The analog thread.

Hopstretch

I got this month's Feedbands release and it had a significant warp in it. Enough that it trips the automatic arm return when playing. I had originally considered starting a dispute with the post office but for a $20 album, it is just not going to be worth my time.

Looking into it more, I think a good record weight would fix it all and one has been on my hit list for a while now. Does anyone have one they'd recommend over the basic, cheap, aluminum one from ebay?

I got this month's Feedbands release and it had a significant warp in it. Enough that it trips the automatic arm return when playing. I had originally considered starting a dispute with the post office but for a $20 album, it is just not going to be worth my time.

Looking into it more, I think a good record weight would fix it all and one has been on my hit list for a while now. Does anyone have one they'd recommend over the basic, cheap, aluminum one from ebay?

Try flattening the lp between a couple of good flat surfaces with a weight on top.

Examine the record to see if there's cupping or any other reason to put one side or the other up.

Leave it like that for a week or so.

I haven't done that for decades, but it used to help badly warped records to be just slightly warped sometimes.

The price is right!

Yeah - my first release that I got from them had lots of surface noise. I contacted them and they sent me a new one (not even asking to return the other). 

I would contact them - I am sure they will make it right. 

(I should spin mine to make sure - I am a little behind on my listening) 

I hadn't thought about contacting Feedbands. In the end, I was looking for an excuse to buy a record weight. So instead, I put the album in a spare sleeve and under a big pot with a flat bottom. If that doesn't work out, a calling I will go.

So rather than sell one of my turntables I decided to just put one in the headphone rig and one in the speaker rig.

I setup the SL1200mk2 after it sitting idle for maybe 3-4 years, and it fired up immediately. I got to admit it put a big smile on my face when it spun up.

Anyway I do need a new cartridge for it. I prefer MM carts because I don't like to mess with SUTs or high gain phono stages. For the time being I'll be using an ADL GT40 for the phono, but hope if I'm patient I'll be able to find an EAR 834P or something similarly "classic" at a good price used.

As far as the cart goes I'm thinking of the Ortofon 2M Black. Anyone used one of these? Seems to generally be the most popular MM cartridge out there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Instead of getting an invite I got a "your invite is scheduled to arrive" message, which (at least in my case) is on holiday weekend when many will be traveling, and only given 72 hours to respond, which all may point to not the greatest thought out customer service, but we'll see. At least they're communicating. You two get your scheduled emails?

Anyone here running a Dynavector cart? In the medium term (next year or so) I'm looking to upgrade my cart on the 1200. Was thinking of an Ortofon 2M Black, but since I run an Exact on my other table I was thinking of seeing what a LOMC has to offer.

I'm thinking the 20x2L, eventually adding a Dynavector P75. My understanding is Dynavectors are good rock/pop carts, which is 98% of my vinyl listening.

Headcase always wants me to spend more money.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm waffling all over the place regarding what cart to get, so I'm just going to relax until the decision pops into my head. I'll probably either end up with an Ortofon 2M Black or some kind of Dynavector.

Never mind just got a good deal on an Ortofon 2M Black on agon. Dynavector will have to wait.

Will post sweet pics once I get it aligned and y'all will be like woah.

I bet it will sound good.

Not that it matters any more, but I had a Dynavector 10x4 (old school baby) that came with my Scout and I was not a big fan of it. It was a bit too bright, but who knows it was moving magnet which are sensitive to capacitance loading. And since there was no lazy mans way to add/subtract that with my phono, I sold it.

• Like 1

Ortofon 2M Black is here, aligned and playing:

IMG_20140701_181816.jpg

IMG_20140701_181712.jpg

IMG_20140701_181745.jpg

Just aligned using the Technics Overhang Gauge. I've never done that before, I always used a baerwald arc alignment thing I downloaded from vinyl engine. This way was super easy, probably about 30 minutes all in to get it unboxed, aligned, and tracking force dialed in.

About halfway through my first side and I think the alignment is good. Some mild distortion at the end of vocals, but I think that might be crappy orange vinyl instead of alignment. We'll see how it treats the inner grooves. Eventually I'll give it the "Aja" test to find out for sure.

Significant upgrade from the KAB/Ortofon ProS30, as it should be. Significantly more punch to the midbass, significantly smoother and livelier midrange. PRaT out the ass, everything feels much more deliberate and correct.

Using an ADL GT40 as a phono, I have no clue what the capacitance is, Ortofon recommends between 150-300pf. I'll probably upgrade to a phono stage with adjustable capacitance in the future, but right now it sounds great.

Definitely a worthy upgrade. Good price on agon, $400, retails for $720.

• Like 4

Congrats on the new cart!

Just aligned using the Technics Overhang Gauge. I've never done that before, I always used a baerwald arc alignment thing I downloaded from vinyl engine. This way was super easy, probably about 30 minutes all in to get it unboxed, aligned, and tracking force dialed in.

Technics seems to use the Stevenson alignment points. 

Totally different from a Baerwald/Lofgren alignment, and IMO much more better. 

If you want to fine-tune it, you can print Stevenson protractors from Vinylengine. I have heard mixed reviews of the Techincs gauge - although that may be because the Technics gauge does not follow Baerwald and when people put it on their generic protractors (almost always Baerwald) to test it does not line up...

http://www.vinylengine.com/protractor-user-guide.shtml