Watches

Dusty Chalk

Yeah, I stand corrected. Didn't realize they had expanded their "elite" line -- basically, the upper left hand corner of this page. Looks like there are a couple others in the <US$1K range, including the Zillamatic, which I had looked at before, but dismissed for some reason. Don't remember. "Not black enough"? May have to revisit, in the not too distant future.

FML. The other day I went to fetch my college class ring to show my daughter, who was selecting her high school class ring, to show how it would look with a nice diamond in it. But it's not in it's usual hiding place (a can with hidden compartment) and I've torn the house apart looking for it.

In the process I went to see if it was moved to the small fire safe in the garage where I keep my grandfather's Rolex, and the box is gone too. I think there was a video from our wedding in there too, now gone. It looks like someone went behind the lawn mower and lawn tools in the garage to find it, and I wasn't paying attention for a while so I have no idea when it disappeared. That seemed like the spot that would get the least hot in a fire, so it would have a better chance of surviving. The Rolex is really the only jewelry I care about, so I'm pretty upset. I won't mind having a replacement class ring (the old one was worn smooth and was too small after I gained weight), but the watch was handed down to me 25 years ago when my grandfather died and has sentimental value.

On top of that, the insurance company no longer has any of the jewelry scheduled, so I have a $300 deductible to pay with a $5000 limit. Fortunately we don't have that much jewelry. Unfortunately our twice a month housekeeper was fired by the neighbors last year for taking food that wasn't given to her, but in 10 years she's never stolen from us and I really don't want to consider her a suspect. We've done a lot for her and her family over the years, and I don't think that she'd bite the hand that helps feed her. So, in this area I'm not sure what to do.

(as for the daughter, she impressed us by still picking the cheapest class ring, even though we agreed to pay for it as a reward for a 4.5 GPA in her junior year)

HpA -- I wouldn't rule out family, neither. I mean, someone knew where those were. Was anything else missing, or did someone seem to know exactly where they were and how to get to them. I know you don't want to believe it was family, but you know the old adage about solving mysteries -- rule out the impossible, and what's left is the solution.

And yeah, that sucks.

HpA -- I wouldn't rule out family, neither. I mean, someone knew where those were. Was anything else missing, or did someone seem to know exactly where they were and how to get to them. I know you don't want to believe it was family, but you know the old adage about solving mysteries -- rule out the impossible, and what's left is the solution.

And yeah, that sucks.

Yeah, it's been so long since I pulled them out to wear that it could have been anyone, including guests at a couple of parties.

But I thought the ring was in a can with false bottom, and the two strands of pearls are still there. So, that made me think I must have put the ring with the watch. The watch for sure was in a small portable firesafe, but only my wife and three teenage kids knew there was anything worth stealing in that. It was sitting on top of two larger fire safes made for 8x11 papers, and was the only one light enough to steal, while the larger ones weigh like 40 lb each. None of the kids has (or had) an abundance of money or new toys that we haven't paid for - they get a good chunk of money from my social security disability and don't need to steal.