Beyer T1

Hopstretch

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All-in-all, the T1 is a world class headphone. Beyerdynamic has outdone themselves, and I’m completely blown away. It used to be that Beyer was the number three entry in a two horse race between AKG and Sennheiser. At this point, I think AKG has got some catching up to do, and I’m hoping Sony and a few others join the frey , ‘cuz this latest generation of highly engineered, technologically sophisticated headphones appearing of late is delivering seriously good listening.

Beyer was No. 3 in a two horse race between AKG and Sennheiser?!

I think Beyer was arguably more like No. 7 or 8. :P

And two horse race between AKG and Senn? Senn wasn't even in the race (for dynamics) before the HD800, and AKG only had the K1000 which was not exactly a "normal" headphone.

Apparently Sony, Audio-Technica, Grado, and Stax were not competitive?

I'd most certainly argue with that statement. The HD-650 was definitely a leading headphone before the HD-800 came along, as were the HD-580 and HD-600 before that. And AKG was definitely making top tier headphones with the K340, K501 and later K701. The K1000 was and continues to be ground breaking. Sony, Audio-Technica, Grado, and Stax probably sold less volume than Senn., AKG and Beyer.

The fact that you might not care for the above mentioned headphones does not make them any less of a marketable success.

P.S.

If I thought I could get away with it, I'd most definitely name my business 'Ebony Erections Audio'. Yes I just noticed that. :)

Edited by swt61

Oh, I agree that the HD600, HD650, K501, K701 are good headphones, especially for the price. But are they truly "top-tier" level? Enough to call it a 'two horse race'?

I would hardly call the time period before the HD800 was introduced and after the K1000 was discontinued, a 'two horse race between Senn and AKG, with Beyer No. 3.'

Now, it may arguably be a race between Senn (HD800) and Beyer (T1), with AKG reliving past glories with the K1000 and all three covering the lower price levels well with the HD6x0, K70x and DTxxx models. Even so, this is still being a bit too dismissive of AT, Stax, Denon, Grado, etc.

Terminator_fading_eyes_by_jkno4u.jpg

I'm going to need one of these as a headphone stand. Todd came through and the T1 arrived today. The case is spectacular, and probably my favorite headphone case I own. The actual T1 headphones are much smaller than I expected, and I understand Todd's comment about people with big ears now. Comfortable on the head, and my ears do fit inside the cups, but I can feel them a bit. Might get used to it and not notice pretty quickly. Nice fit-n-finish, though, and an appealing design aesthetic. Sound pretty good out of the box, but pretty polite so far. Not much like other Beyers, which is a good thing as Padam says.

Here are some iPhone pics just to show the unveiling.

web.jpg?ver=12669512080001

web.jpg?ver=12669512540001

web.jpg?ver=12669509720001

web.jpg?ver=12669509430001

These are cool looking, but I am in the minority that likes the HD800's looks.

The cable is hefty, split L/R all the way to the plug, which is a Neutrik. The cable reads:

Peacock MKII2x2x0, 22mm2 (AWG24) - audio [aes/ebu] - OFC by Sommer Cable - Germany

Seems odd about the aes/ebu reference on the cable, but what do I know. :confused: Definitely going to balance these into a 4-pin XLR.