HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I recall reading in the thread over yonder that Voltron said Todd would be getting some of the same first batch along with Headroom.

That is correct. He also bumped up his initial allotment to 30 pairs and said today that Sennheiser believes the first to drop will be in mid-February instead of March.

ROFL. This thread is more entertaining than the other bitch-fest.

Hey, Tyll. What's up with Sennheiser. When I talked to Eric at the Sennheiser booth, he said something to the effect that the initial release will be very small, and "Headroom would be lucky to get even 20 units in the first batch".

Did they manage to track down the ones they lost at Logan airport?

-Ed

I was there when Eric said it. Not sure if he quite knew what he was talking about because he also thought the Benchmark had a better DAC than the EMMLabs CDSA. And the Benchmark was the best amp they tried it with. From my brief listen the Pico toppled the Benchmarks built in amp.

Edited by naamanf

I was there when Eric said it. Not sure if he quite knew what he was talking about because he also thought the Benchmark had a better DAC than the EMMLabs CDSA. And the Benchmark was the best amp they tried it with. From my brief listen the Pico toppled the Benchmarks built in amp.

Agreed on the Pico dac > Benchmark dac. Tyll and Todd have both told me the same story from the Sennheiser perspective. They will receive 65 and 30 respectively in the first shipment from Senn, and each have another chunk reserved for the second shipment if sales are brisk. Now, whether Senn has different plans for phasing those deliveries, I don't know, but the sales reps are tell Todd and Tyll to expect their initial orders in February sometime. Tyll is also expecting a single pair for HR to do tests and a full write-up. I am guessing Senn also has a few reserved to get into the hands of Stereophile, Absolute Sound, 6 Moons and whoever else they think could get them a decent review in a reasonable amount of time.

Agreed on the Pico dac > Benchmark dac. Tyll and Todd have both told me the same story from the Sennheiser perspective. They will receive 65 and 30 respectively in the first shipment from Senn, and each have another chunk reserved for the second shipment if sales are brisk. Now, whether Senn has different plans for phasing those deliveries, I don't know, but the sales reps are tell Todd and Tyll to expect their initial orders in February sometime. Tyll is also expecting a single pair for HR to do tests and a full write-up. I am guessing Senn also has a few reserved to get into the hands of Stereophile, Absolute Sound, 6 Moons and whoever else they think could get them a decent review in a reasonable amount of time.

cool that means we both are for sure getting ours in the first shipment! yes!!!

HD-800 HD-smeight hundred. When is Sennheiser going to bring back THIS thing?

rkzngg.jpg

The VSM-201 vocoder. Used by Kraftwerk; Wendy Carlos, and for SFX in the first Star Wars film. Appromately 9000 times cooler than an Orpheus. Probably sells for more on the used market, too. Thread crap, I know, but the VSM-201 is STILL my favorite Sennheiser product.

I'll have to have you come visit with Sherwood and Blutarsky to listen to mine when they get here. Should be fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't wait to hear an open heart inside my brain!

The first recording choice was mine: Lorraine Hunt Lieberson's Avie SACD of Handel arias. The HD 800s brought Lieberson's voice closer to me than I have ever before experienced it, even at live concerts. As the great mezzo-soprano bared her soul, it felt as if she was opening her heart inside my head. The sense of naked intimacy was breathtaking.

Tyll said over on HF yesterday that Senn has already sold out their entire first year production run of the 800s. That little write-up won't help the supply situation! :)

Also, the told me they already have orders for what they expected to be the entire first year's forecast. Guess they undershot that a bit.
I don't think that you're translating his statement correctly. But I'm not qualified to speak for Tyll, I'd ask him directly for clarification since I'm betting Sennheiser will be doing everything within their power to provide as many HD800s as Tyll and others can sell and won't limit themselves to what they originally anticipated for demand.

I'm betting Sennheiser will be doing everything within their power to provide as many HD800s as Tyll and others can sell and won't limit themselves to what they originally anticipated for demand.

They will try to make it seem like they are constantly sold out though......

They will try to make it seem like they are constantly sold out though......

I doubt they'll try to inflate demand like that. There may be supply issues regardless given the "hand built" nature of the product. I'm sure there's a limit to how many they can produce when pushed, heck if I know what that is.

I doubt they'll try to inflate demand like that.

Hmmmm, I really think that Sennheiser will milk it for all it is worth. Make it seem desirable and in really short supply, and it becomes the perfect halo for the rest of the product line. And when another manufacturer manages a competing product, there will magically be several lower priced/specced versions.