And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Wee, the bad injector is open circuit, and the connectors on all of them are falling apart.

Looks like a set of 6 remanf fuel injectors (might as well replace them all while doing this), injector wiring harness, and misc intake gaskets will put this over $300 just to do myself. comp26.gif

Huzzah for more research. Looks like I can swap in the more reliable fuel injection setup from the later year Maximas that have the same engine (injectors, fuel rails, wiring harness, and lower intake manifold), and with any luck the injectors in one I pull from the junkyard will still work fine making the whole project waaaaaaay cheaper. Pull-A-Part only charges $0.89 for a 30-day warranty on each fuel injector too, so if any are DOA I can still go get different ones.

Just found out I actually got a 92 on an orgo test that I thought I had bunted. Knew how to do a sizable portion of the test but had to pick between two extremely similar answers which I don't like to do. Didn't have a good feeling coming out of the test but 92 with a class average of 41 (median 43) I am quite pleased with the 92.

Yay for gut instinct!

Does he get an organic cookie?

Gawd, I hated organic chem. Although ... in one of the labs, I once created matter! Yep, a great result would have been 80-90% yield. I got something like a 2000% yield.

Apparently confused my acid with my base, or vice versa, and just kept going and going. This was at the end of 2-3 days and who knows how many hours of lab time. My lab TA just rolled his eyes and sent me on my way. I lost points, obviously, but still passed the lab for doing everything else.

Btw, great job on the test, cj! So you're that ass who is always breaking the curve !? ;)

Edited by jvlgato

A good friend of mine, both a former student and a former colleague, died the other night. Hank was about 40, give or take a year. There are all sorts of rumors flying around at this point as to whether his death was from natural causes, or not. I've heard that he died in his sleep from suffocation, but I've also heard that he hung himself. He was quite overweight (even much more so than I am) and I know that he suffered from an extreme case of sleep apnea (whereas my case is quite mild), but it definitely gives me pause.

Hank was quite bright and had earned two master's degrees, yet for whatever reasons he couldn't ever seem to keep a job and was forever looking (in recent years, especially). His general disposition was kind of glum and at times he seemed almost expressionless; he didn't talk much and often seemed depressed about his physical appearance and lack of luck with women (which were things he did actually, and often, talk to me about). But he also had a masterful dry and sarcastic wit and an uncanny ability to express himself with very few words (think John Belushi with the eyebrows and devious grin followed by a cryptic comment but with no indication as to whether he was joking or not).

The students at the College all loved him as a teacher and advisor, I guess because of his verbal economy in the classroom and the fact that he was such an intent listener and sort of an eerily others-oriented person. He wanted all of his students to succeed, not only in his classes, but in their lives as well. Oddly enough, he never seemed to be able to make his own life work, yet he helped so many others to make their lives work.

He was the kind of person who seemed to know what everyone in the room was thinking, and could anticipate almost exactly, word for word, what they would say next. He watched people carefully. I remember one student telling me that one night just as she started to raise her hand in a class of about 30 people, Hank glanced up just for a split second and said, "We're on page 178, Lisa, problem 2." Then she went on to say, "I don't know how he does it. He was looking down at his book. He must have eyes on the top of his head, like flies do." When I asked Hank about it, he just said, "Whenever I sense movement in her general direction, I just assume that her brain has gone AWOL again." He didn't smile.

I'll sure miss him; he was a good, albeit little understood, man.

Autopsy showed that Hank's death was indeed a suicide. Helium. Never knew about that one. You learn something new every day, I suppose. Obviously, someone had to have known, but apparently they were trying to prevent it from getting out. Small Island, and such. Such a shame.

Why intelligent, and seemingly well grounded people would ever take their own lives is beyond me. Of course, now people here in Cayman are saying that they thought Hank was bi-polar all along, but I just think that's solution searching for a theory. From my perspective, he was a normal, every day guy, just like the rest of us. There were things (and people) he liked, stuff he thought was funny, stuff he thought was wrong, stuff that made him worry. He had stresses and joys, ups and downs.

I dunno, perhaps he had some sort of mental illness, but most of us are incapable of detecting that sort of thing, nor would be know what to recommend to someone even if we thought that might be the case. Besides, what may be considered signs of mental illness is to a trained mind, tend to be interpreted merely as signs of "bad day" to the casual observer. Sure, Hank had bad days, but lots of people I know have bad days.

Who would have known? Wish I had...