Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

I think we had more than the population of NH out of power for two weeks in Broward County alone after Hurricane Wilma.

Yeah, but they weren't at risk of freezing to death at the time. :o

Freezing trees are really cool if they aren't yours or likely to crash down on your house. Shame about the meet, Nate, and bigger shame about freezing your ass off in the basement to save your pipes. :rant:

Well that's just NH, I'm sure VT, ME and MA have their fair share of outages as well. I'll post up some pics when I'm back home. I'd say the trees in my front yard lost at least 25% of their branches. Last night it was like fireworks, you could just lay there and listen to the trees snapping in the forest.

CT has outages too, but not nearly as bad. The southern part of the state (including me, 20 min form New Haven) just got 4" of rain. We're having flood issues. I have water in my room right now, but I'll take some musty moldy smell over frozen pipes any day.

Yeah, but they weren't at risk of freezing to death at the time. :o

Freezing trees are really cool if they aren't yours or likely to crash down on your house. Shame about the meet, Nate, and bigger shame about freezing your ass off in the basement to save your pipes. :rant:

I was just making a comment on the population of NH versus Broward County.

Well, the East Coast certainly wins this round of "Who's more hardcore".

Colorado will have to get its A-game back for the next round.

Sorry about your trip, Nate, but I'm equally sorry for all the NYC attendees. The loss of N_Maher is a grave loss, indeed.

I've been home and I'm back at the in-laws tonight. I'll definitely be babysitting a heater tonight, it's 53 in the upstairs of the house, don't want it to get much colder than that for sure.

On my way home I took note, the last light I saw was 20+ miles from the house and still nothing remotely resembling a utility repair truck. Shit.

That sucks, dude. The contractor who's been working on my house is without power, but he says it should be back on by Monday. I hope for his sake that it is. He has a propane heater, but it needs electricity (for a blower fan?) Fortunately, he has a wood stove. So far, I've gotten off very lucky. Power is still on (knock on wood) but I do have about 3 inches of water in my basement. 0_o

#1 - 20lbs of propane - still no heat, still no power but the portable heater is mostly managing to keep up and not let things get any colder.

#2 - 4 bank electrical heater - my dad brought down a small generator today and we're using it to run this electrical heater in the upstairs which was loosing a degree every 6 hrs or so.

Tonight will be another night of babysitting heaters, it's supposed to get down into the single digits so hopefully the twin heater setup will be able to hold serve.

Nate, that sucks. Have you heard anything in terms of when they will have the power up?

No way to be sure, there is still a telephone/power pole across the road just over a mile from the house. It's snapped off half way up so it'll have to be replaced. I don't know if we're upstream or downstream from there but I still have yet to see anyone headed that way to start fixing it so I'm guessing tomorrow will be the earliest we might see power. At least the cold front is supposed to push through tonight and things may be as warm as 50 on Monday.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Beedle-Collectors-Offered-Exclusively-Amazon/dp/0956010903/ref=pd_bbs_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229204071&sr=8-6]Amazon.com: The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Collector's Edition (Offered Exclusively by Amazon): J. K. Rowling: Books[/ame]

For my sister for Christmas. She is a HUGE Harry Potter fan. So this way I get to see the book, and give it as a gift. :) Thanks for pointing this out Dan.

Also just bought a super secret christmas gift for my gift buddy. :eek:

I like the copper RF shield (?) around the tubes. Seems like nice attention to detail.

I think it is just for looks alone to reflect the light off the tubes through the glass. I really don't get why they have all the preamp circuitry at the front and the PSU stuck in between. Color me crazy but I like short signal paths.