The State of DACSES

18 hours ago, gepardcv said:

With all DSP turned off, I cannot hear meaningful differences between the ADI-2 and the dac1541, but I must admit I didn't try very hard.

Just to throw my 2c in, the RME ADI-2 Pro (DAC version should sound the same, from what I read) and Soekris dac1541 sounded fairly different to me. So I guess your mileage may vary.

• 5 months later...

Wanted to see what the hoopla is and bought Hal (aka Chord Qutest DAC).  Breaking it in, but I WILL say the included wallwart has very cheap build quality, e.g. contact quality where universal AC plugs click in. 

1129181904.jpg

Not fitting for a $1900 product IMHO.

46118282761_0a3b3a5a13.jpg1130180858 by drjlo2, on Flickr

Edited by Jon L

• 2 months later...

I rarely post here (only lurk to do research and buy an amplifier from Birgir :) ) however I had the opportunity to stop by Justin’s booth at CanJam and had a listen to the Brooklyn Bridge all in one.  I was completely blown away - even more so when listening to the new GSX Mini fronting it and bypassing the internal amplifier.  My primary listening is 2 channel TOTL Naim/Linn however that $3k Mytek was truly something else.  A Brooklyn Bridge/GSXMini at under $5k will run rings around a lot of high priced systems.  It is also a veritable Swiss Army Knife - UpnP, ROON, WiFi, and it will accept an attached USB hard drive and you can use the Mytek iOS app to scan and play music off of it.

Back to lurking

Best

Gregg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FWIW, there's some good press on the (latest revision) of the SMSL SU-8 DAC.  ESS 9038PRO chipset, remote control with preamp out.  I have one that hasn't left the box yet.  If it's for you Bryan (IE, the proverbial "friend") I can lend it to you for a bit....

Normal cost is I think $250.....sometimes on Massdrop for $200 or so.

• Like 1

I've only got direct experience with the dac1541 and ADI-2 Pro and DAC.

Generally I regard the RME to be a better deal than Soekris, if you think the features can help you. IMO the EQ can help out many headphones, especially bright stuff like the HD800. If you're used to THD in your chain, then the RME will sound too naked, even if it's the "right" sound. The headamp in the RME compares favorably to many of the dedicated stuff up to around 500$. Also the separate low-power IEM stage is virtually noiseless, which is good if you have something like a Campfire Andromeda or similar.

The Soekris does tick more "hi-fi" boxes. R2R, no-feedback discrete output stage... To me it's a sound that compliments the RME, as it's a tad more organic, mostly due to higher THD. I sometimes feel that the bass on the Soekris is weaker than on the RME, but I might just be imagining this. Both units have superb resolution and seemed virtually immune to source jitter, so I can't see much sense in clocking them externally.

• Like 4

On 5/16/2019 at 3:32 PM, skullguise said:

FWIW, there's some good press on the (latest revision) of the SMSL SU-8 DAC.  ESS 9038PRO chipset, remote control with preamp out.  I have one that hasn't left the box yet.  If it's for you Bryan (IE, the proverbial "friend") I can lend it to you for a bit....

Normal cost is I think $250.....sometimes on Massdrop for $200 or so.

Not to take anything away from the SU-8, as it does have very good reviews, and measures very well, but it's based on dual 9038Q2Ms, not the 9038PRO. The mobile Q2M chip has a lot lower price than the PRO (1/5 ish..) and the supporting circuitry can be simpler, thus a much lower cost final product

• 11 months later...

Unable to demo docs locally so at my usual disadvantage.  Haven't been to a meet since the last one I held.  Need your help.

Currently using a Resolution Audio Opus 21 primarily as a da converter paired with a luxman p1 (love the amp).  Handles 44/16 & 96/24.  Library is split between redbook (physical cds) and downloads (most 96/24).

Question #1.  Is there much difference between the Opus 21 (burr brown 1704 chipset) and current da converters?  

Before my divorce hoped to buy a NAD M51 (hey Shelly, care to talk about your spare?).  I was able to hear and like that dac.  Current DACs the Chord Qutest and Benchmark Dac3 seem to be within my budget and possibilities  I care more about a musical presentation than 100% accuracy so I'm guessing the Benchmark is probably not for me.

Question #2.  Am I on the right track?  I'm not really concerned about DSD or MQA and doubt I can hear a difference anymore beyond 96/24.  Sad to own up to the fact that I can't hear like I used to.

Edited by Aimless1