What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

On 6/27/2023 at 11:36 PM, mikeymad said:

So, I was thinking about listening to some new prog.

So, I added a few things released this year to my playlist.

image.png

So, I might have bit off a bit more than I can chew. 

So, I will let y'all know.

Thanks for posting that, didn't realize Riverside had a new one.  Going to listen to it now soon.

Fauna is great, though.  I think I like it even better than Virus.

I might have to raid that chart for ideas, myself, I'm about ready to get back into something else other than my comfort music.

• Like 1

Good To Be...

Good To Be...
Keb'Mo'

https://album.link/i/1587995320

Example:

Almost too mello? Not sure that can happen with Keb'. Just a really nice listen. 

And

City to City

City to City
Gerry Rafferty

https://album.link/i/693606397

Example:

Yes it has Baker Street, and Right Down the Line but I thought I would share the opening track. I find it just lovely. First time listening to this/him as an album. Very solid and great writing throughout. It made me appreciate him as an artist. More on the country side of rock, than the rock side of country. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 9:48 AM, en480c4 said:

Ethel Cain - Preacher's Daughter

ethel-cain-preachers-daughter-768x768.jpg

I recognize that this is extremely on-brand for me, but holy hell this is good.  

Just circling back on this.  I know it's not for everyone, but JFC, this album still hits just as hard as it did a year ago, even after an obscene number of plays.  It's dark and achingly beautiful.  5 stars.

• Like 2

I have come across another one that I just don't get. 

I was listening to the podcast - Mayim Bialik's Breakdown - and she was interviewing Eric Hutchinson - and I was like, who? - and she was like fawning all over him and the 15th anniversary of his album Sounds Like This - and I was like, I don't think I know that one - and she was like, I could write a thesis on this song - and I was like, I got to listen to this album.

thx TIDAL:

Sounds Like This

Sounds Like This
Eric Hutchinson

https://album.link/i/275498144

Example:

Nah...... 🤷‍♂️

So, this fell into the Ed Sheeran big question mark in my head from before. I don't really get it, there was nothing really there, There was so much hand clapping, ooo ooo's, vocal doubling, etc. Is it just sing along music, like for kids? It had a little bit of a Jason Mraz feel, but I like Jason. 

I am not sharing as a recommendation, but more of a question. Am I the only one that does not get it?

Okay I will share one thing, just to prove I listened to the end and that there was some things that I enjoyed. There was a Beatles like tune - It Hasn't Been Long Enough, that was listenable. And the last 30 seconds of the last song had a killer subtle bass line in it. {should be queued up - but 3:31 starting}

I had to look it up. Oh, Chris Chaney, you know, Jane's Addiction great bass player!, Chris. I have to say that it was a good way to end an album.

Adding Nothing's Shocking to my playlist - thanks Eric.

On 7/1/2023 at 6:52 PM, mikeymad said:

I have come across another one that I just don't get. 

I was listening to the podcast - Mayim Bialik's Breakdown - and she was interviewing Eric Hutchinson - and I was like, who? - and she was like fawning all over him and the 15th anniversary of his album Sounds Like This - and I was like, I don't think I know that one - and she was like, I could write a thesis on this song - and I was like, I got to listen to this album.

thx TIDAL:

Sounds Like This

Sounds Like This
Eric Hutchinson

https://album.link/i/275498144

Example:

Nah...... 🤷‍♂️

So, this fell into the Ed Sheeran big question mark in my head from before. I don't really get it, there was nothing really there, There was so much hand clapping, ooo ooo's, vocal doubling, etc. Is it just sing along music, like for kids? It had a little bit of a Jason Mraz feel, but I like Jason. 

I am not sharing as a recommendation, but more of a question. Am I the only one that does not get it?

Okay I will share one thing, just to prove I listened to the end and that there was some things that I enjoyed. There was a Beatles like tune - It Hasn't Been Long Enough, that was listenable. And the last 30 seconds of the last song had a killer subtle bass line in it. {should be queued up - but 3:31 starting}

I had to look it up. Oh, Chris Chaney, you know, Jane's Addiction great bass player!, Chris. I have to say that it was a good way to end an album.

Adding Nothing's Shocking to my playlist - thanks Eric.

I got nothing.  It's actually a really nice song, but it's obviously lyrics oriented, and I'm not a lyrics listener, so...

I got nuthin'. 

(My life's too short for me to give it much more effort than one listen.  Sorry.)

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 6:52 PM, mikeymad said:

I don't really get it, there was nothing really there, There was so much hand clapping, ooo ooo's, vocal doubling, etc. Is it just sing along music, like for kids

It sounds like music written by a Large Language Model (Large Musical Model?) - a compilation of everything that came before. As such, it's the antithesis of creative, but it's perfectly structured for now.

• Like 3

Speaking of Speaking for itself:

Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section (OJC Remaster)

Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section (OJC Remaster)
Art Pepper

https://album.link/i/1443151711

Example:

I cannot want much more than Art playing a Gillespie tune. Well and all the other tunes on this album. It must have been pretty amazing to have been into jazz between 1955-64, and hearing these albums for the first time without standards being standards. Add more pepper to your day, it is a good thing.

• Like 5

Bruckner: Symphonies Nos. 1 & 5 / Wagner: Tristan und Isolde: Prelude & Liebestod

Bruckner: Symphonies Nos. 1 & 5 / Wagner: Tristan und Isolde: Prelude & Liebestod
Gewandhausorchester, Andris Nelsons

https://album.link/i/1600909330

Example:

I made sure to check on this one said '1&5', not '1-5' (lesson learned). Still took me two days, running 2.5 hours of big music. Bruckner wrote some moments that are symphony scale long. Not that the length is too long, but it is a lot of powerful stuff going on. It is some nice work being done here. I know Of Bruckner's work, more than I know it. And knowing his idol worship of Wagner. Why I guess they pair his and Richard's work so much (which I included). 

So, almost too dynamic? The first movement of the 5th, goes from super quiet, on the verge of my tinnitus, to holy poop turn the volume down. And I don't turn things down often. Maybe I am getting old, as I reach for another Werther's Original hard candy. This is a large orchestra recording, many many players, so they can really punch when called to. But it also puts you further back from the players. I would say it is well recorded by DG, if not my style of presentation. This is a part of a series of releases that get to all 9 symphonies. I may check out one of the other albums.  (open to recommendations as to which symphony to try beyond these) But the music is too dense to take it all in as a series. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Escape (2022 Remaster)

Escape (2022 Remaster)  {but should be ESC4P3}
Journey

https://album.link/i/1640102583

Example:

See Eric Hutchinson, this is how you do it!

Such a good album for the hits of the time. Now that I follow a few vocal reactors on YouTube, I can appreciate Steve's singing even more. It almost makes up for 'Open Arms'.... almost that is. I had to skip the track after about 30 seconds. But the rest of the album remains worthy.

• Like 1