Go figure

grawk

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. Without giving too many details away...... is the variable gain in addition to a voltage divider on the input, or volume control solely from variable gain?

IIRC, many of these digital attenuator ICs do two things for volume control, a voltage divider on the input and switched gain resistors for the following opamp. You want an output voltage below that of the input, the opamp runs at unity gain and the voltage on the input is divided down. You want greater than the input voltage, it starts to increase the gain of the opamp. Now, I have absolutely no idea what IC Justin is using here, so it is definitely possible it could be working different, but this seems a likely configuration.

Mine's smaller than yours. Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah.

The shadow is very small amp, LESS than 2 inches in length, LESS than 1.5 inche in width & around .42" in hight. We are still thinking that this is very very small to pair with any iPod or iPhone. The battery will sit below the PC brd. We are considering moving the battery next to the PC brd which in this case the length & width will increase to match the NANO but we might get the height down to .3 of an inch.

All specs are not final. We reserve the right to change any or all.

Ray Samuels

Think these'll get lost at all?

Heh. Well that provides some valuable info. It means his battery is much smaller than the one I am using - so he can't be using the same volume control or it would never get the 10000 hour battery life required. It also means it will be push buttons or toggle switches, which I don't want to use mostly for 2 reasons: can't tell where the volume is without a display, and it loses the analog feel. I could probably shave off a couple hundredths of an inch by going with a weaker & harder to produce extrusion, but anymore than that and I'd have to start reducing the size of the battery and every mm will probably take 10 hours off the battery life. Why dont you ask how many steps and how much attenuation ;)

Looking at diameters of 3.5mm plugs, one of the thinnest is the Neutrik at 0.35". Grado 1/4 to 1/8" adapters are 0.435", and ALO uses some that are up to 0.5" diameter. Which means any amp that is thinner than the plug is potentially going to have issues stacking with a DAP.

Edited by justin