Beyer T1

Hopstretch

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice Al! By the way Al, how loose/tight do they fit (in comparison to other cans)? and of course, I am curious to hear your opinion after a long listening session.

A bit of a clamp but not too much. Overall pretty light and comfortable.

Congrats, Al ... looking forward to seeing and hearing these at the NorCal meet on Sat.

My take on the aes/ebu on the cable is that it qualifies as digital cable with 110 ohm impedance.

Probably right on that, Gene.

You find them particularly bass lite?

No, and I really don't think there is much I can say after a couple hours on the head and most of a day of breaking in. It seemed a little lighter on bass upon first putting them on to both me and a musician friend who listened for a few minutes. He thought the mids and upper mids were the most prominent with a lot of detail especially on the high end. He is not a headphone geek but he uses them all the time when making/recording music. I'd mostly agree with him, and I will post random comments as they break in. Others will be hearing them this week and at the meet on Saturday so some more thoughts will be available.

Do the back of the cups dent easily?

I'm not really going to try to do so, but the mesh is over some kind of stiff backing so it is not like the HD800.

The clamp will disappear over time as it is similar to other Beyers in that aspect, I have big ears but the comfort was fine for me. And yes, I would classify them as a little bit bass-light even if it was run from a C.E.C. HD53N which is on the warm side afaik but it's nothing wrong really. I will probably listen to that demo pair at a later time to see how much it changes. What I really liked is how 'right' the high notes sound.

Yup the clamp should get better over time. I thought everyone in the HF thread was saying the T1 had moar bass than the HD800. Perhaps breaking in the pads a little will make the sound bassier. It's good to know that the T1 is the first Beyer headphone in a long time to not completely overdo the bass reflex design, based on your impressions. Leather pads might cause the sound to be too far in the other direction and there might be too much (muddy) bass but there's no harm in trying.

Stumbled in here yesterday, I must say the discussion quite differs from the usual "uh, can't wait". My 2 cents:

I principally agree to the statement that the Beyers we have known until now aren't exactly technically advanced peaces of gear that are to be adored in the way of a W5K or so. Their strength is rather to be found in the field of sheer musicality, but their genre bandwidth is too restricted to have a large discipleship. Rock, Jazz & Classical only work acceptably IMO, but Ambient, Drum & Bass or IDM is quite a worthwhile experience with most "better" Beyers.

I didn't like the HD800 and most e-stats due to lacking musicality, so if the T1 really turns out to be a super-high-res DT880'600 with bass worth mentioning, that's a highender of my liking. :cool:

Rock, Jazz & Classical only work acceptably IMO, but Ambient, Drum & Bass or IDM is quite a worthwhile experience with most "better" Beyers.

Wow. That'd make the T1s a priority for me, I suppose.

The TakeT H2s were made from drum n bass and dubstep. I thought I knew what snare drums sounded like, then I got the Fugs, and I knew.

Oh, you meant the distortion spike. It makes sense to me that there will be increased harmonic distortion products with an increase in magnet strength due to eddy currents and whatnot. I still think that there is no point to increasing magnet strength and that achieving the appropriate SPL's in the electrical domain, in the form of proper amplification, instead of the mechanical seems to be the better choice.

I still think that there is no point to increasing magnet strength and that achieving the appropriate SPL's in the electrical domain, in the form of proper amplification, instead of the mechanical seems to be the better choice.

Hey now, the Qualia 010 had its awesome transverse pressed magnet technology.:D Although I must say that couldn't save it from sounding like ass from the headphone out of an old Denon receiver. I am indeed a believer in proper amplification.

I'm not sure I understand how sticking four magnets together makes the resulting magnet better able to retain strength, and thereby helps sound quality. Unless it means the strength as in structurally (still doesn't explain how it helps sound quality). And how do stronger magnets more accurately move the diaphragm? As it is now, both of those "facts" seem like a load of hogwash to me. I can understand a more constant magnetic field in which the voice coil moves, would more accurately move the diaphragm. Using a nanocomposite material for the diaphragm makes sense, since you can make a diaphragm that's stiffer and lighter. Radial VLD magnets also are a cool idea.

Stumbled in here yesterday, I must say the discussion quite differs from the usual "uh, can't wait". My 2 cents:

I principally agree to the statement that the Beyers we have known until now aren't exactly technically advanced peaces of gear that are to be adored in the way of a W5K or so. Their strength is rather to be found in the field of sheer musicality, but their genre bandwidth is too restricted to have a large discipleship. Rock, Jazz & Classical only work acceptably IMO, but Ambient, Drum & Bass or IDM is quite a worthwhile experience with most "better" Beyers.

I didn't like the HD800 and most e-stats due to lacking musicality, so if the T1 really turns out to be a super-high-res DT880'600 with bass worth mentioning, that's a highender of my liking. :cool:

A shame the latter isn't really music.

These measurements are of concern to me.

I don't think I understand what you mean by musicality, as I have yet to hear a beyer I enjoyed listening to music on.

I still think that there is no point to having magnets and that achieving the appropriate SPL's in the electrical domain, in the form of proper amplification, instead of the mechanical seems to be the better choice.

FIFY

A shame the latter isn't really music.

x2