And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

@Fitz

As Steve has said, the impact screwdriver method (w penetrating oil) is probably your best first option.

If you end up breaking off the head of the allen bolt, then it will be time to resort to the easyout option (again w more penetrating oil)

I'm not a master carpenter like Steve; but I've rebuilt several Corvette engines and a Munice M-22 Rock Crusher, and had to resort to an easyout on multiple occasions - they can be coerced into doing their job.

This might be of interest

"Broken Bolt Removal"

T.

Cheer up, Crappy! I'm about to finish my MA in philosophy, so compared to me you might have a higher chance of scoring a job that actually pays something.

I always keep in mind that if all fails then I'll just start building headphone amps with bigger tubes and fatter cables than everyone else, and use only fancy enclosures with wood accents.

Edited by RudeWolf

I'm at the airport in Augusta, Georgia, waiting for my flight home. It was good to see family, and I actually met a lot of extended cousins and such for the first time, even if not under the best of circumstances.

It's called an impact screwdriver, and this has worked best for me over the years as well. The tapping breaks the threads free from corrosion, dirt etc...Though I still like to use a good penetrating oil along with this method.

I generally use my angle grinder with a metal cutting disc to make the groove for the flat head driver.

In summary, remember to lube it up good before tapping/grinding on that.

My family and friends are going through some really tough times right now and its especially weighing on me today. My brother was involved today in a four car pileup today and has disappeared before he could make it to the hospital. Family and his roommate is trying to find out what happened. I decided to help a friend who needed some serious support this weekend while going through a medical procedure instead of visiting my grandfather who is recovering from chemo. I'm doing all I can and hoping things turn out for the best.

I got one of those too sad.png quite difficult to put to use but it helped a lot on verbal portions of standardized tests.

What/who are you studying?

In BA I specialized mostly in cognitive sciences and philosophy of science/methodology, wrote a minor paper in Comparing the conceptions of ADD/ADHD between American and European schools of child psychiatry, the thesis was on Daniel Dennett and his theory of intentional strategies. Now I have put that aside a bit and I'm trying to analyze the anglo-american reading of Kantian ethics, namely the texts of Onora O'Neill.

So yeah, most likely I'll end up inventing my job. Or work in advertising as most [pseudo]intellectuals do these days...

My family and friends are going through some really tough times right now and its especially weighing on me today. My brother was involved today in a four car pileup today and has disappeared before he could make it to the hospital. Family and his roommate is trying to find out what happened. I decided to help a friend who needed some serious support this weekend while going through a medical procedure instead of visiting my grandfather who is recovering from chemo. I'm doing all I can and hoping things turn out for the best.

Wishing the best for you, your father, your friend and your grand father..

Well, November the 5th (Guy Fawkes Night) Came and went. The plan was for 100+ ex-pats in the Bay Area to Meet on Ocean Beach for the traditional, ritual immolation of the effigy of a defeated terrorist; However the weather intervened.

600_70563282.jpeg

We set up base camp, in a stiff breeze.

600_70563172.jpeg

Lined up the victims.

600_70563502.jpeg

And burned them one by one as the weather deteriorated, the wind picked up, and it rained and rained and rained.

600_71092792.jpeg

In fact it rained so much, that as we stood there, soaked to the skin, we were reminded of the old country.

We eventually decided that we'd had enough, so we packed up, abandoned the beach and regrouped at where else but a Pub called the Pig & Whistle. My, how we laughed.

http://www.meetup.com/brit-92/events/25646451/

Here's to next year!

It's called an impact screwdriver, and this has worked best for me over the years as well. The tapping breaks the threads free from corrosion, dirt etc...Though I still like to use a good penetrating oil along with this method.

I generally use my angle grinder with a metal cutting disc to make the groove for the flat head driver.

Yeah, I thought about that but it's in such a tight spot the only way to cut it is with a mini-hacksaw that has the blade sticking out the end. It's moot though, went back today and somebody else had already gotten the parts I wanted, by literally breaking the intake plenum in half. ohmy.png That thing aint thin and flimsy!

I did manage to piece together the parts I needed from 3 other cars though... fuel rails and injectors off one, wiring harness off another, and lower intake off a third. 2 of the injectors on it are bad, but I don't mind putting a little money towards this setup since it won't be as crappy as the original ones. Now I just have to take apart the intake on my car, which will be harder since I can't just go and cut/bend all the hoses and pipes. Then clean the plenum, manifold, throttle, IAC, and EGR while I have them all out. Fun.

As Steve has said, the impact screwdriver method (w penetrating oil) is probably your best first option.

If you end up breaking off the head of the allen bolt, then it will be time to resort to the easyout option (again w more penetrating oil)

Actually if the head broke off that'd be fine, at least on the one at the junkyard.

School set a good foundation, and gives me credibility, but that's about it.

My brother once said, "School is the tooth in the blow job of life..."

It was at a college party, and he was pretty messed up, as usual. I remember asking him about it a couple of days later and he didn't remember saying it or where he might have gotten it from, but knowing him, if it wasn't from a Dylan, Who or Stones album, chances are it was original.

Edited by Wmcmanus

My brother once said, "School is the tooth in the blow job of life..."

It was at a college party, and he was pretty messed up, as usual. I remember asking him about it a couple of days later and he didn't remember saying it or where he might have gotten it from, but knowing him, if it wasn't from a Dylan, Who or Stones album, chances are it was original.

:)