And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Went on a nice river cruise in Essex, MA. Some nice waterways in and around marshland, and then into larger bodies of water.

Except for a couple families with very small children, my wife and I were amongst the youngest. But the lady next to me was an absolute hoot!

The people were nice, scenery amazing, and it was all followed by a nice seafood dinner.

Edited by skullguise

Talked to the POA and found confirmed that our boat needs to be out of the lake by the middle of next month because they want to work on the dam and are going to lower the lake a couple feet and want all boats out. Really annoying because we're going to lose another months worth of good weather.

I hope it rains a lot in the spring because apparently last time they did this it took 2 years for the level to return to normal. Having a lake house with no lake isn't too great.

Great pics of Zion Mike... that's my favorite national park so far. We went in 2008 and hiked a lot of the trails there. I didn't get all the way up Angel's Landing due to my fear of heights... I took one look at the knife edge and turned right around. Next time I'm there, I will press onward. Glad you had a great time!

I had a great time at the Harvest Sun Music Festival on the weekend. My band opened up the festival. It was a treat to work with a world-class sound technician - it's so easy to perform when you don't have to struggle to hear what the rest of the band is doing.

ips4cg.jpg

24l2dsn.jpg

I also got to meet and hang out a bit with one of my all-time music idols - Bill Bourne. My kids had a great time, running with a large pack of preschoolers between various attractions, under occasional supervision but mostly just being free.

Nice! Any video to watch you performing?

My dad got a few songs on mini-DV tape before his camera battery died, and I got a pretty nice-sounding minidisc recording off the soundboard of the entire show. It'll probably take me awhile (kids, busy, lazy, etc.), but I'll get something up on youtube, or one of the concert archive sites, and point you toward it.

Looks about the same as my VA ID. Must be the same smart card technology for different agencies. I wonder if yours gets you through the airport faster? Ours supposedly does, though I've never tested it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Access_Card

CAC1-250x300.jpg

http://www.va.gov/pivproject/

cardspage_05.jpg

Edited by jvlgato

I'm stuck at a Hampton Inn without a bar - stuck drinking iced tea until tomorrow...

Got my daughter moved into her dorm room at college, and the baby bird is ready to kick us out of her nest now. We'll spend Wednesday and part of Thursday AM with her and then head out for another 3-day drive back home. My wife wanted to stay until Friday and the kid vetoed that, "It's party week until school starts Monday and I don't want to miss anything!"

They grow up way too fast. It's like that Subaru commercial where the dad is talking to this 6 year old girl sitting n the driver's seat, explaining to her how he wants her to drive safe while we're thinking "she's too young to drive, but after the camera cuts away to him it returns to her we see that the girl he's talking to is now all grown up instead.

I'll be doing this again with our other daughter next year, but she'll be studying in Colorado and wont be so far away. Three years after that our son goes to college and we'll be "empty nesters". Sigh...

Was delayed 2 hours getting out of Tampa today. Had a layover in Miami that was, oddly enough, scheduled to be 2 hours and 40 minutes. As I got off the plane in Miami, I quickly looked for the departures board and was relieved to learn that my flight to Cayman was departing out of Terminal D, where I had just arrived. So no problem, now I'm thinking that I have plenty of time. With a big sigh of relief, I wander into the men's room, take a whiz and then head to the sink to wash my hands, fiddle with my growing mop of hair and nit pick my beard for a few seconds. No big hurry, taking my sweet time.

Then as I walked back out into the corridor, I suddenly felt my entire right side from my hip down getting drenched with water. WTF?!?!? As I looked down, I realized my mistake. I was carrying my Red Oxx shoulder bag, the biggish thing called the "CPA briefcase" and as I approached the sink that I was intending to use, I set it down across the adjacent sink such that it sort of straddled the sink, and then obviously didn't pay any more attention to it. Apparently, it set the sensor off which then started the faucet and completely filled the open design side compartment with water. By the time I felt it on my hip, half of it had probably sloshed out. But thankfully there was a big trash bin right there and I turned the entire bag upside down and must have shook at least 16-24 ounces of water out of it.

Funny as hell. Thankfully all of the compartments were zipped up and only the outer pouch got filled with water. Some papers got a bit soaked in the small zipped center pocket on that side just because of the seepage, but my laptop was in a padded neoprene case inside the center compartment, so it was bone dry.

Still managed to make it to the duty free shop for 4 bottles of rum and scotch, and was the last one to board as they were about to take off without me.

Edited by Wmcmanus

That's one way to get more than 3 oz. of liquid on a plane...

Glad it was only a close call, Wayne, I would have been mortified at the potential loss of my laptop.

Ya, no kidding. Yet another reason to double protect it at all times. The nice thing about the Red Oxx bags is that the red liners are pretty much water proof, I've now learned. But I wouldn't want to test it for any longer than 30 seconds or so. I'm looking at it now, and the small compartment where a little bit of water seeped in is not lined with the red water proof material. But there is at least some degree of water resistance of the main fabric of the Red Oxx bags. Certainly more so than the typical bag. The reverse (non fabric) side is black and kind of vinyl looking. It was just damp inside that pocket, and thankfully nothing of value was in there.

Had the front of my Honda Fit crushed by a tractor-trailer while on my way to setup my classroom. At least the car is still drivable and it wasn't my fault.

I assume you're Ok. The car can be fixed. Frustrating though. You get stuck in a rental and then just hope they fix it right, etc. Can be a real PITA.