The analog thread.

Hopstretch

Watcha think of the U-turn after a few albums? Looks great.

It is coming alive a bit more (sound-stage and warmth) -- the Jolida is warming up as well... (and Sara is a better pressing). I will have to spin a few things that I really know the quality and sound of. But plenty good to drop LPs on and play tunes outside of my main rig.

(modest system - U-turn Orbit (yes it is that green) - > Jolida JD9 pre -> Denon UDM5 -> Mission MS5 speakers) 

Is that cartridge an Ortofon OM?

Ortofon OM-5e

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. I traded a buddy for a turntable a while back, but it doesn't have a cart. It's a NAD 5040, which I think is a copy of a budget Rega  an ADC 1700 made by BSR (but with an ADC designed arm) from back in the day. I don't know what much of this means, other than "it's a turntable," and it's better than the lack of a turntable that I had before that.

So, before I go researching a ton of budget carts, and blah blah blah, I was going to see if you guys had any decent budget carts you had around, or would recommend looking for. I also don't have a phono stage, but I do have a little older Sony integrated amp with a phono stage that I was going to use with some Wharfedale Diamond II bookshelf speakers (10$ at a thrift store, killer bloody deal). I do have a NAD receiver I came across a year ago which is completely outdated for video (tops out at S-Vid), but still is decent for audio. Perhaps I'll wind up with a NAD phono pre for that one day.

Thanks.

**BRENT**

Is the AT440mla still around? King of the budget carts that I tried.

Either that or a budget ortofon would be where I'd start looking. Stick with MM carts if you want to use the phono in your receiver.

And sometimes those receiver phonos can sound pretty darn good, so live with it a while before you get an outboard phono.

Hey guys. I traded a buddy for a turntable a while back, but it doesn't have a cart. It's a NAD 5040, which I think is a copy of a budget Rega  an ADC 1700 made by BSR (but with an ADC designed arm) from back in the day. I don't know what much of this means, other than "it's a turntable," and it's better than the lack of a turntable that I had before that.

So, before I go researching a ton of budget carts, and blah blah blah, I was going to see if you guys had any decent budget carts you had around, or would recommend looking for. I also don't have a phono stage, but I do have a little older Sony integrated amp with a phono stage that I was going to use with some Wharfedale Diamond II bookshelf speakers (10$ at a thrift store, killer bloody deal). I do have a NAD receiver I came across a year ago which is completely outdated for video (tops out at S-Vid), but still is decent for audio. Perhaps I'll wind up with a NAD phono pre for that one day.

Thanks.

**BRENT**

I'm pretty impressed with my Ortofon 2M Blue (with NAD 555), and it works off a normal phono stage unlike my Benz Red L that needs a higher gain moving coil pre-amp.  I can't say the Benz is "hugely better" than the M2 Blue, which is a good bang for the buck.  I don't know if you consider $225 for a new one a bargain cartridge though.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Larry, I consider 225$ more of a "HC Budget" as opposed to "actual budget" range. If this was something I would use a ton, possibly, but I do most of my listening at work, so vinyl is more of a tertiary medium for me, since it will be another source at home.

**BRENT**

Edited by MexicanDragon