HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having posted those graphs, I'd point out that I still think they are having some issues with getting their measurements spot on with the new system. In the old system, the 650 and 600 had almost identical plots (with small differences in bass and treble response as expected). Now they are hugely different in the treble (and bass) region...

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=853&graphID[]=573

The new impedance curve is super interesting. Apart from the OTL tube issue, it's also going to mean that conventional solid-state integrated speaker amps with headphone outs aren't going to be able to power the HD800 without a lot of bass bloat either. I guess it's a non-issue, since anyone willing to spend the money on these will want a dedicated headphone amp too.

The new impedance curve is super interesting. Apart from the OTL tube issue, it's also going to mean that conventional solid-state integrated speaker amps with headphone outs aren't going to be able to power the HD800 without a lot of bass bloat either. I guess it's a non-issue, since anyone willing to spend the money on these will want a dedicated headphone amp too.

How so? As long as the output has low impedance that's pretty much all that matters. Or do all integrated have high output impedance headphone outs? Seems like a rather general statement to me. I'm pretty sure that some integrated amps have nice and low output impedance on the headphone outs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

Another Hello from a Member in Berkshire, although my backgroung is from Ireland / Wales / Scottish and cockney....''BIT OF AN ODD BALL'' you might say........look forward to corresponding with yourselves.

I am a new member to this site and have been reading some of the messages, still finding my feet here :eek::D

I am a huge AV enthusiast and really enjoy High grade headphones.

I currently have the Sennheiser HD 600 / HD 650's, the latter of which are in need of replacement Kimber cables from Russ Andrews, as the right hand side channel has snapped.

I shall also be purchasing a Kimber extension, which will have to wait until I have available cash flow.

From March to April See's the HD 800's released in the UK and shall be placing a deposit for a pair of these.......and shall also look for in reporting on this site about the results.

The Headphone amp that I shall be purchasing ''HOPEFULLY'' this year will be the Graham Slee Solo amp with the separate Power supply...and although not cheap are well worth the investment.

Sincere Regards to all of yourselves

Mark :);D

You're more than welcome. I'll let you know when I eventually have an ETA on them.

-edit- and hopefully I have a source besides my HT Omega soundcard by then :o

that would be good! I'll have the new Oppo BD player, but no idea how good it will be, that and my modded CD25, or a USB Opus.

Congrats on your new HD800. For myself I am more of the Ultrasone person, so I pre-ordered the UE8 for my portable possibly replacing my ESW10JPN. My wife told me not to sell my 10s so I will probably keep them. She thinks they are very collectible much like my Yamamoto HA-02. I know I am going to take some mouth about my choice but this is my preference in headphones.

Congrats on your new HD800. For myself I am more of the Ultrasone person, so I pre-ordered the UE8 for my portable possibly replacing my ESW10JPN. My wife told me not to sell my 10s so I will probably keep them. She thinks they are very collectible much like my Yamamoto HA-02. I know I am going to take some mouth about my choice but this is my preference in headphones.

Congrats. I'm not a big fan of the Ed.9 but it is all preference. When will your Ed.8 be shipped?

I have been thinking about coming up for that meet and bringing my portable and transportable stuff like the Dell Mini9, Pico, TTVJ, Nuforce Icon Mobile, iMod, Auricap Doc, Sansa Fuse, AT-ESW10JPN, SRS-005II, UE9 and if it comes in of course the UE8.

Maybe by then someone will have the HD800 there.