Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

I'd probably like the Dexter game, if I get to be a serial killer that kills bad people. Is there any way to hack in a character not in the game? If so I'd make a Ray Samuels character and kill him really slow and painfully. And his amps would definitely be involved. :D

sharpening service for a pair of custom knives that arrived beveled but not sharpened. not an unexpected situation, but the steel is too hard for me to sharpen them with my relatively fine grit stones. they should be real nice when i get them back.

Yeah, my lathe tools come that way too. I guess there's a valid reason for shipping them that way, I'm just not really sure I understand it.

My local sharpening guy does excellent work though, so no worries.

with Japanese kitchen knives, it's typically because the manufacturers expect the end users to put on their own preferred edge. these are knives that are made for professionals, i don't think that Japan has the amateur enthusiast market that the US does. it's only been since Japanese knives have started to become popular in America that the companies have been putting real edges on. something in the American psyche tells us that a product should be ready for use as soon as it comes out of the box. the knives i'm talking about were actually American made (and they seem to be really well made [the fit and finish and ergonomics are certainly way ahead of any Japanese market knives i've used or owned], though the sensibilities of their craftsmanship are a little different from a regular gyuto, despite being made in that style.), and i was hoping that they would be finished. i was a little bit deflated when i opened the box and saw that they weren't sharpened, i admit. i wanted to get choppin'!

i would normally sharpen them myself, as i have waterstones and i'm a fair hand at it, but i gave one a couple swipes on my 800 grit and realized that it would take me forever. all of the knives i have owned to this point were either sharpened out of the box, or were further along in the sharpening process, and the edges on these guys seem really hard, at least 63 or 64 rockwell. i could buy some 120 and 220 grit stones, but fuck it. if anyone is interested, i'm sending them here. he is apparently about the best in the US for japanese style knife sharpening, and i think the rates are pretty reasonable.

Reks,

Do you know if the Tojiro DP 210 needs this sharpening out of the box, been thinking of getting one on your recommendation

Pete