And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Sorry to hear that, too....do you have alternates? Hope it only gets better from here.

I gave notice earlier this week, and today the word spread like wildfire. I got some amazing emails that just swelled my ego big time. My favorite:

"...we're all very, very sad.....you were a shining light....a beacon in the darkness of IT.....sigh....you will be greatly missed"

Wow.....I'm a beacon of light B)

thanks guys.

chris, were you an operations research guy or some sort of niche engineering major? i only ask because operations research is what i am planning on doing next and just found out that columbia has a "better" OR program than most other places barring cmu. as much as i would like to be back in cambridge, i am starting to realize that i have to grow up and assume my responsibilities as an adult fairly soon. as such, attending a school that offers better placement might be the smarter thing to do. then again i dont know anything about columbia. any insight would be much appreciated. depending on how the first year goes, i will either pick financial engineering or go towards modeling dynamical systems (i think this is what you do but i might be mistaken).

thanks guys.

chris, were you an operations research guy or some sort of niche engineering major? i only ask because operations research is what i am planning on doing next and just found out that columbia has a "better" OR program than most other places barring cmu. as much as i would like to be back in cambridge, i am starting to realize that i have to grow up and assume my responsibilities as an adult fairly soon. as such, attending a school that offers better placement might be the smarter thing to do. then again i dont know anything about columbia. any insight would be much appreciated. depending on how the first year goes, i will either pick financial engineering or go towards modeling dynamical systems (i think this is what you do but i might be mistaken).

I'm a "niche engineer" I guess whatever that means. I got my PhD in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering (which is an engineering program not a architecture one). I'm afraid I can't offer any insight as to Columbia or any of the other schools other than out in the field I certainly can't find any correlation between a "better" or "worse" program and the quality of work out of people (at the active applied research level). I can find a correlation with their dickishness at being told they are wrong, which everyone is at time to time (I know I am). In my experience Caltech and MIT PhDs are the worst for this, they can't accept it or get petty, I think it has to do with spending so much of their young life thinking that they were the brilliant chosen few.

I'll only add that going to a school with strong industry ties is a good thing because if you do well then your professors liking you is a big plus in both finding a job and finding research funding later on (if those two aren't tied together).

Just came back from an appointment to check out the ongoing pain in my left wrist, which turned out to be a tendinitis. Now I have to wear this temporary cast for next 10 days to limit the movement of my thumb/wrist to see if that would improve the pain. If not, I'll have to go in for an orthopedic appointment.

Bummer, Haj, hope it gets better.....I went to a decent Orthopedist (?) in Westford off Rt 40 (also offices in downtown Lowell) if you're interested and it comes to that. Hope it doesn't though.....

I sent my "Goodbye and thanks" email today to over 200 people I support or work with. Mixed emotions - glad to be getting out of a "toxic" environment, but going to miss a lot of folks..... Have lunches with a bunch of folks the next 3 days :)