And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Jacob, What's with the interview? Wasn't it your ex-boss, and he loved your work? He should just hand you the job. I'm sure the interview is a mere formality. :)

Oh, and my neighbor has a Subaru wagon with 150k on it. With a factory installed McIntosh audio system built in. I'm just waiting for him to say he wants to sell it so I can jump on it for you... Unfortunately, he's a bit hard up for cash, right now, having just gone back to school.

Bryan,

Wow, what a busy week! Good luck! We'll have to celebrate your first real job with a glencairn of whiskey! :)

Edited by jvlgato

Good luck on the interviews Reks and Bryan.

^ Yes to this.

Just another day at work. Went to Crossfit after. They got an Airdyne. The coach put me on it for 15 min., 30 sec fast, 30 slow intervals. Holy hell. Spinning class is for wimps. This thing killed me.

SWN_Airdyne_3Q.tif.jpg

Got a C on an exam I thought I had aced this morning. Got a flat while leaving my office to get food. Smack in the middle of me putting the donut on it starts raining like crazy. No change of clothes so I go to walmart to buy some, come out and then this lady just floors her shit when I was getting out of my spot and fucks up my rear bumper completely and is now claiming severe back pain and mental trauma. Note that she hit me from behind. I get to the car shop and get the tire fixed. Go back to my office around 6pm to meet with a student who is far too smart to be taking my class and far too pretty not be a trophy. Went over some math with her for like an hour and then talked with her about the most trivial things for the next 6.5 hours. Can't remember the last time I had a normal conversation. Left school happy with a smile on my face which also happened in a while. Made me forget all about the shitty day I had had. But the evening was far too perfect. In typical Cj fashion I get pulled over for driving 54 in a 45 just before entering the highway and got a big ass ticket. My 3rd in 2 years I think so pretty sure I'm fucked now. I'd like to whine and bitch about it but as I write this post I can't help but think about the awesome time I had talking with such a lovely person. Somehow that fixes everything.

If only there wasn't that stupid code of professional ethics...may can't come fast enough. :(

that's what i'm hoping. i don't think they've even interviewed anybody else. of course, somebody more awesome might apply.

think he'd take knives in payment?

Impossible! Then he would go blind from over exposure to pure awesomeness!

My neighbor might take knives in payment, but not sure you'd actually choose the car over your knives! He also might take cooking classes or high end drinking classes. He actually is learning to drink like a HCer as I gradually learn! ;)

I certainly could. But I don't want to wait :(. It's the third time she stuck around to chat. Previous times she was around for a few hours as well. Often times I find students who need help with their grades doing that but she is the only one who has gotten perfect scores on all tests so far so she isn't doing it for a grade. Well at least I hope not...

Same age as me. Went to college a year early. Has double major in biochemistry and nursing. Currently is a practicing nurse and is now in medical school but is taking a partial differential equations course with me for "fun" this semester while considering starting a md phd program in mathematical biology. Can quote Oscar Wilde and Shakespeare on whim. Has a very wry sense of humor and above all is extremely well adjusted socially. I certainly am not and am learning a shitload just from our interactions. While not a priority, her being mind numbingly gorgeous doesn't hurt. Not one bit as long as you dont count last wednesdays class where i kept losing my train of thought and had to refrain from looking in her general direction to continue teaching. She has a habit of constantly taking me out of my comfort zone which is pretty small so it doesnt take much but as much discomfort as it causes i do enjoy it. Then again house did say that numbers don't lie. She is a hard 10 by all accounts. I am Maybe passable for a 5. 6 if I can claim a point for being a wee bit smart. As such I am playing waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my league here.

The realization that a conversation with her made me forget about an annoying a day as yesterday is cause for worry. Hell even as I got the ticket the "fuck my life" thought passed in an instant.

I'm sure no one wanted to read that teenage crap ridden post but I just don't care right now :)

I reiterate. May can't get here fast enough.

Edited by crappyjones123

While not a priority, her being mind numbingly gorgeous doesn't hurt.

I like that! As if to say, "Although I'm not a shallow man, I couldn't help but notice that she's rather attractive."

Not one bit as long as you dont count last wednesdays class where i kept losing my train of thought and had to refrain from looking in her general direction to continue teaching. She has a habit of constantly taking me out of my comfort zone...

I had to deal with a situation like this during a Spring semester many years ago.

If you're anything like me, and she is anything like her, then one day you'll show up to class and she'll shock the hell out of you... because she's wearing one of your sweatshirts!

May? Don't think we made it to the end of January. No regrets. It's not like she was looking for an A. She had that wrapped up all on her own. We spent a year together. Took me 10 years to get her out of my mind, and I doubt that I'll ever forget her completely. Long story there. Sadly, she's no longer with us.

She had been Miss Teen for the state of Ohio a couple of years earlier, so an easy 10. I'm a 7 rather than 5 but I lose a point for being an idiot, so that gets me back to the same 6 as you.

Edited by Wmcmanus

I just meant to say that I would still hold her in high regard even if she weren't as pretty.

Sweatshirt, check. But I wasn't shocked as she was cold and I always keep my MIT one in my office so I gave it to her before we walked to class. Even though it was oversized for her by quite a bit, she pulled it off. Said that she felt weird in MIT garb (went to Boston university) but I think she looked quite nice. Hope for different circumstances that lead to her wearing the sweatshirt next time.

I am quite certain it would be foolish to claim you are a 6. Santa alone gets you like 2 points. Then there's the whole being awesome part. Well above a 6.

I wish I had the gaul to say fuck the rules; I am going to ask her out now and I have come infinitely close to that on multiple occasions but there's that stupid voice in the back of my head that keeps stopping me. That I do mind. A lot. Then there's also that nagging doubt that she might feel obligated into something simply because she doesn't want to screw her grade up. Obviously I won't do that and I am fairly certain she wouldn't agree to going out unless she wanted to but after the grades are in then I get the actual answer with no doubt in my head. Of course that requires waiting for 3 months (fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu).

As sorry as I feel for her not being around anymore I am glad that you had a good enough time with her to where you still haven't forgotten about her. I haven't met anyone that cool yet but hope someday I will. Don't know why but I like hearing about such stories - the nice part before it abruptly ends. Gives me hope in a weird way. Perhaps if you are willing. Some day over a game of darts perhaps :).

Pics! I want to know what's considered a hard 10.

My standards certainly won't be the same as anyone elses and yours certainly would be different from mine. Out of respect I can't post them yet. If things go in the direction I hope then I will once I am in a position to do so.

She had a 10 when she quoted bertrand Russell - most people would rather die than think, while solving a pde in my office wearing my MIT sweatshirt and then discussing the kickass things she does around the hospital. Then I noticed she was pretty too :)

Edited by crappyjones123

She sounds pretty awesome, indeed, CJ!

A looong time ago, when I was in my early 30's, I was a fairly new attending doctor, doing psychiatric consults and giving some lectures at a local hospital which had a family practice residency. There was a 2nd year resident who I thought was really attractive. I won't rate myself in looks, but there’s no doubt that whatever I am, she is several numbers above me. Being a big pussy, (defined by Reks in the past – I’ll save him a post now!), rather than just ask her out, I stalked her around the hospital for a few months, hoping I’d run into her. I’d go to the medical staff lounge and see if she was listed as ‘in-house’ on the on-call computer paging system. Being a resident, she was pretty much always listed as ‘in-house’, because she was always on call. If she was in the hospital, I’d take a really long time doing my consults, take the long way to the patient’s room, and wander into the areas where I thought she might be. I ran into her once early on, but never again, so I finally had to not be a pussy – I got her number from the residency office, and just called her. That’s a big deal for wimpy me. We went out a few times, I found out she was really fun, interesting, down to earth, and really smart. She was in the honors societies from both college and med school.

So we’ve been married over 11 years now (to paraphrase one of my patients when I asked how long he’s been married, it’s been 8 happy years of marriage … and 3 really lousy ones! :lol: ) , and I would tell you to not let this chance slip by. I’ve had many other dates and girlfriends that I thought early on would be great, and which just didn’t work out, some of which were disastrous. But boy, you won’t know, unless you have the chance to find out. And after all these years, I wouldn’t minimize the importance of good looks. I think similar smarts and similar values are very important and need to be there for sure, but there’s nothing wrong with wanting to be attracted to the person you date/marry.

Funny thing … much later when we were dating seriously, and she knew I wasn’t an axe murderer, I told her how I had been stalking her for a while in the hospital. She laughed her ass off, and told me that computer paging system, which said she was in-house all the time, didn’t work at all. It was a legacy system that needed to display everyone in order for the pagers to work, and it listed everyone as in-house all the time, even when they were sitting at home, enjoying a drink! :P