Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

Open it up!

Sadly, I won't have it until next week. The seller won't be shipping it out until Monday. :-\

To discover it's a chinese copy? No way :P

Are the Chinese copying AR stuff now? :kitty:

The LS9 has a remote option right?

It does. I believe mine has it. Curiously, this unit was about the cheapest option I could find for a preamp with 2x balanced outputs. Audio Research gear tends to hold its value on the used market, but AR fanatics don't want the solid state equipment.

Sadly, I won't have it until next week. The seller won't be shipping it out until Monday. :-\

It does. I believe mine has it. Curiously, this unit was about the cheapest option I could find for a preamp with 2x balanced outputs. Audio Research gear tends to hold its value on the used market, but AR fanatics don't want the solid state equipment.

Agreed, and the hell of it is that AR does SS very well. I've been contemplating a similar pre. Not sure if I'll need one yet though.

I'm very afraid they are. I saw on Ebay one of those stores based in China selling "Audio Research-like" cases for electronics projects. The damn case was as a perfect reply of an AR as it can be, but for the AR brand prints. I guess that making the whole thing won't cost them very much and there's a lot of profit in it for them :palm:

Hopefully yours is the real deal, I don't think they'd go as far as faking the serial number plate, using as good quality connectors as your pics show, and having all the bolts perfectly flat and minty. I guess you can catch the fakes on those details.

I'm very afraid they are. I saw on Ebay one of those stores based in China selling "Audio Research-like" cases for electronics projects. The damn case was as a perfect reply of an AR as it can be, but for the AR brand prints. I guess that making the whole thing won't cost them very much and there's a lot of profit in it for them :palm:

Hopefully yours is the real deal, I don't think they'd go as far as faking the serial number plate, using as good quality connectors as your pics show, and having all the bolts perfectly flat and minty. I guess you can catch the fakes on those details.

Gah, that's horrible. I shouldn't be surprised, though. I suppose it's easier for them to fake the SS gear than the tube stuff, to boot. That said, the LS9 is a fairly uncommon unit. I have a feeling that if the Chinese were going to start making AR clones, they'd go for one of the SP series preamps or other models that are closer to the "normal" (taller) AR form factor. The seller I bought it from has quite a few feedbacks and a spotless record on Audiogon. I'm pretty sure the unit he is selling is the real McCoy. I should know by this time next week...

No worries, if the price you paid isn't a screaming bargain it's the real thing for sure. That's the other detail helping to spot fakes, the prices are always too good to be true. Moreover it'd be a new strategy of those scammers selling the gear directly from the destination country and not from China or any other far East country.

I didn't want to make you concerned, just kidding a bit. The picture showing such mint unit brought the idea into my mind, but I don't think those chinese copiers have gone this far yet.

Well, maybe the mic is there for the song introductions and/or Q&A sessions.

Either way, :prettyprincess:

Yep, you were right, although she joined in on a few other songs, it was mostly for talking between songs. I think there was probably a good 20-30 minutes worth of time spent introducing the singers and musicians over the course of the show, complete with ass-buttering praise (how many times can you say "sugoku" in one minute :palm:) and humorous/embarassing stories about everybody. I loved the bit when Kajiura and the violinist teased one of the girls real good about her playing "The World" on violin... she looked like she was gonna die (I think it was Keiko but I'm really not sure at this point).

The concert was all I expected and more, you gotta check it out. Some of the songs had to have some noticable changes to fit the live arrangement, but creates some interesting new takes on things (the opening violin part of Canta Per Me was done by the bassist instead of the violinist, for example). Kaori and Keiko are the ones who really stole the show though... at some points I thought they might throw the other two off the stage just to have more room to rock out. They more than made up for Yuuka's absence.

Right now this is my favorite concert DVD, but Ali Project is releasing a new one in January that might be a contender (the one they already released this year was a strings concert, which was certainly very good, but that's not the main reason anybody listens to Ali Project). :prettyprincess:

Yep, you were right, although she joined in on a few other songs, it was mostly for talking between songs. I think there was probably a good 20-30 minutes worth of time spent introducing the singers and musicians over the course of the show, complete with ass-buttering praise (how many times can you say "sugoku" in one minute :palm:) and humorous/embarassing stories about everybody. I loved the bit when Kajiura and the violinist teased one of the girls real good about her playing "The World" on violin... she looked like she was gonna die (I think it was Keiko but I'm really not sure at this point).

The concert was all I expected and more, you gotta check it out. Some of the songs had to have some noticable changes to fit the live arrangement, but creates some interesting new takes on things (the opening violin part of Canta Per Me was done by the bassist instead of the violinist, for example). Kaori and Keiko are the ones who really stole the show though... at some points I thought they might throw the other two off the stage just to have more room to rock out. They more than made up for Yuuka's absence.

Right now this is my favorite concert DVD, but Ali Project is releasing a new one in January that might be a contender (the one they already released this year was a strings concert, which was certainly very good, but that's not the main reason anybody listens to Ali Project). :prettyprincess:

:o

I don't usually watch music/concert videos (I just listen to the music), but this does sound very interesting. Thanks a lot for the detailed description of the DVD. ;D

My first turntable. My girlfriend got me a vintage marantz receiver for xmas, so I figured what the hell. I think I might have made a mistake as it sounds unreasonably good for what I paid. Time to go buy some vinyl. Pics tomorrow at the latest. :D

I'm sort of surprised at how good it sounds given the table is 15 years older than I am...

My first turntable. My girlfriend got me a vintage marantz receiver for xmas, so I figured what the hell. I think I might have made a mistake as it sounds unreasonably good for what I paid. Time to go buy some vinyl. Pics tomorrow at the latest. :D

I'm sort of surprised at how good it sounds given the table is 15 years older than I am...

Congrats on the tt!

Here is what my mail carrier brought me today:

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

Nate built me a power cord that was a surprise. Thanks! I just began to do some listening and it sounds great with my 650's.