And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Yesterday at the gym, I tried pushing myself to go a little lower than I have been going (to parallel) and did back squats instead of front squats.  Bad decision, I feel that I may have re-injured my piriformis muscle - I originally injured it doing physical therapy about 4 months after my surgery.  What is worse it that today I woke up with some pain and inflammation around the hip (which I also happened to get when I injured my piriformis before).  I am hoping that it isn't major and that rest and ice will help.  I am so fucking tired of being injured and going to doctors/physical therapy.  I suppose I should just stick with light weight front squats for the rest of my life.  :( 

Yesterday at the gym, I tried pushing myself to go a little lower than I have been going (to parallel) and did back squats instead of front squats.  Bad decision, I feel that I may have re-injured my piriformis muscle - I originally injured it doing physical therapy about 4 months after my surgery.  What is worse it that today I woke up with some pain and inflammation around the hip (which I also happened to get when I injured my piriformis before).  I am hoping that it isn't major and that rest and ice will help.  I am so fucking tired of being injured and going to doctors/physical therapy.  I suppose I should just stick with light weight front squats for the rest of my life.   :(

To add to getting higher heel height shoes and warming up/stretching properly, there may also be a form issue. Were you going to parallel before and are trying to go deeper or above parallel and trying to get to parallel? Going to parallel (and especially pausing there) is the worst thing you can do for your knees. Are you high bar or low bar squatting? Think about lifting with the posterior chain at the bottom of the hole instead of with your hip flexors or knees, and always keep your back arched, core tight, and your torso upright, especially in a high bar squat. Maybe someone who goes to the same gym who you trust is knowledgeable in the squat can check your form.

I have a feeling that it is more to do with my lack of flexibility in my hip (which was made worse after having a surgery) than form.  I just don't think it is good for me to be doing back squats with this problem especially at my age.  It really sucks but I am tired of inuries.  

To add to getting higher heel height shoes and warming up/stretching properly, there may also be a form issue. Were you going to parallel before and are trying to go deeper or above parallel and trying to get to parallel? Going to parallel (and especially pausing there) is the worst thing you can do for your knees. Are you high bar or low bar squatting? Think about lifting with the posterior chain at the bottom of the hole instead of with your hip flexors or knees, and always keep your back arched, core tight, and your torso upright, especially in a high bar squat. Maybe someone who goes to the same gym who you trust is knowledgeable in the squat can check your form.

It very well could be, but it doesn't hurt to make sure. :) Hope it's nothing major as others have said. I currently lift at a gym whose coach once held a world record (I believe it was in the clean and press) and wrote an encyclopedia for weightlifting, and there are several members competing at the national level so it's very humbling to lift with them and everything is very technique based, both in terms of preventing injury and lifting heavy. That ends up being the first thing I think about when lifting. There are older members at the gym as well including a former Chinese national weightlifter, who can still squat pretty damn heavy.

Unfortunately, I go to the university gym so about 90% of the people there have incorrect (really bad) form - it is hard to not say something to them.  They do have a couple of trainers and I think one of them is pretty good so that is an option.  If I end up going back to the physical therapist, I can ask one of the trainers there.

Get better soon Shelly!  As we age we just have to deal with our increasing physical limitations, as we'll get new ones on a regular basis until it's over.  I know it sucks to try to stay healthy when our body keeps letting us down.

So, we're in Pagosa Springs CO for spring break, and wife and kids go skiing at Wolf Creek Monday.  I'll stay in the condo and read or watch movies, due my lung issue.  Tuesday we'll spend a large part of the day at the hot springs, and return home Wednesday.  We had the condo till Thursday, but my wife has to work then - otherwise they would ski two days.

• Like 1

oh Shelly - ick - piriformis is evil.  sorry.

Seed Lady has a happy today...... for those who still wonder what was so thrilling at the Petaluma Seed Bank......

I now harvest the Asian Winged Beans.  They are great, and now I see why they are not in stores, very short

shelf life, they get droopy in 3-4 days.  Boiled or Steamed they taste like wonderful green beans, without big

seeds in the middle, they are tender.  They are large too.

Wing_bean_1.jpg

They are quite beefy switches, in keeping with the AR's tanklike construction.  I surmise what happened is that the dual-XLR-to-RCA adapter and requisite four XLR connectors were enough mass to get ahold of the poor switch and yank it sideways.  I'm not sure what was the boneheaded move by me that caused that part of the headphone cable to make contact with the switch, but such matters are academic at this point.  I have to get the AR repaired.  It's the center of my headphone/speaker rig.  I have used it every day since I got in late 2008, and I'm gonna miss it while it's gone.

Unless you happen to live next door to AR and your preamp is still under warranty, they'll probably direct you to an authorized repair guy near you.

For something as straightforward as this, I suggest you just check for a local guy with good reviews and just contact him directly.

My Convergent Audio Tech. preamp has those long handle switches too.

Unfortunately, I think that some of the manufacturers have stopped making the really long ones (silver contact). So matching existing switches may be tough.

On the fortunate side, they aren't that expensive and usually just have a couple of wires connected so replacing both wouldn't be that much more.

Bonnie, those are some crazy looking beans!

Retrieved BOTH of my cars from the mechanic.

I dropped the Smart off with Marty yesterday for routine maintenance. 

When i jumped in the Crown Vic to go to work, there was battery strangeness. I figured, OK, Maybe I didn't drive it enough last week. So I jumped it and drove it on the freeway for a while so it would have the chance to charge. No such luck. It ended up at Marty's for a new alternator.

Have I not made enough sacrifice to the automotive gods? I provide a good home for two of the things for fuck sake. I don't think it's too much to ask that at least one of them operate properly on any given day.

I drove Bonnie's Honda today - v-e-r-y carefully - lest it land at Marty's , too.