December 14, 201213 yr comment_551647 Erlend Øye - Unrest (2003) I love me some of that Unrest. XTC — Skylarking Report
December 19, 201213 yr comment_552617 First CD I've listened to in months... Personal Best: The Harry Nilsson Anthology Report
December 21, 201213 yr comment_552975 Neurosis - The Eye of Every Storm Thanks for the recommendation Dusty! Report
December 22, 201213 yr comment_553060 Glad you like. [img=http://www.crf2.com/images/smilies/headbanger.gif] Me: Neurosis, The Eye of Every Storm, Spotify 'EP' version (Burn/Shelter/A Season in the Sky/I Can See You). These guys understand patience and how to build up an atmosphere like Ridley Scott did in Alien, and Talk Talk did on Spirit of Eden. I love that riff at 5:07 in "A Season in the Sky", and the song is half over by then. Including that one dissonant chord that sounds 'off' -- there's something so perfectly 'off' about it. Auto-tune must seem so quaint to them. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love a good blast of an album that doesn't let up, like Shotgun Messiah's Violent New Breed -- but too many other bands don't understand how to contrast dynamics like this. They think, "oh, let's just play a ballad", when what they needed to do instead is to just project -- I don't know what, whatever the mood entails -- malice, grief, transformation, an undercurrent of potential energy, a DC offset, premonition of the heaviness to come...something. NOW OATH BREAKDER SINKS LOW... I mean, they can even make a synthesizer throb heavy... Report
December 22, 201213 yr comment_553078 Dmitri Hvorostovsky - Kalinka: Russian Folk SongsThe last track is full of awesome. Report
December 22, 201213 yr comment_553130 Patenbrigade: Wolff, Baustopp! -- you would think from their album cover: ...that they're industrial or sprockets or somesuch, but they're actually very pretty electro, the kind with the words "chill" or "3am" in the title. Varah nahs! Report
December 24, 201213 yr comment_553323 About the only Christmas music I can tolerate is old school jazz, old school soul, Tchaikovsky, Puppini Sisters, and Reindeer Room. That last of which is what I've been listening to, on and off today. Also, King Crimson, Larks' Tongues in Aspic Report
December 24, 201213 yr comment_553358 https://soundcloud.com/olsentwinpeaks'>Olsen Twin Peaks -- they started following me on SoundCloud, I was intrigued by their hilarious name, their own description:Two gay boys with a lot of testosterone and synthesizers...They sure do make a lot of noise for two people. Report
December 25, 201213 yr comment_553496 Trans-Siberian Orchestra -- think of it as innoculation against Christmas carols, which are just a little too ear-wormy for me. Also queued up: Scrooge 1970 soundtrack. Report
December 26, 201213 yr comment_553652 Big Big Train, English Electric (part one) -- it's like in an alternate universe, Peter Gabriel era Genesis died, and then got reincarnated in this one. (Too convoluted?) Report
December 26, 201213 yr comment_553669 Big Big Train, English Electric (part one) -- it's like in an alternate universe, Peter Gabriel era Genesis died, and then got reincarnated in this one. (Too convoluted?) Thanks Dusty! It almost sounds like Tony Banks is right there. Report
December 27, 201213 yr comment_553797 Lyle Lovett: Tiny Desk Concert http://www.npr.org/event/music/166752674/lyle-lovett-tiny-desk-concert?autoplay=true Edited December 27, 201213 yr by mikeymad Report
December 28, 201213 yr comment_553812 The Pogues in Paris - 30th Anniversary show. Shane MacGowan ALMOST sounds, dare I say it, sober..... Report
December 28, 201213 yr comment_553828 Sera Una Noce from MA Recordings at 96K soon to be 172.4K on the next DVD . This is only possible because I roll with a ULN8 and the Molly Dooker Enchanted Path Cab/Shiraz. I highly recommend all of the above, but you can get a good deal on the Sera Una Noce DVD if you draw Brian (BHJazz) for the Christmas gift exchange. Thanks Brian, you got very good taste! Awesome detail in the music. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.