What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Nadja, When I See the Sun Always Shines on TV -- dirge-metal cover songs of My Bloody Valentine (okay), The Cure (of course), A-Ha (surprisingly good) and Kids in the Hall (WTFLOLCopter)

Bonus track:  God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen from Numbness.  Lollers/sauce-some

Also, "Numb" -- a 20 minute dirge/noise masterpiece.

I think my friend Dave said it best.  "Jesus and Mary Chain called, they want their schtick back...oh wait.. hang on.... really?  Pelican just called... they said they were totally high when they came up with name and... wait...conference call with Isis.

I don't think they're fans."

Love it.  Lollers.

Amy Macdonald - Life in a Beautiful Light

516u02ztUtL._SY300_.jpg

I'd be lying if I said I had some great story of how I found out about her.  But truth be told, I saw her on an episode of Top Gear from last season as a Star in a Reasonably Priced Car, thought she was utterly charming, loved the Scottish accent and figured if she had sold enough albums to have gone through 3 different Audi R8's and to currently drive a Ferrari 458, she must be doing something right.  The album does not disappoint...

Hacride, Back to Where You've Never Been -- you know how sometimes you can just look at an album cover, and there's a promise there?  I've been burned.  I've seen albums that looked like they promised a certain kind of music and delivered something else entirely.  Imagine if This is Spinal Tap (aka the black album) had a full album of "Listen (Sh!) to the Flower People".

This one, however...

Hacride-Back-to-Where-Youve-Never-Been.j

...yup, pretty much get what you expect -- proggy metal, almost technical (not quite Cynic technical, but lots of Helmet-y stop starty swagger), with extreme vocals.  I have no idea what they're singing about, but compared to most death metal that I've heard, it's almost distinguishable.  (Think Gojira.  Or think Sam Kinison.)

Dig!

Shortstraw -- Good Morning, Sunshine

artworks-000045144183-5cspr1-t500x500.jp

South African band. I like how they mix some distinctly local guitar rhythms in with their obvious US indie influences like Band of Horses, My Morning Jacket etc. It's a fun album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nk_0NIdPdI

Edit: See they're on Bandcamp.

http://shortstraw.bandcamp.com

Edited by Hopstretch
  • Like 1