And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Signed a New Year pledge to exercise every day in 2011. Did it once before in my mid/late 40s - but it sure is a lot tougher in my mid 50's. Permanently tired. Running up to 5 miles a day, or an hour and a half in the gym.

Good on you sir. Not to discourage but the general thought among sports physiologists is to take at least one day totally off or at least really really light a week.

Good on you sir. Not to discourage but the general thought among sports physiologists is to take at least one day totally off or at least really really light a week.

Absolutely. Today was just a single mile, partly for the reason you said, but also because I was honestly knackered. Tomorrow as they say is another day.

The big thing is psychological - but as (when I'm fit!) I do ultra distance trail running, I know all about the battles with the mind.

Absolutely. Today was just a single mile, partly for the reason you said, but also because I was honestly knackered. Tomorrow as they say is another day.

The big thing is psychological - but as (when I'm fit!) I do ultra distance trail running, I know all about the battles with the mind.

Cool. I know how you feel on the knackered part. I'm in the final week of a standard 4 week build cycle and I've got around 6 more hours of riding in the aerobic zone to get in in the next 3 days and a high intensity weight lifting session. I am looking forward to my recover week of only 5.5hrs of working out next week.

I am doing this while attempting to maintain a pretty strict calorie restriction and while the weight is falling pretty rapidly I am feeling like shit when I clear more than 1.5 hrs into any particular workout. It's only going to get worse over then next 8-12 weeks as I have 2 more base cycles with long hours on the bike before I back off. I'm aiming for 400 hrs (plus race hours) this year.

Do you use a workout tracking software? I'm a big fan of Training Peaks.

I am doing this while attempting to maintain a pretty strict calorie restriction and while the weight is falling pretty rapidly I am feeling like shit when I clear more than 1.5 hrs into any particular workout. It's only going to get worse over then next 8-12 weeks as I have 2 more base cycles with long hours on the bike before I back off. I'm aiming for 400 hrs (plus race hours) this year.

Do you use a workout tracking software? I'm a big fan of Training Peaks.

Metabolising fat is a real bugger. Once the glycogen store has gone, and you're in the fat burn zone, it is total misery. I'm a stone or more over at the moment, so I know what I've got coming.

I don't tend to use software. If I'm training for something specific like a marathon or some long-distance stupidity I draw up an excel spreadsheet. You can't do any of this stuff without building up and grinding out the miles. Reckon that over the last 35 years I've covered the thick end of twice round the planet.

Reckon that over the last 35 years I've covered the thick end of twice round the planet.

:eek:

I'm aiming for 7000 or 8000 miles on the bike this year.

And yes metabolizing fat truly sucks. Some people are just naturals at it and I'm not. I know this guy (longtime cyclist) takes up marathon at 53 and does an under 12hrs in his first Ironman, blew me away.

is the UK even big enough to allow ultra distances?

Yeah - the big ones cover a lot of the country. The longest individual event is the Canal Run Grand Union Canal 145 mile Race - Welcome at 145 miles, from Birmigham to London. I've organised a Thames Path run twice, from the Thames Barrier to the Source, which is 185 miles, but as a relay with individual legs of between 5 and 20 miles. Both these are flat of course.

But the US has some of the toughest ultra trail runs in the World that UK trail runners would find really difficult to cope with.

I hear the Washington State to Maine trail is a real bastard.

Uh - looking that up, it is 2200 miles with 475,000 feet of ascent (er - 16 Everests). Apparently the record stands at about 47 days - or about 47 miles a day and 10,000 feet average. Jeeze.

In the UK, you'd have to do Lands End to John'o'Groats, back again, and then return to John'o'Groats to cover the same distance. And you'd never get that amount of ascent.

there is actually a Washington State to Maine trail?

Ah - I'd linked in to the Appalachian trail, for which the stats are correct. Much further from Washington State though.

Although there is a Transamerica trail, it is usually cycled. From Astoria Oregon to Yorktown Virginia, 4261 miles.

Or the Transameric run, LA to NY next due in 2011. Usually 64 days. Longest leg 59 miles.

Ah - I'd linked in to the Appalachian trail, for which the stats are correct. Much further from Washington State though.

Although there is a Transamerica trail, it is usually cycled. From Astoria Oregon to Yorktown Virginia, 4261 miles.

Or the Transameric run, LA to NY next due in 2011. Usually 64 days. Longest leg 59 miles.

If you're ever looking to do this I would love to put together a team (don't worry there's running):

Three Peaks Yacht Race

If you're ever looking to do this I would love to put together a team (don't worry there's running):

Three Peaks Yacht Race

It has crossed my mind, but it would have to be 2012 - I've just not got enough time to get that fit this year. But certainly count me in if you have a twinkle in your eye to do this particular ball breaker. My other big goal is another attempt on the Bob Graham Round in the English Lake District. 42 peaks, 66 miles, 29,000 feet of ascent. Has to be done in less than 24 hours. Had a go five years ago, and in spite of being as fit as a butcher's dog, got lost in heavy mist on the summits at 2am, so had to abort.

Skiddaw, Great Calva, Blencathra, Clough Head, Great Dodd, Watson's Dodd, Stybarrow Dodd, Raise, Whiteside, Helvellyn Lower Man, Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike, Dollywaggon Pike, Fairfield, Seat Sandal, Steel Fell, Calf Crag, Sargeant Man, High Raise, Thunacar Knott, Harriston Stickle, Pike'o'Stickle, Rosset Pike, Bow Fell, Esk Pike, Great End, Ill Crag, Broad Crag, Scafell Pike, Scafell, Yewbarrow, Red Pike, Steeple, Pillar, Kirk Fell, Great Gable, Green Gable, Brandreth, Grey Knotts, Dale Head, Hindscarth, Robinson.

Then relax.

It was my understanding that it's more than psychological, that your muscles actually need the downtime literally to grow. But I have to admit to only having an newb's understanding of these things.

it sounds like a pub, so it's probably a pub. it's the UK, isn't everything a pub?

Nothing much at John-o-Groats, it is just where the land runs out. And no pub. So a pretty unusual place.

and i think they all wear top hats and the lawyers wear wigs all the time, and they trade opium to china for tea. it's what the television tells me.

Yup. That is precisely what we're like - similar to the way that Family Guy portrays us.

Old school 'casers will remember that before I was the penis pumper, my custom title was "he ain't fraid no rat", due to an old HF post about a rat in my house (that I never found). Two houses and a number of years later, I still ain't fraid no rat (actually a mouse). Was sitting in my comfy chair watching TV. Heard a thump and a squeak in the fireplace, looked over and there was a mouse laying there stunned. Long chase ensued, ended up trapping it in a corner behind some boots and then got it with a makeshift spear (broom + old kitchen knife + tape). Got it in the spine, clean kill. Poor little bastard probably just felt a little warmth coming up the chimney and dove in.