HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are looking into a 'budget' version but I think he's probably right that there is currently no new model being made. I'd assume all their efforts went into the 800 and the filter down will start once they are flowing and get sufficient feedback.

I think they are looking into a 'budget' version but I think he's probably right that there is currently no new model being made. I'd assume all their efforts went into the 800 and the filter down will start once they are flowing and get sufficient feedback.

Looks sensible to me that they keep their plans secret until they've recovered all they invested into the HD800 R+D.

Or at least until the revenue has subsided to the point of needing a little boost.

Given the apparent differences between the 800 series and the 600 series, I don't see what "trickle-down" could occur. Sticking 800-esque drivers in a 600 frame (or vice versa) would create an entirely new third series of headphones.

What was the time frame between the HE90 release and the HE60 release because thats where that statement trickle down went. Unless the HE90 was actually trickle down from the Unipolar 2000 of course.

It was 1991 for the HE90 and 1993 for the HE60 if I remeber correctly.

Edited by spritzer

Looks sensible to me that they keep their plans secret until they've recovered all they invested into the HD800 R+D.

You know, Sennheiser is a killer company, the kind of company I'd love HeadRoom to become in my wildest wet dream.

They invest in R&D as a strategic line item, and while accountants may measure R&D payback by product after the fact, those guys know shit because they've decided to stay on the cutting edge of knowing it. They'll get measured by accountants but they're driven by a passion for being the best in their chosen field. There are far too few companies I could say the same about.

The 800 sounded great, and if they don't manage to make the technological breakthroughs of the 800 trickle down in a timely manner (meaning 2-5 years) I'd be very surprised.

In the mean time, you can bet your sweet bippy they're going to ride this long and strong (I predict) wave of applause in the most profitable manner possible.

I'll bet anybody a six-pack of Belgian beer that this is not a FOTM type incident. What you're hearing in the voice of the folks that have heard it is not hype, but admiration.

Somebody hand me a Kool-Aid, I'm parched.

I'll bet anybody a six-pack of Belgian beer that this is not a FOTM type incident.

I wouldn't take that bet. Well, I would, but I'd enjoy a sixer of lambic with the grandaddy of headphones enough to buy it anyways.

Their HD6xx is not really FOTM at all. Even Spritzer likes the HD600. It's a well-engineered product that became a benchmark. I suspect it continues to sell well years after its introduction, though I've not seen the figures.

Though the HD800 is in a wholly different price bracket, it's not unthinkably expensive. Any enthusiast worth his salt could feasibly purchase one of these without lusting for more than a year or so.

The general public, moreso than the enthusiast public, expects a lot out of a $1400 pair of headphones. They expect them to be the best. If they actually turn out to be the best, or at least a contender for the best, these will be huge.

Billy:palm:...what have I told you about staying away from the jail bait?

18 is legal, besides i am a virgin (its my new years resolution) so my innocents transcends in only the purest thoughts and actions...

i said "almost", these girls are 20ish, i like it cause i don't have to see them at my bar during or after...

anyways...i hope to have my set of 800's by the meet but not sure what the chances of that happening.

ROFL. This thread is more entertaining than the other bitch-fest.

Hey, Tyll. What's up with Sennheiser. When I talked to Eric at the Sennheiser booth, he said something to the effect that the initial release will be very small, and "Headroom would be lucky to get even 20 units in the first batch".

Did they manage to track down the ones they lost at Logan airport?

-Ed

Oh, waaahhh... a new poster, proud of his Grados, and thread crapping?

Yeah, I outta know better. Really. Were that I could have dropped pegging on his ass... sure someone will fix this for me.

Oh, and Ed, my wife loves the pink fuzzy version.

McManus said something to the effect that the first run was allocated 200 units for the US, which were all but spoken for. No idea to validity.

Oh, waaahhh... a new poster, proud of his Grados, and thread crapping?

Yeah, I outta know better. Really. Were that I could have dropped pegging on his ass... sure someone will fix this for me.

Oh, and Ed, my wife loves the pink fuzzy version.

McManus said something to the effect that the first run was allocated 200 units for the US, which were all but spoken for. No idea to validity.

We'll have to make up a pair of pink cozies / headband cover for Beeley if he gets the HD800's in time for CanJam. :D

I hope what Sennheiser means is that it means to ship at least 200 units in the first batch, which means that Headroom gets the first 60 or so, then the rest get spread out to others like TTVJ, Moon Audio, etc. With Amazon being last.

-Ed