And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

4 hours ago, crappyjones123 said:

That's the part I am confused about. Usually people buy on downticks or when the trend line slope is negative...

I've been wanting to start a Google position for a while, and truthfully was going to get it regardless of price.  It's just funny is all.

i've finished paying off some debts and want to get some assets built up again.  

My plan is to get at least 100 shares before even thinking of offloading any.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EdipisReks said:

He forgot that "past performance is no guarantee of future results." In this case, "past" is yesterday and "future" is tomorrow.

Which is fine and all but from Jan 27, the price only went up and peaked to a 30 month high on the 2nd and the 4th highest it had been in 3 months. Granted there is no telling what the price might do the following day (no one sees $100 dips coming), none of the models I worked on suggested buying shares in such a spot. If sandwich man wanted to get a position regardless, then it doesn't matter what the price was. 

I put my meager savings of ~$5000 on Netflix when it was trading near ~$22. It's taken a turn for the worse since early December but I have no plans on selling it anytime soon. I was actually going to sell it next year to pay for tuition and not having to take out loans but I think I'll let it sit in my portfolio and sell when Julie is about to start med school. Hopefully they don't go bankrupt before then...

Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 09.19.19.png

35 minutes ago, MexicanDragon said:

Doesn't come across that way.

**BRENT**

Which is fine and all but from Jan 27, the price only went up and peaked to a 30 month high on the 2nd and the 4th highest it had been in 3 months. Granted there is no telling what the price might do the following day (no one sees $100 dips coming), none of the models I worked on suggested buying shares in such a spot. If sandwich man wanted to get a position regardless, then it doesn't matter what the price was. 

I put my meager savings of ~$5000 on Netflix when it was trading near ~$22. It's taken a turn for the worse since early December but I have no plans on selling it anytime soon. I was actually going to sell it next year to pay for tuition and not having to take out loans but I think I'll let it sit in my portfolio and sell when Julie is about to start med school. Hopefully they don't go bankrupt before then...

I don't know that I completely agree with Dan (about betting on the Super Bowl) but I certainly wouldn't put any money is a single company's stock unless I was fully prepared to lose that money.  I have some play money in individual stocks just for fun but I would never suggest that someone put a significant percentage of their savings in one. 

At the time I had $5000 saved up. I wasn't doing anything with it. If I were to sell all the shares right now I would profit $131000. Is this return the norm? Absolutely not. Had I sold it in December before it took a nosedive I would have made $165000. It's not money I depended on. It was put aside to purchase a car but when I got into MIT, I just left it in the savings account and forgot about it. A fellow math grad student had made quite a bit of money in the past so upon his suggestion I purchased Netflix. Don't regret the decision one bit. My retirement account on the other hand is diversified up the wazoo but has also gotten me a 2% net profit over the last 7 years. Slow and steady I guess.