• 3 months later...
  • Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i ended up grabbing an Adcom GDA-700. the price was dirt cheap, it has the outputs i wanted, and it has all the old tech and sound i’m familiar with. no regrets.  

Got the Brooklyn Bridge this afternoon.  Still have a ton to figure out, but just listening to HiRes via Qobuz on old Emotiva power monitors I would say it is a hell of a DAC.  Shilling will begin soo

dac1541 is going to be the giant killer. r2r,sign/magnitude, fully balanced, and dsd for a price that is less than half of a yggy  

Posted Images

I'm looking to buy a R2R DAC that's commercially produced.  I've been looking at the Denafrips Pontus and want to stay in that price range.  Are there any others worth looking at?

55 minutes ago, RudeWolf said:

I liked Denfrips Ares and Terminator. Soekris dac1541 at your price range might work as well.

The Terminator looks great, was it worth the price?

3 hours ago, RudeWolf said:

I liked Denfrips Ares and Terminator. Soekris dac1541 at your price range might work as well.

I believe the Soekris dac1541 is discontinued now and has been replaced by the dac2541.  

3 hours ago, sbelyo said:

I'm looking to buy a R2R DAC that's commercially produced.  I've been looking at the Denafrips Pontus and want to stay in that price range.  Are there any others worth looking at?

I have the Denafrips Venus II and it's an amazing dac.

going off the deep end.... for USB strictly I am quite torn right now between Yggy Analog 2 with Unison or Denafrips Pontus II. Leaning Yggy. Just feels like Schiit has tried to solve USB the most. 

I had listened to the Yggy about three years ago at can jam nyc and didn't like the sound compared to my BIII at the time.  I've since built a BIII Pro 9028 and an all Salas power supply.  This was a huge improvement to the original BIII.  Has the Yggy gone through improvements since then?

Yggy absolutely must be used from the BAL connection, the SE is "just there" as a crutch. Supposedly the analog board upgrade made the sound less warm and more precise.

My experience with a 9018 Buffalo is that it needed a ton of tweaking to sound right. The FIFO board basically was what made it listenable.

Edited by RudeWolf
6 hours ago, RudeWolf said:

Yggy absolutely must be used from the BAL connection, the SE is "just there" as a crutch. Supposedly the analog board upgrade made the sound less warm and more precise.

My experience with a 9018 Buffalo is that it needed a ton of tweaking to sound right. The FIFO board basically was what made it listenable.

Definitely agree on the need tweaking part.  I'm getting ready to build my third one with a separate PSU for the AVCC along with DimDim's isolator board and TFT display