

Steve, sorry to hear about your dog. Al gave you some good advice. We went through something similar with our first dog. We had to put him down but only when they said it was unlikely he would make it through the night.

Vicki, sorry to hear about you killer, I mean your cat. :)

Steve, I think you made the right decision, at least for now, and I think that's a good criteria. Good on you, and my thoughts are with you and your dog. I have heard of cases of feline diabetes being turned around with diet, I don't know if the same can be done in your dog's case.

Also, don't blame the diet -- sometimes diabetes just happens, it may not have anything to do with weight or diet, it might just be genetics. I think (this is not a vet talking, I remind you).

Naaman -- hurray!

Steve: It really really pains me to hear about your dog. I know you'll know the right thing to do if and when you need to do it because you are just that type of person. For now, enjoy the time you have with Fred.

Vicki: Hope kitty gets better soon.

Welcome back Naaman.

Al: I am jealous. Every hotel I have ever been put up in NY has been pretty much crap.